Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you think FF will be announced at Photokina?
Yes 21632.58%
No 44767.42%
Voters: 663. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 125 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2014, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #751
Veteran Member

So, most brands released nice things at Photokina and Pentax went there with a kit lens? And another promise of a future camera... Seriously :/

09-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #752
mee
Veteran Member

Product timeline didn't allow for it.. and why be upset about that? They've showed what they have now.. They will release when it is ready.

Better than them cutting corners to appease a few people during the horse and pony show right?
09-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #753

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Product timeline didn't allow for it.. and why be upset about that? They've showed what they have now.. They will release when it is ready.

Better than them cutting corners to appease a few people during the horse and pony show right?
We're looking at a timeline that's the result of years and years of cutting corners.
09-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #754
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
So, most brands released nice things at Photokina and Pentax went there with a kit lens? And another promise of a future camera... Seriously :/
Other than Nikon and Leica, who released anything better than Pentax at Photokina? Just asking.

09-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #755
mee
Veteran Member

I don't think they've cut any corners on the products they've released. We simply got a very limited selection of products.. but that isn't Ricoh's fault.. the Pentax brand has been passed around like a hot potato for years and years. Now that it has settled we are getting 645Z and K-3's.. and hopefully a boatload more lenses and Sigma/Tamron support..
09-18-2014, 02:29 PM   #756
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
The price of free speech is accepting that sometimes you will be offended, although taking offence is a choice.
Let me take time amid this discussion to clear up a few points. First off, free speech, in the constitutional context that most people see it, is not necessarily allowed on this forum. While we allow and even encourage debate on all camera equipment, we frown on "Fan Boy" tactics, to the point of even having banned one person who couldn't resist every opportunity to insert his beloved brand. Secondly, we do not allow foul language, either expressly written or implied with letters followed by x's or by acronyms. That also applies to questionable language. This is a family forum and members are expected to act accordingly.

Let the conversation resume, but keep it civil.
09-18-2014, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #757
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Other than Nikon and Leica, who released anything better than Pentax at Photokina? Just asking.
sigma 150-600
fujifilm lenses !!!!!!! and xt1
samsung nx1 and 50-150/2.8
canon 7dII and lenses 400, 24-105 and something else....
olympus 40-150/2.8....
zeiss 50&35f2

pentax wgm1, 16-85 prototype....

09-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #758
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
pentax wgm1, 16-85 prototype....
Q-S1
K-S1
645Z
High magnification *zoom
Tele zoom
645 28~45

So what if Ricoh's release schedule intentionally avoids getting buried under another Nikon FF.
09-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #759
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did they DSLR or... Something else?

Within 9 months. That's my story.
Hoping for a MILC myself.... More usable lenses... But I'm a Heretic...

---------- Post added 09-18-14 at 09:50 PM ----------

An odd thought just caught me.... Uh Oh...

Speaking of great designs from 40+ years ago... Rollei3003 SLR. Maybe the FF is a mini 645z with everything every forum member ever posted (figuratively) add mine 50mp, instead of a regular DSLR format.

For those of you that are wondering, I worship to the Glass gods.... I want a functional 645 A glass adapter that works on FF / APSc bodies in full AF. Let'em figure that one out....
09-22-2014, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #760
Veteran Member

Q-S1
K-S1
645Z
High magnification *zoom
Tele zoom
645 28~45

So what if Ricoh's release schedule intentionally avoids getting buried under another Nikon FF.
The 645Z was not at photokina (not your point, I know). Those last three zooms aren't 'released' according to my vocabulary. Perhaps a quibble, but I won't call it released if I can't order it (haven't checked to see if you can order the 28-45). Heck on the K-mount zooms we don't even know the specs.

By my definitions we came out of photokina with the K-S1 and a 16-85 zoom. That's a shoddy Photokina for me; not a single product I would even consider. They might be planning to give me a product some other time, though, trading off the before-christmas benefit against being overwhelmed by other manufacturer's press releases.

