Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2014, 07:05 AM   #256
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I both agree and disagree. There are sites like DXO Mark that test for the differences and let you know based on numbers what kind of performance you can expect from a sensor with regard to dynamic range, high iso performance and so on. That is useful to know, particularly if you are struggling with a camera in a certain respect.

However, I don't think there is anything wrong with viewing images and processing images to see what can be done as well. The biggest reasons to get full frame are (1) to print bigger and (2) to get access to faster lenses not available for APS-C. If you aren't printing bigger or shooting at really high iso, it is doubtful how much difference you will see, although maybe you could see some difference if you look over the prints with a loupe. But who does that?
I agree...
however when someone starts a thread stating that FF cameras won't make your pictures better, so what's the point, without showing comparisons, then you know how it's going to turn out.

04-26-2014, 07:25 AM   #257
Pentaxian

Same when we have a thread stating there's a 30-40% "practical resolution" advantage for 135 vs APS-C, despite the latter not having an AA filter. Something I was unable to see in pictures. It appears that "practical resolution" is something measurable in a test lab, but not observable in practice.
Of course, by different criteria (e.g. high ISO) there is a visible difference - theoretical and practical.
04-26-2014, 07:58 AM   #258
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Same when we have a thread stating there's a 30-40% "practical resolution" advantage for 135 vs APS-C, despite the latter not having an AA filter. Something I was unable to see in pictures. It appears that "practical resolution" is something measurable in a test lab, but not observable in practice.
Of course, by different criteria (e.g. high ISO) there is a visible difference - theoretical and practical.
I guess a ~15% increase in linear resolution is tough to see.

Especially when some of the testing houses (imaging resource, for one) are sometimes taking 'pictures of pictures' and, I'm guessing by the sizes of the prints involved, are limited by their initial resolution / printer resolution.

For me, the extra resolution is nice. People pay much-much more for bigger prints, and people believe they can get more printing size out of a larger file. But that's not a fundamental limitation of a sensor size, at least not at the sizes that we're talking about.

The primary reason I probably won't purchase another APS-C camera is the extra weight and extra cost.