Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 147 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2014, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Sorry to disagree, but I think it's a non-starter to have different sensors for ISO reasons. If one sensor can do so much, why would you even want to change?
Easy... Take the Sony A7R and A7S sensors as examples. If those would be one camera with exchangable sensors, I'd take the extra light sensitivity of the 12mp A7S sensor on my nights. But I'd insert the sensor of the A7R for the extra resolution for the dayslight shots.

Additionally I would then also like a seperate dedicated sensor for monochrome. Or a Sigma style non-bayer colour sensor, takes extra processing time in the camera, and huge storage, but my style of shooting might just be able to live with that. Oh, and an APS-C sensor for my APS-C lenses; I'd rather carry an extra sensor along then a complete body.

Sending off an old camera to get it permanently modded for IR or UV for 400 dollars? Neh, just buy a current seperate IR sensor for you current camera for... maybe even the same amount?

Should I get a Q + PKA adapter to turn my DA* 300mm in a powerfull, but MF zoom? Or do I get a Q sensor to slip in my camera and get the same with AF?

Imagine a tiny kit. 1 Camera, 3 sensors and 3 lenses. That's 9 combinations already. Sensor Buying Addiction can go quite easily along with LBA, imho.

I just can't see how this can be realised without encasing the delicate exchangable sensor in some kind of cartridge-thing.

Last edited by Clavius; 08-29-2014 at 05:31 AM.
08-29-2014, 05:48 AM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Easy... Take the Sony A7R and A7S sensors as examples. If those would be one camera with exchangable sensors, I'd take the extra light sensitivity of the 12mp A7S sensor on my nights. But I'd insert the sensor of the A7R for the extra resolution for the dayslight shots.

Additionally I would then also like a seperate dedicated sensor for monochrome. Or a Sigma style non-bayer colour sensor, takes extra processing time in the camera, and huge storage, but my style of shooting might just be able to live with that. Oh, and an APS-C sensor for my APS-C lenses; I'd rather carry an extra sensor along then a complete body.

Sending off an old camera to get it permanently modded for IR or UV for 400 dollars? Neh, just buy a current seperate IR sensor for you current camera for... maybe even the same amount?

Should I get a Q + PKA adapter to turn my DA* 300mm in a powerfull, but MF zoom? Or do I get a Q sensor to slip in my camera and get the same with AF?

Imagine a tiny kit. 1 Camera, 3 sensors and 3 lenses. That's 9 combinations already. Sensor Buying Addiction can go quite easily along with LBA, imho.

I just can't see how this can be realised without encasing the delicate exchangable sensor in some kind of cartridge-thing.
If all this ideas will come to live, Pentax will gain a very good number of costumers, even from Canon and Nikon. A big number of astronomers will leave there old Canon camera with modified UV-IR, for a camera with changeable sensor, from color to B&W.
08-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #228
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
If all this ideas will come to live, Pentax will gain a very good number of costumers, even from Canon and Nikon. A big number of astronomers will leave there old Canon camera with modified UV-IR, for a camera with changeable sensor, from color to B&W.
Disagree. The market for that is tiny. You can save yourself so much trouble by buying a good overall sensor... not worth the effort
08-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #229
Veteran Member

More than 10 millions amateur astronomers is a small market? Even 10% of them is a good one.

08-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #230
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
More than 10 millions amateur astronomers is a small market? Even 10% of them is a good one.
It might be cheaper to provide them with two different cameras, rather than a camera with an interchangeable sensor. The sensor module would be quite an undertaking.
08-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #231
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Disagree. The market for that is tiny. You can save yourself so much trouble by buying a good overall sensor... not worth the effort
Yes, we can also make do with just one single lens. There is no market at all for ILCs.
08-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #232
Pentaxian

Yes, we can also make do with just one single lens. There is no market at all for ILCs.
I think over 100 million interchangeable lenses have been sold.

How many interchangeable sensors have been sold?

08-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #233
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ny Canon alone.
08-29-2014, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #234
Veteran Member

How many interchangeable sensors have been sold?
Exactly as many as have been marketed. With your logic new ideas would never be tried at all.
08-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #235
Pentaxian

Exactly as many as have been marketed. With your logic new ideas would never be tried at all.
Ricoh has made an interchangeable sensor-based camera before. How well do you think that went? Hint: they abandoned the idea.
08-29-2014, 01:03 PM   #236
Veteran Member

The only problem for creating a camera with interchangeable sensor for APS-C and FF, (because for MF there are already on the market), is that only one big player is making his own sensor. Canon. And even Canon don't want to produce more sensor, and fewer cameras. If Pentax will do such a camera, will sell maybe one, two or three millions cameras, and 5-6 millions Sony sensors. It's not good business for them. The rest, market, technology, is available.

Ricoh interchangeable cameras was a failure because there was an interchangeable combo, of sensor and lens, together. So, no advantage for the buyer. There was no way to change the sensor only, or the lens only.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 08-29-2014 at 01:20 PM.
08-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #237
Banned

Original Poster

I agree that the idea of interchangeable sensors would be a revolutionary and exciting one. In fact, I posted the idea much earlier in this thread and got shouted down (just as you are again now )

Not only could you carry a selection of sensors to suit differing needs, but you could also upgrade as new tech comes online (without buying a whole new body).

But, dreams aside, I'm sure the engineering challenges are myriad if not impossible, and if it was do-able someone (other than LED-Pentax) probably would have done it already...
08-29-2014, 04:36 PM   #238
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
Not only could you carry a selection of sensors to suit differing needs,
Wait, did I just travel in a time machine back to 1985? That sounds like film LOL!

Seriously, I'd hate to imagine the dust problems that interchangeable sensors will invite. I just know that I'd accidentally touch mine with my greasy thumb.
08-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #239
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Wait, did I just travel in a time machine back to 1985? That sounds like film LOL!
EXACTLY!!! Imagine if it could be done....

But you're right, there are probably too many issues.
08-29-2014, 10:40 PM   #240
Veteran Member

Ricoh has made an interchangeable sensor-based camera before. How well do you think that went? Hint: they abandoned the idea.
That camera combined sensor and lens.

Maybe not everyone would buy this to switch sensors, some would just buy one sensor. But they can pick the one sensor they want. Why are there so many fights about MP? Some people want 12 MP, some want 36. Different needs. Separating body and sensor could make it easier to accommodate for that. Maybe offer another body for the same sensors. One mirrorless, one DSLR.

A cartridge system would make the most sense I guess.

As for IR photography... as long as the sensor itself is unchanged, turn the IR filter into, well, a filter. Make it removable. The cartridge could accommodate that. Take out the sensor (you're able to clean it too that way!) and remove or add the filter, or even use other filters.

The possibilities are endless, the question is if some manufacturer has the balls to do it. I do think it would find a market... I'd be willing to spend a bit more on a camera that offers me that amount of flexibility. Perhaps even if that means changing brands.

@john: But you could take out the sensor, and clean it. Without having to fumble through a long tunnel. You have very easy access to it.

One problem for Pentax would be that stabilizing that thing will be hard. The cartridge will add weight, and that's what you don't want. Also getting rid of the heat will be difficult, though you already have that problem with the SR system. Air cooling perhaps...