Personally I think it's more likely that Ricoh is just having a hard time working out the economics and development time turnaround that the consumer imaging industry requires.
09-23-2014, 05:53 AM   #761
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Figuring stuff out...

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The 645Z was not at photokina (not your point, I know). Those last three zooms aren't 'released' according to my vocabulary. Perhaps a quibble, but I won't call it released if I can't order it (haven't checked to see if you can order the 28-45). Heck on the K-mount zooms we don't even know the specs.

By my definitions we came out of photokina with the K-S1 and a 16-85 zoom. That's a shoddy Photokina for me; not a single product I would even consider. They might be planning to give me a product some other time, though, trading off the before-christmas benefit against being overwhelmed by other manufacturer's press releases.

Personally I think it's more likely that Ricoh is just having a hard time working out the economics and development time turnaround that the consumer imaging industry requires.
I agree, RP is figuring stuff out.... On the 2 "unreleased" (I like your metric), or we can call them "announced and reinforced with prototypes", I see the "presentation as :
1-a bone for the FF ravenous
2-a bone for those that see the gaps for FF (trying to erase excuses in FF lenses "stealthily")
3-the most important one (long tele zoom)- a bone for serious shooters than are demanding long glass, longer than the current PTX kit offers need regular glass (less than large aperture) to fill to 560mm (since there is no 300 f2.8 (current) to be used with the TC, to support the sports/birdies crowd. This is the biggest weakness...
4-the next most important one (~70-200F2.8)... a perceived gap in the PTX kit in ZOOMABLE (is that a word?) capability at F2.8 between 135 and 200mm. I am willing to be at F4 with 60-250 DA*, but it appears that my willingness to use F4 is either a lack of skill/ understanding of how important the 65mm "zoomable" at F2.8 gap is... I know my silly framing may annoy a few, but with the sensitivity of K-3 and K-5II, I continue to be amazed an the clamoring for a 70-210 (APSC ~100-300) F2.8. On our forum it is the most requested glass. From an output point of view, I never saw a "100-300" F2.8 equivalent lens as a "dealbreaker" lens...
09-23-2014, 06:51 AM   #762
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote

Pentax wasn't all that boring compared to the other manufacturers. Generally though, this was the most boring Photokina ever. It seems more and more imaging companies are choosing to release products as soon as they come out.
09-23-2014, 07:13 AM   #763
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If everyone waited for an every 2 year trade show....

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Pentax wasn't all that boring compared to the other manufacturers. Generally though, this was the most boring Photokina ever. It seems more and more imaging companies are choosing to release products as soon as they come out.
We'd all be using Atari Pong machines, watching the "A-Team", eating TV dinners,and driving our Ramblers... and Taking pictures with Polaroid SX70s... It was boring, ElJamoquio is right... And all were pretty much boring. Sony is selling sensors inside Minoltas. With their latest financials, R/P will is the only player in the space with the financial strength of Canon. Now if they can just "avoid doing stupid stuff", like make equipment with Canon's quality and innovative shortfalls....
09-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #764

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
R/P will is the only player in the space with the financial strength of Canon
Samsung sells lots of phones. Sony isn't, uh, too small a company either.
09-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #765
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SONY is BROKE, Samsung is a sales co, a good one

QuoteOriginally posted by easyreeder Quote
Samsung sells lots of phones. Sony isn't, uh, too small a company either.
See last week's Financial Times article... SONY laid off 7000, more to come. CHIP plants not making money at current levels. They sell cameras to establish some "cache" for real buyers of imaging ships... cell phone makers....

Samsung does NOT compete in global imaging platforms at RP or Canon's level. Walk in to a Graphics shop in Seoul.... Japanese scanners and production printers... Samsung started with Pentax to "catch up". Had virtually NO photo before that...Wanted to buy it from Hoya. Rumor was PTX was too conservative for Samsung. I believe it....