Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you think FF will be announced at Photokina?
Yes 21632.58%
No 44767.42%
Voters: 663. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 125 Likes Search this Thread
09-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #736
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I finally figured it out... APS-H... The H stands for Hendriks.
Well since there is still no FF, I'm on track to something good.....

09-15-2014, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #737
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Within 9 months. That's my story.
09-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #738
Banned

As written previously, Ricoh is late 6-12 months in all their operations and delivery.
People have been reasonably expecting FF this Photokina, then the lenses (now only mentioned) to finally come, then TC to come in 2013, etc. But everything is shifted by 6-12 months in the future, making Ricoh behind the curve compared to the rest of industry. Which corresponds to early 2013 as the beginning of any more serious development (not 2012 as users have expected).
09-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #739
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to know that Ricoh was not lying when I asked them and they said "We regret to inform you that we currently do not have actual plan to put the full-frame DSLR camera on the market." Still, we live in hope for next year!

---------- Post added 09-16-14 at 10:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
As written previously, Ricoh is late 6-12 months in all their operations and delivery.
People have been reasonably expecting FF this Photokina, then the lenses (now only mentioned) to finally come, then TC to come in 2013, etc. But everything is shifted by 6-12 months in the future, making Ricoh behind the curve compared to the rest of industry. Which corresponds to early 2013 as the beginning of any more serious development (not 2012 as users have expected).
I'm assuming you mean 2015, not 2013?

09-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #740
Forum Member

Photokina 2014 - FF

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Good to know that Ricoh was not lying when I asked them and they said "We regret to inform you that we currently do not have actual plan to put the full-frame DSLR camera on the market." Still, we live in hope for next year!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... Maybe it's best to wait till the 2nd addition of Pentax FF gets released.
09-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #741
Veteran Member

That's my story and I'm sticking to it

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
And you can stick to it! Because it can always be '9 months out'
09-17-2014, 03:34 PM - 2 Likes   #742
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'm assuming you mean 2015, not 2013?
Development started in early 2013. Launch is for mid-2015 or thereabouts.
It seems it takes them 2+ years to design and launch an FF because — as far as I can see — it has something else beside being a DSLR. While 645Z required only 18 months to develop (early 2013 – mid 2014), the FF is another story.

Also, the new innovation line complicates things for our understanding of possible future products, as obviously K-S1 indicates there will be cameras that are more than traditional DSLRs. It is possible there will be two FFs as well. One plain vanilla FF based on the K-3, and the other .. a different beast altogether.

09-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #743
Veteran Member

While 645Z required only 18 months to develop (early 2013 – mid 2014), the FF is another story.
The 645Z still shares resources with the old 645 - e.g. basic body design, so that's prolly why its dev time was shorter.

Also, the new innovation line complicates things for our understanding of possible future products, as obviously K-S1 indicates there will be cameras that are more than traditional DSLRs. It is possible there will be two FFs as well. One plain vanilla FF based on the K-3, and the other .. a different beast altogether.
Maybe we're just interpreting the Ricoh rep's statement wrongly. What if he was just describing a line between entry-level and enthusiast? And not two entirely new product lines?
09-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #744
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Maybe we're just interpreting the Ricoh rep's statement wrongly. What if he was just describing a line between entry-level and enthusiast? And not two entirely new product lines?
Very difficult to say. To me it sounded the new innovation line is a parallel line, that expands products range by seeking all new users.
Here Ricoh Imaging does a significant shift from a traditional standpoint. The task for them now is to recruit all new users, and make them aware — through products that resemble in simplicity today's gadgets — that there is a world of image quality far beyond any gadget can offer.

It is a philosophy of not being content with 'shrinking market', or, forever doing a niche thing, but go against it and educate. It is a sort of new evangelisation of the market, to remind it that some things always matter in life, and cannot be reproduced by a simple smartphone 'click'. And that those things are not meant to be boring or look antiquated.

To do that kind of job, one cannot take a D600, D750 or D810 and do anything. You'll fail, crush and burn immediately.

You need a different approach altogether.
09-17-2014, 11:52 PM   #745
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Development started in early 2013. Launch is for mid-2015 or thereabouts.
It seems it takes them 2+ years to design and launch an FF because — as far as I can see — it has something else beside being a DSLR. While 645Z required only 18 months to develop (early 2013 – mid 2014), the FF is another story.

Aha. I understand what you mean now.
09-17-2014, 11:56 PM   #746
Pentaxian

So, that's when the new baby arrives ... (crossed fingers, with cramps already)
09-18-2014, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #747
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
The 645Z still shares resources with the old 645 - e.g. basic body design, so that's prolly why its dev time was shorter.
Lack of shared resources doesn't ring true as the reason for no FF. Take an FF sensor, redo the connecting electronics and shutter of course, then plop it into a K-3 body and keep the same interface. I'm not saying that's what Ricoh should do but demonstrating that a mythical FF can use what already exists.
09-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #748
pid
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Lack of shared resources doesn't ring true as the reason for no FF. Take an FF sensor, redo the connecting electronics and shutter of course, then plop it into a K-3 body and keep the same interface. I'm not saying that's what Ricoh should do but demonstrating that a mythical FF can use what already exists.
... that is what they should have done already. What they maybe want to release – something realy new – is what they could work on until they think it would be fine. No problem with that.
But not talking about their futureplans and strategy of FF since years now is just annoying.
09-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #749
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Not sure the market is ready for a FF sensor paired with a half frame viewfinder. I already miss too much in life- don't need another thing to add to the problem.
09-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #750
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I imagine that if what Ricoh Europe is saying is true, then we'll learn more at CP+.