Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #211

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
In any case, everyone has a different use case, APIs, powerful CPUs and (more) open OSses could let everyone turn their Pentax into the camera that works best for them.
Agreed!!!

08-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
True innovation:

08-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #213
Loyal Site Supporter

Laugh it up but there are a heck of a lot of Q mounts in the market - some day enough to spawn third-party interest. We should be so lucky if as many consumers bought colored K-mounts.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-26-2014 at 06:33 PM.
08-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #214
Loyal Site Supporter

What will make a Pentax FF camera different?

Actually, the only truly distinguishing characteristic is the K-mount. Everything else is derivative.

08-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #215
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Laugh it up but there are a heck of a lot of Q mounts in the market - some day enough to spawn third-party interest. We should be so lucjy if as many consumers bought colored K-mounts.
I'm only half-joking. I'd totally rock a full-frame Pentax in a wild color!
08-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #216
Loyal Site Supporter

If they do . . . . .

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'm only half-joking. I'd totally rock a full-frame Pentax in a wild color!
I will fly to New Jersey with a 10 cu. ft. bag of cheese popcorn just to sit there and watch you refresh the PF FF Forum.
08-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I will fly to New Jersey with a 10 cu. ft. bag of cheese popcorn just to sit there and watch you refresh the PF FF Forum.
A PF Implosion Party!
08-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #218
Pentaxian

What I have seen is that most of Pentaxians see the FF camera as a meaning to get a shallower DOF, or a bigger number of pixels. IMO, a FFcamera is more about a better low light, low noise, fast exposure, and higher dynamic performance. And maybe, more versatility.

What is Pentax planing for an FF camera? I wish I knew, but who has an idea about a SR based antialiasing filter simulator before K-3?

I just hope that we will find out in about 3 weeks.

08-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #219
Pentaxian

How about a "user replaceable" sensor? Like in those film days... you wanted good low light capability? Put in an ISO 800 film. Want high resolution? ISO 50. These days you buy the body, you can open the rear (just like with film cameras) and a socket the sensor sits in (like CPUs). Buy a new sensor, open the camera and put it inside. It also makes cleaning the sensor so much easier.

I'm kidding, of course. Or am I? That would actually be cool.

Mostly I'd wish for more flexibility though, by providing faster hardware (Snapdragon perhaps?) and a platform others can write applications for, so we can install software that expands functionality on the camera. All the necessary hardware needs to be there of course... WiFi, BT, GPS. A API that can be used via WiFi or USB too, to remote control the camera. The same things I'd want in a professional APS-C camera too.

In 3 weeks? We'll see that new entry level K-S1. Unless Pentax is trolling us all with these leaks, and will come out... "Today we present the new K-S1! Nah, we're kidding. This is our new K-1 full frame camera!"
08-26-2014, 11:00 PM   #220
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How about a "user replaceable" sensor?
Well, it's done in the MF world, but ....
08-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #221
Banned

How about a "user replaceable" sensor? Like in those film days... you wanted good low light capability? Put in an ISO 800 film. Want high resolution? ISO 50. These days you buy the body, you can open the rear (just like with film cameras) and a socket the sensor sits in (like CPUs). Buy a new sensor, open the camera and put it inside. It also makes cleaning the sensor so much easier.
Try shooting hundreds of shots with a film camera in the 50-409600 iso range with one roll of film.
08-27-2014, 10:45 PM   #222
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Try shooting hundreds of shots with a film camera in the 50-409600 iso range with one roll of film.
Yes, obviously we have more capabilities now. But being able to switch the sensor depending on what you want to do would push it even further.
08-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #223
Veteran Member

Yes, obviously we have more capabilities now. But being able to switch the sensor depending on what you want to do would push it even further.
I think this is too theoretical to have a real use case though.
Once you have a decent modern sensor (in my personal needs that is 16MP APS-C or upwards), the possibilities within one sensor generation are probably too small to justify switching back and forth.
And if you mean "take out sensor, put in newer/better sensor" without switching back, you might as well upgrade to a completely new body and enjoy other upgrades as well (in auto focus, processing, and gimmicky features)...
08-28-2014, 04:36 AM   #224
Banned

Here is your camera:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicursa
08-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #225
Pentaxian

Sorry to disagree, but I think it's a non-starter to have different sensors for ISO reasons. If one sensor can do so much, why would you even want to change?