Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2014, 10:44 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Know anyone who died waiting for Pentax FF?

I keep seeing this "FF year XXXX "; "Must be this YEAR!"; "Petition for FF" type threads since forever...

Maybe Pentax does not like demands the hard way.
So lets do it the soft way instead and send the head of Ricoh/Pentax some sad stories.

Any sob stories to tell, like "My friend waited and waited for the day and passed away last week.. holding his chest of K lenses " ?

02-25-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

02-25-2014, 10:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

What a wretched thought.
02-25-2014, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely a couple of the old timers on DPR have passed without seeing the Pentax Full Frame...

I do know one Pentaxian, who ended up buying the D645 and about 5 lenses... IT ended up breaking up his family as his wife had enough. He has done well with his photography when he is not on a drinkin' binge

02-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #5
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax is so poor they can barely launch those two basic models of crop sensor cameras.
645D comes out once in a while, because it looks like a giant DSLR and it costs a fortune by default, so Pentax does not have economy of scale problem with it. That is the only reason we have 645D and not FF.
Even 12 months ago, Pentax could not deliver the FF camera because the economy of their scale of operation and production is so tiny it was prohibiting any extra expenditure associated with a new sensor and few other technologies necessary for the FF.
02-25-2014, 11:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Haha... Now even Pentaxians are doomed.

I wonder how many people really still want K-mount FF? In other words: With all those other options out there who on earth is still waiting?
02-25-2014, 11:33 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

I reckon they should re-badge some basic little compact camera with the designation "FF", and in the press release, say "There's your FF. Now SHUT UP!!!"

Regards

02-25-2014, 11:46 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Sounds like a Robert Johnson recording, "K-mount Full Frame Blues".

I went to the film hut

fell down on my knees

I went to the film hut

fell down on my knees

Asked the Man behind the counter "Have mercy, now

give me full-frame Pentax, if you please."
02-26-2014, 12:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Cooool. You make me laugh. Keep it so.

On the other hand, I almost died of boredom reading the latest interview with Ricoh officials.
02-26-2014, 01:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Pentax is so poor they can barely launch those two basic models of crop sensor cameras.
645D comes out once in a while, because it looks like a giant DSLR and it costs a fortune by default, so Pentax does not have economy of scale problem with it. That is the only reason we have 645D and not FF.
Even 12 months ago, Pentax could not deliver the FF camera because the economy of their scale of operation and production is so tiny it was prohibiting any extra expenditure associated with a new sensor and few other technologies necessary for the FF.
Lot's of inside information or pure speculation?

Because it's awfully hard to believe considering the financial strength of Ricoh.
02-26-2014, 02:10 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Lot's of inside information or pure speculation?

Because it's awfully hard to believe considering the financial strength of Ricoh.
Mea culpa. Wanted to say "Pentax was so poor".
However, after the purchase for about 2% of the value of Nikon (consider how poor the company was, yet unrealistic users want it to rival Nikon in FF delivery!), the aim as to
1) integrate the company into the Ricoh first, then
2) optimise the planning, development and manufacturing processes

The result of previous poverty, plus two following steps, have left the FF out of the question for a while. FF can be done, though, but introduced at a competitive price and features only if everything else works well, systems are integrated, there is clear development plan of all camera lines, shared components, etc.

There was also no point introducing the FF before some crucial new technologies come, like the new AF, image processor, metering sensor, so forth. All new tech was prioritised to go into the APS-C line — the K-3 first — and shared between the 645D and the FF.

The FF launch is expected to follow the K-3 launch scenario. Revamped FA limiteds will be introduced, then the new FF body, and at least two new lenses (zooms) with an FF image circle. One of them will go beyond 300mm that was mentioned vaguely in the last interview. Interestingly, little is known about the image stabilisation solution in the new FF.

Last edited by Uluru; 02-26-2014 at 02:16 AM.
02-26-2014, 02:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

"is poor" might still be applicable. Up untill now we've only seen products that were already in Hoya's pipeline. I wonder what's going to happen when that Hoya-well dries out.
02-26-2014, 03:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Mea culpa. Wanted to say "Pentax was so poor".
However, after the purchase for about 2% of the value of Nikon (consider how poor the company was, yet unrealistic users want it to rival Nikon in FF delivery!), the aim as to
1) integrate the company into the Ricoh first, then
2) optimise the planning, development and manufacturing processes

The result of previous poverty, plus two following steps, have left the FF out of the question for a while. FF can be done, though, but introduced at a competitive price and features only if everything else works well, systems are integrated, there is clear development plan of all camera lines, shared components, etc.

There was also no point introducing the FF before some crucial new technologies come, like the new AF, image processor, metering sensor, so forth. All new tech was prioritised to go into the APS-C line — the K-3 first — and shared between the 645D and the FF.
Now that I understand your previous statement in context it makes sense. Somehow I missed the idea that you were saying the FF couldn't be released in the past (12 months ago), but it would be in the future.
The FF launch is expected to follow the K-3 launch scenario. Revamped FA limiteds will be introduced, then the new FF body, and at least two new lenses (zooms) with an FF image circle. One of them will go beyond 300mm that was mentioned vaguely in the last interview. Interestingly, little is known about the image stabilisation solution in the new FF.
This is about what I expected to happen; it doesn't make sense that they'd miss the opportunity to further raise the price on the FA Ltds (by adding HD coating or something like that). And it's obvious they need to have at least 2 FF zooms. But I didn't realize one of them would be the XX-300+ zoom. And I've often wondered if problems with the SR solution are one of the technical problems that has held them back.

As much as I've hoped they'll also re-release a version of some of the other FA lenses, I don't think that's a prerequisite for releasing the FF.

Last edited by DSims; 02-26-2014 at 03:32 AM.
02-26-2014, 03:26 AM   #14

Pentaxforums will never be the same again when all of them are gone
02-26-2014, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Know anyone who died waiting for Pentax FF?
Died and went to heaven!
I bought a mirrorless FF and haven't looked back since