Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #76
Veteran Member

I've gone through all these megapixel increases from K10 on. And each time i've had misgivings about the increased mp, and each time I've been delighted with the increased resolution, even with some of the more prosaic lenses. So it has been with the 24mp K3. I had to do a 20 person group shot yesterday and it came out great, even with the DA17-70 lens. Not sure if the clarity was due to the lack of an AA filter and/or increased mp, but i've been delighted with the camera. And in the 2 months i 've had it, haven't seen any sign of moire.

The K3 is going to do me fine for a few years until the current FF cameras get down there in weight and price. I think Canon and Nikon are going to have to compete with the A7 series in weight and volume. I don't see any reason why they need to weigh more than the APS cameras out there. I know a professional photographer in town who's selling his D800 and lenses due to its effects on a previously injured leg.

I don't see FF cameras going away, but i don't see them taking over the market place either. Will i ever get one - its not an question that i spend much time worrying about. I'm more interested in WR, quiet shutters, portability, low light focus ability - all of which the K3 does well. Would i get a FF camera if Pentax produced one - probably not anymore than i would buy one from any brand.

04-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Funny.

I understand the point/need of full frame. I understand equivalence. I just don't always see all the benefits that others seem to say that they see.
That is a beautiful shot, and well-processed - but what does it prove regarding equivalence?

04-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HavelockV Quote
I just don't think it's really that much to fuzz about. I would consider it to be about +20% in reality with the best lenses. And that is not really that much when I look at actual pictures with non-test-chart stuff on it.
That's pretty much what I have discovered, and I have seen plenty of large to medium size prints taken with both FF and APS-C. In fact, the most important factor in terms of quality difference is still lens quality. Two-thirds to three-quarters of the advantage of FF over APS-C is not so much due to sensor size as it is to the better quality of high-end FF glass. Most of the people I run across shooting FF are shooting with Canon L glass or Nikon constant aperture zooms (usually the f2.8 zooms). When such people claim that they can see the advantage in FF landscape shots at screen resolution sizes, they can't possibly be talking about the sharpness advantages of FF, since you're can't perceive 20%+ difference without doing some serious pixel peeping. What they're seeing is the greater microcontrast of the high-end FF glass. The number one reason for a landscape shooter to go with FF is to access that high-end FF glass and to be able to use it at FOVs that are in the sweetspot for landscape photography. The 20%+ resolution advantage is merely an additional, but somewhat minor, bonus.

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
but all the lenses in FF were better than all the lenses in APS-C.
I'm a little confused about what is trying to be said here. FF lenses "were" better? Does that mean they are no longer better?

In terms of zoom glass, it's hard to beat those Olympus SHG lenses, which were intentionally designed to make up for the disadvantages of the smaller 4/3rds sensor. Canon and Nikon APS-C lenses are not as good as the top of line FF glass because (1) APS-C is seen (correctly) as a budget format and (2) Canon and Nikon want to encourage photographers to move on to their FF products, which have higher margins. Only Pentax and Fuji produce APS-C lenses that can come close to the high-end Canon and Nikon stuff. Indeed, I would give some of the Pentax offerings a slight edge in terms of color rendition to the Canikon offerings.
04-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
People who get mad at equivalence baffle me, it's like getting mad at F=MA.
But getting mad at "F = m a" is right on!

This stuff this Newton imbecile came up with brought us nothing but trouble. Apples falling on our heads!

Once we throw "F = m a" and "equivalence" back to hell, where they belong, we'll all be better off!

Last edited by Class A; 04-11-2014 at 12:04 PM.
04-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I know a professional photographer in town who's selling his D800 and lenses due to its effects on a previously injured leg.
LOL, Did I mention I got camera elbow / bursitis from carrying a Speed Graphic

There's another article that puts things in perspective, LumoLabs -- True reasons for Full Frame -- Whitepaper

Basically: where equivalences exist, the two formats are equivalent. The trick is APS-C doesn't always have the aperture speeds to be equivalent to the full frame brother. Whether or not that is a critical, crucial difference is up to each one of us. Same way that it is up to each of us whether a fish eye or an ultra long lens makes sense for what we do.

To a good extent, digital doesn't suffer from miniaturization as much as film -- though theoretically this may not be so, but in practice 35mm gives much better results than 1/2 frame, and 120 6x7 or 6x9 better still, and so on. In part this has to do with sensor vs film technology. And a good portion has to do with simple physical laws: the smaller you cram your 100 lpm or whatever your goal is, the more every piece has to resolve and avoid aberration. Hence it is easier to get certain quality from a large scale camera than a small scale one.

But of course not everything is equal, and there are other considerations - portability, flexibility, health of one's joints, cost, speed, fun, and so on. There are very few photographs that rely solely on maximum image quality for effectiveness - usually it's a matter of 'good enough' quality for the purpose, or interest 'despite' or 'because of' imperfection.

ps. I bought a D600 for the larger view finder (evf's not being quite there yet, and optical ones are subject to size) mainly, and to mount lower cost legacy glass at its designed FOV. I don't think of the camera as otherwise superior to a low end Pentax APS-C.
04-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
That's pretty much what I have discovered, and I have seen plenty of large to medium size prints taken with both FF and APS-C. In fact, the most important factor in terms of quality difference is still lens quality.
Why I generally agree, lens quality (and all the important differences between lenses - like sharpness and micro-contrast) comes second to camera technique.

