Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 147 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2014, 07:29 AM   #346
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Well, the reality is that the tail (Pentax) can't wag the dog (Sony) or the dog's best bud (Nikon). A 24Mp FF is not an option for Pentax until Sony (and Nikon) say it is.
I was tempted to post something about that - but I figured soemone would tell me to stop trying to act like I'm an expert or something.

It's as if Sony is saying, "If you Pentax people want a FF, well, here's the one we've chosen for you."

09-12-2014, 08:19 AM   #347
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Nikon: hover in the wings, watching Pentax carefully, ready to pounce on any gap, exploit any minor weakness...

(or)

Nikon: "Pentax? That's the re-seller that buys our unused D7100 sensors, right?"

Ricoh is twice the size of Nikon. If they ever decide to GO . . . . . .
09-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #348
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The neverending saga

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ricoh is twice the size of Nikon. If they ever decide to GO . . . . . .
If, if, if... It's always IF.

09-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #349
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If, if, if... It's always IF.

As I said
It's as if Nikon said to themselves, "Well heck, if Pentax isn't going to fill the space then I guess we'll just have to."

09-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #350
Veteran Member

Lets not make this too much "Pentax centered" as in Nikon basing their actions on what Pentax did or didn't do.

There aren't that many DSLR or even mirrorless makers out there. If you're in the business of making cameras, like Nikon, you're going to pay attention to what all the other camera makers are doing, and designing responses as appropriate. Thats just the way retail is.

So sure, Nikon is paying attention to Pentax, and Canon, and etc.

I had to a laugh today when i talked to one of my Nikon owning friends, who reported that the about to be introduced D750 will have a tilting LCD. About 18 months back, i mentioned on PF somewhere, that the tiling LCD on my mirrorless was really useful and Pentax should follow that example. I could not believe the amount of criticism i got for that post. The posts said that they are way too fragile and not useful besides on a "professional" camera. And now Pentax installed a tilting LCD on their 645z and Nikon installed one on their D750.

---------- Post added 09-12-14 at 01:30 PM ----------

After 35 years backpacking howitzers up and down mountains and into and out of marshes my sister-in-law recently switched to ----- a good pair of field binoculars.
Thanks for the good story. I have to grudgingly say that in a cultural sense, the smart phones are an amazing device in the amount of information and useful functions they offer. I suspect that people are going to unconciously use the smart phone as a yardstick to measure other devices against. And they are going to expect multifunctionality, ease of transport, out of these other devices/cameras. And the camera world, up to a few years ago, didn't measure up well to the "smart phone" yardstick. Hard to carry, sometimes requiring large packs, did only one thing, etc.

5 years from now, the camera world will look different than it is today, and most of us will say; yeah, i saw that coming For example, why do we accept that lenses will only fit one manufacturer's camera. Altho i don't own one, the example set by the micro 4/3 manufacturers makes a lot of sense to consumers. Buy lenses and use them on any Panasonic, Olympus, Sony

In a way, I don't want the camera environment to change too much, because i really enjoy taking pictures and processing them. And i don't want to ever give that up. Met so many friends along the way. In another way, i'm going to trend more towards monochromes sis-in-law, i don't want to take weight lifing course to carry my camera equip around.

Last edited by philbaum; 09-12-2014 at 01:31 PM.
09-15-2014, 04:07 AM   #351
Veteran Member

Nikon: hover in the wings, watching Pentax carefully, ready to pounce on any gap, exploit any minor weakness...

(or)

Nikon: "Pentax? That's the re-seller that buys our unused D7100 sensors, right?"

I think it's the latter. At this point I think no one in the camera business is afraid of Pentax... if anything, they are laughing their asses off. Ok, maybe Hasselblad and Phase One are a tiny bit scared. Pentax, the company that makes outdated cameras in different colors and lots of LEDs. But not really a competitor in any area. Areas that they are better at they can't make use of, because they lack retail presence. And in the professional market they are irrelevant because they don't have anything competitive (and I'm not talking about FF. A FF camera that is otherwise as good as their K-3 would be a joke). Heck, IMHO even Samsung is now making better cameras than Pentax.
09-15-2014, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #352
Veteran Member

Pentax FF camera is already very different, because is invisible.

09-15-2014, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #353
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
...and FREE!
09-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #354
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
It's just painted camouflage; it was ready since 2012, about a million units being made - they're still looking for them in the warehouse

(General message not directed at JimmyDranox)
Be patient, please - or jump ship if you have to. I have a feeling that "soon" something will happen (but, perhaps not at this Photokina). Hint: they will display certain lenses.
09-15-2014, 09:54 AM   #355
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's just painted camouflage; it was ready since 2012, about a million units being made - they're still looking for them in the warehouse

Be patient, please - or jump ship if you have to. I have a feeling that "soon" something will happen (but, perhaps not at this Photokina). Hint: they will display certain lenses.
They know that Pentax users want the smallest FF, so they made it so small that is invisible.
09-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #356
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
...HD versions of existing lenses...
09-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #357
Pentaxian

Wrong. And intentionally so.
09-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #358
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
A dslr for left handers? Would corner 10% of the market in one day.

Square sensor?
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I'll take a lifetime supply...
09-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #359
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
A dslr for left handers? Would corner 10% of the market in one day.

Square sensor?
It would be kinda hard to have a square ff considering it was originally 24mm x 36mm.
09-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #360
Site Supporter

Pentax built their 1st aps-C digital body with a ff mirror box. It was developed from the aborted ff project.