Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow guess I struck a nerve, I was in no way trying to start another MP war, I was just trying to understand the logic behind why certain cameras get certain MP. I'm happy with 16 might try 24 but that isn't the deciding factor for me when I purchase a camera. And I know there are a lot of consumers that get wrapped up in those numbers. For those that have contributed to the discussion I have a better understanding thank you all very much, for those that just wanted to stir the pot well whatever floats your boat I guess.

JJ

02-28-2014, 07:09 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dtmateojr Quote
The K5 already exhibits this blurring not just because of hand movement but even a simple mirror slap with the camera on a tripod. Ever since I got the K5 and now the K5 IIs, I have always used mirror lockup when shooting landscapes. That something that I never had to do with previous cameras. With a 24mp sensor it will only get worse. The K3 is not the best camera for precision landscape photography.
I haven't seen issues with a decent tripod, or even with decent technique and hand holding. Certainly, as Jay says, your images won't be worse with a 24 megapixel image than they were with a 16 megapixel image -- you'll be able to look closer, sure, but if you use exactly the same technique and print or view at the same size, the image will either look the same or, slightly better with the higher megapixels.
02-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #48
Pentaxian

It seems to happen only at certain shutter speeds. Somewhere between 1/125 and 1/500. I've definitely seen it at 1/320. It's quite strange coz I also have sharp photos at 1/10 handheld. I would be very happy to be proven wrong but others did some extensive testing on the megapixel vs motion blur effect and our experiences matched.
03-01-2014, 03:42 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Thanks for replies! Yes, that does make the K3 sound all right for street photography. I often use MLU for landscapes though not because I know anything much about mirror-slap - more on the lines of cutting out as many potential sources of disruption as possible. I particularly use MLU for slow shots inside churches and the like, if I can find a firm surface on which to place the camera, taking the shot using their little IR remote.

03-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Always factor in the lens cost with MF. I don't know what the used market is like there, though, could be easy on the $.

I would use my 6x7 lenses and pick up an A35mm 645 lens.

---------- Post added 03-02-14 at 06:20 PM ----------

Mirror slap, missed focus, lens imperfections, etc. are no worse with higher resolution, they are only better resolved. Up the iso or cut the file size if you want to mask them.

Last edited by civiletti; 03-03-2014 at 12:49 AM. Reason: sp