Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
For $3K you can get a good scanner for medium format film and shoot *real* BW that will yield pretty much the quality of a 36MP FF 35mm digital. And if you get good at developing your own BW you can take things to the next level. No doubt the excuses will be its to cumbersome and slow and what-not. But that's what it takes to do the real thing and you no longer have to "wish" anymore.
Hi for 30yrs I've done B&W processing,many exhibitions..just want that feeling in digital if possible.--though my archival processed prints may outlast any digital medium

03-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #32
Forum Member

Whoops, missed that post by Adam.

It stands to reason that removing the Bayer filter, and running pixels straight should increase the dynamic range somewhat, as temporally the "light bucket" is looking at all wavelengths in the visible spectrum (therefore a higher signal intensity) but is subject to the same level of background sensor noise. Since cutting out certain frequencies should ostensibly decrease the s:n ratio, the path to higher dynamic range should involve no pre sub-pixel color filtering no?

Though... It makes sense that the leica sensor would suffer from greater clipping. Greater signal intensity per channel, more quickly saturates the light bucket. If the sensor is tuned to a very high sensitivity, say goodbye to your highlight preservation. I'd assume though that the shadows pull very easily from the raw output on the monochrom. Maybe there needs to be some automatic attenuation for high intensity.
03-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Going back to the OP....

I would immediately buy a Pentax FF that did color.
I would never buy any Pentax camera for B+W only.

Just one opinion.
03-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Going back to the OP....

I would immediately buy a Pentax FF that did color.
I would never buy any Pentax camera for B+W only.

Just one opinion.
That's the point. If their is a market for this type of camera or not. IMO, the only market big enough I can think of, is amateur astronomers. But for this, camera must have a different - wider band UV-IR cut filter, or no filter at all, a Peltier cooling system inside, or one that can be attached, like a grip, and a price tag not bigger than $3500 for FF, or $2000 for APS-C. If those conditions are done, I think their is a market of tens of thousands worldwide

03-08-2014, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #35

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by spade111 Quote
subpixels
Subpixels are for monitors (which have full colour resolution). Imaging sensors don't have subpixels; they have pixels sensitive to different colours, but every last one is counted as a 'full' pixel. Sorry to be so pedantic.
03-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jens Lyn IV Quote
Subpixels are for monitors (which have full colour resolution). Imaging sensors don't have subpixels; they have pixels sensitive to different colours, but every last one is counted as a 'full' pixel. Sorry to be so pedantic.
Preface: sorry op for going off topic!
So what you're saying is that the raw output Bayer pattern of a 36mp sensor is interpolated to provide 36mp full resolution, rather than being made up of 36mp worth of 2x2 sub pixels? That actually makes some good sense. I should read more .
03-08-2014, 09:46 PM   #37

Photos: Albums
Yes, exactly!

This concludes our off-topic shenanigans.
03-09-2014, 06:27 AM   #38
Banned

A hybrid mirrorless camera with both DCI cinema 4K (4096x2160) and UHD 4K (3840x2160) modes along with jpeg/RAW stills like the new Panasonic GH4 would have a much higher demand than a FF dedicated B&W camera IMHO.

03-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
What I would really like is a 36MP dedicated B&W camera from Pentax,I know Kodak had one yrs ago but not many were ever made.Anyone else here hoping for the same??? I'm sure there is a market for it,Fine Art,Science,Astro etc... the only one now is Phase 1,at insane prices...
Lets hear your views people....
I think you may have negated your own assumption ("I'm sure there is a market for it") in your own post:

- "Kodak had one yrs ago but not many were ever made" (wonder why?); and
- "the only one now is Phase 1, at insane prices" (wonder why?).

Like many others, such a beast would have little/no interest to me. If I want a B&W image it's one click away in post, and the suggested benefits of a dedicated B&W sensor would not be attractive enough to most potential buyers to a) justify the expense of a dedicated system; and b) do away with the capability to shoot in colour from the same platform. I personally don't think there would be sufficiently large market.

Not withstanding all of the above, I think we're getting ahead of ourselves. We don't even have a normal full-frame yet, and still scant info to suggest if we will any time soon. First things first!