Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
Never mind all that. What's "beyond root canal"?

This is getting painful and now I have to wait two weeks for an appointment to "discuss the options". WTF?!!!

We British have never been known for our good teeth.
Mandible Transplant? Just thinking about this twice a day will drive all thoughts of full frame from the most passionate Pentaxian's mind.

03-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
bought a P67 and couldn't be happier.

Now looking for good Pentax film camera that is as sexy as the P67.
03-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Mandible Transplant? Just thinking about this twice a day will drive all thoughts of full frame from the most passionate Pentaxian's mind.
QuoteQuote:
Autogenous transplantation of maxillary and mandibular molars

PURPOSE:

Autogenous tooth transplantation has been used as a predictable surgical approach to correct malocclusion and replace edentulous areas. This article focuses on the surgical approach and technique for molar transplantation.

PATIENTS AND METHODS:

Thirty-two patients aged between 11 and 25 years underwent 44 autogenous molar transplantations. The procedure involved transplantation of impacted or newly erupted third molars into the extraction sockets of nonrestorable molars and surgical removal and replacement of horizontally impacted molars into their proper vertical alignment. Five basic procedural concepts were applied: 1) atraumatic extraction, avoiding disruption of the root sheath and root buds; 2) apical contouring of bone at the transplantation site and maxillary sinus lift via the Summers osteotome technique, when indicated, for maxillary molars; 3) preparation of a 4-wall bony socket; 4) avoidance of premature occlusal interferences; and 5) stabilization of the tooth with placement of a basket suture.

RESULTS:

All 32 patients successfully underwent the planned procedure. To date, 2 patients have had localized infection that resulted in loss of the transplant. The remaining 42 transplants remain asymptomatic and functioning, with a mean follow-up period of 19 months. No infection, ankylosis, loss of the transplant, or root resorption has been noted. In addition, endodontic therapy has not been necessary on any transplanted teeth.

CONCLUSIONS:

Autogenous tooth transplantation has been discussed and described in the literature previously, with a primary focus on cuspid and bicuspid transplantation. The molar transplant is infrequently discussed in today's literature, possibly because of the preponderance of titanium dental implants. Autogenous molar transplantation is a viable procedure with low morbidity and excellent functional and esthetic outcomes. This report shows the successful transplantation of 42 of 44 molars in 32 patients with a mean follow-up period of 19 months.
Wot?

I mean dentists? They're not real Doctors are they?
03-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
Wot?

I mean dentists? They're not real Doctors are they?
Ask that your dentist... next time you are on their chair .

03-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Ask that your dentist... next time you are on their chair .
He was too busy wanting the early shoot. Now he's off for two weeks. Recommended co-codamol as he was putting his coat on.
03-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #36
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Haha... Now even Pentaxians are doomed.

I wonder how many people really still want K-mount FF? In other words: With all those other options out there who on earth is still waiting?
I'm over it. It really makes little difference one way or the other.

---------- Post added 03-18-14 at 11:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
bought a P67 and couldn't be happier.

Now looking for good Pentax film camera that is as sexy as the P67.
I have an LX you might be interested in.
03-18-2014, 08:28 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I died and went to heaven too, got the 645D, and am keeping the K5 for tele, but really can't imagine why i would want any Pentax FF. The urges have subsided.
:0
You're just saying that to make me cry.

I don't know anyone who died waiting for the FF to come out, but I could suggest a couple candidates if it's going to be a competition.

03-18-2014, 09:16 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You're just saying that to make me cry.

I don't know anyone who died waiting for the FF to come out, but I could suggest a couple candidates if it's going to be a competition.
Stay classy, norm.
03-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
...2% of the value of Nikon...
I'm curious to know, on the R/D and manufacturing side of the company, how many humans does it employ? Compared to Nikon's camera division? Perhaps if we found out there were 10 engineers working for all of Pentax, we'd realize once and for all that they just can't do it.
03-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #40
Forum Member

Is there really any reason for FF these days? My K-X can make really beautiful prints 11x14, maybe even larger if my technique was better, and I haven't even tested the max print size of the K-3. We are reaching a time when computer monitors have higher resolution than printers, what would you even do with a FF image that you can't do with APS-C?

Screw all that, I hope Ricoh puts their minds to making the HD lenses less expensive, and cover the entire range of focal lengths.
03-18-2014, 10:10 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chimpwithagun Quote
Is there really any reason for FF these days? My K-X can make really beautiful prints 11x14, maybe even larger if my technique was better, and I haven't even tested the max print size of the K-3. We are reaching a time when computer monitors have higher resolution than printers, what would you even do with a FF image that you can't do with APS-C?

Screw all that, I hope Ricoh puts their minds to making the HD lenses less expensive, and cover the entire range of focal lengths.
All the FF guys assure me, that if I buy an FF and see the actual images, I'll be able to tell the difference. If you reduce the size of a D800 to about 4000 pixels wide, it's pretty much identical to a K-5 images. If you think of that as a 20 inch wide print printed at 200 dpi, you can pretty safely say you don't need 36 Mp if you're not printing over 20 inches, very conservatively... I've successfully printed at much lower resolutions than 200 dpi, as low as 120 DPI upscaled to 300 dpi has worked out just fine. Typically as you print larger people stand further way to view the image, so no one has ever been able to define a point at which a 4000x3000 pixel file becomes inadequate. Which happens to be 12 MP. So there' s more merit to that than you might think.

I have also talked to an FF 5D photographer who says 12 Mp is all he needs, and he has no plans to upgrade. There is a whole style that involves super-high definition with tons of detail, and those guys are alway looking for more definition and clarity... 12mp isn't for everyone, but there's probably lot more people who can be happy with 12 mp than there is people who honestly need every MP they can get to get that feeling of satisfaction form job well done.
03-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #42
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Typically as you print larger people stand further way to view the image

Using psychology there

Seriously though, no one prints anymore, so I guess the question is when will megapixels exceed monitor capabilities? We already surpass instagram's limitations, and that's where %90 of everyone's shots end up anyway.

Last edited by chimpwithagun; 03-18-2014 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Added sarcasm
03-18-2014, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm 36 and cautiously optimistic that I have a good number of years left. That said, after all the waiting and mixed-signals from Ricoh, I fully expect that if I live to 100 I'll die waiting for an FF Pentax body. Read as: I'm not expecting to see a real FF Pentax in my lifetime (or any other lifetime.)
03-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Physicists recently said they heard the faintest, earliest signals from 1 trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a second after the big bang. When asked what it sounded like, they said, "We here at Pentax are considering the development of a full frame DSLR."
03-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chimpwithagun Quote
Using psychology there

Seriously though, no one prints anymore, so I guess the question is when will megapixels exceed monitor capabilities? We already surpass instagram's limitations, and that's where %90 of everyone's shots end up anyway.

perhaps it's just me but I print regularly and all this pixel peeping matters a lot less on paper.