In real life usage, the tiniest amount of camera or subject motion blur, or a mischosen wide-open aperture setting, or shooting with an inferior filter, can mean the resolution, micro-contrast etc advantages of a superior lens or format go immediately out the window. This is not news to anyone, but is worth noting here just for the record .

Last edited by rawr; 04-12-2014 at 05:11 AM. Reason: typo
04-12-2014, 01:43 AM   #82
HavelockV

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
The trick is APS-C doesn't always have the aperture speeds to be equivalent to the full frame brother.
Well that is a misconception. Most beginners look at equivalency from the sensor size perspective (just look at all the narrow focussed blog entries about it). It is actually all about light. And light comes through an optical system. So the really defining factor is the image circle of the lens, the total light gathering. The sensor mostly is a secondary part of the game with regards to the aspects mostly discussed in forums (that is blurring and noise).

If you look at the majority of FF in reality you are looking at Canon due to it large lead in marketshare. There is nothing in the key aspects of a majority FF picture you can not achieve with a cheap APSC camera.
The FoV, the DoF, noise, dynamic range all are achievable on APSC size sensors.

The thing about the sensor size is mostly that today it's more comfortable and easier to achieve these results with a larger sensor.
And the single one remaining advantage is DR at base ISO (only there), which obviously only is happening in reality for the minority manufacturers with up-to-date sensors (for which the market obviously doesn't care at large or they would flock to the market leaders products).

For the comfort the people are paying more money and that is quite understandable.

04-12-2014, 03:17 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Equivalency: an overused word in photography that does not mean anything in real world photography.
04-12-2014, 03:29 AM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
That is a beautiful shot, and well-processed - but what does it prove regarding equivalence?

I guess that the DA 15 limited is a nice lens? It is just the sort of place where equivalence doesn't mean a whole lot. A shot from a tripod, stopped down. I doubt you are going to be able to see a true difference in any sized print between the K3 and D600 when shot with these circumstances.
04-12-2014, 05:53 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dtmateojr Quote
Equivalency: an overused word in photography that does not mean anything in real world photography.
Its far easier to memorize 1.53 than to memorize two different sets of DOF/FOV/SNR tradeoffs. I use equivalence every time I put down one camera and pick up the other.

Last edited by ElJamoquio; 04-12-2014 at 06:01 AM.
04-12-2014, 05:56 AM   #86
Veteran Member

If you fail at understanding why equivalence matters, this is you.

QuoteQuote:

Agreed. By the way, check out this find below! It's 5.2mm at the wide end, blows the Sigma 8-16 out of the water!! And check out that max aperture: f/2 !!!!!!!

We have our wide-angle, low-light king, people. All the larger formats like m43 and aps-c and FF are unnecessary now. Anyone who says otherwise obviously doesn't understand real world photography.

---------- Post added 04-12-14 at 06:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess that the DA 15 limited is a nice lens? It is just the sort of place where equivalence doesn't mean a whole lot. A shot from a tripod, stopped down. I doubt you are going to be able to see a true difference in any sized print between the K3 and D600 when shot with these circumstances.
And you would probably be correct under those shooting conditions, although the DA 15ltd will probably handle flare better than most 20-24mm Nikon lenses you'd have available.

Last edited by jsherman999; 04-12-2014 at 06:06 AM.
04-12-2014, 07:35 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Its far easier to memorize 1.53 than to memorize two different sets of DOF/FOV/SNR tradeoffs. I use equivalence every time I put down one camera and pick up the other.

It's easier to aim for the output instead of the numbers. You do not see 1.53 when you peep through the viewfinder. And when you print and hang your shot on the wall you do not see 1.53 either. Equivalency is for armchair photographers.
04-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's easier to aim for the output instead of the numbers. You do not see 1.53 when you peep through the viewfinder. And when you print and hang your shot on the wall you do not see 1.53 either. Equivalency is for armchair photographers.
Not using equivalency is for armchair photographers. I look at a scene and I know what FOV and what DOF I want. I have different lenses on the other camera and I instantly know what's going to go on with that camera... because of equivalency.

I guess if you only have an APS-C camera you never have to worry about it, or the FF'rs posting here.
04-13-2014, 01:37 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Not using equivalency is for armchair photographers. I look at a scene and I know what FOV and what DOF I want. I have different lenses on the other camera and I instantly know what's going to go on with that camera... because of equivalency.

I guess if you only have an APS-C camera you never have to worry about it, or the FF'rs posting here.

I own a m43, aps-c, ff and mf. Who gives a crap about minute differences in DoF at f2.8 between sensors? At f8 or f11, you can have everything in focus for any sensor so it does not matter. You don't just attach a lens to a camera without even looking through the viewfinder or testing it. Why force something in one format into another format? Shoot in your chosen format and forget equivalency. What matters is whether you made the shot or not.

Guess what format I used to capture this :-p

04-13-2014, 01:40 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Guess what format I used to capture this :-p
iPhone?