Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2014, 01:50 PM   #391
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Birders that i know, at least 2, use luggage on wheel type carts to get their long FF teles and cameras from their car to their shooting area, and their shooting area is never far from their car. Thats why i hope if Pentax makes a FF this year or next, they make it light weight and compact. us older guys would really appreciate it Plus, Pentax's normal use of IBIS would save weight in the lenses themselves.
I turned my lens case into a backpack. Hiking with it is certainly easier than a real pack, but then again I wouldn't want to travel more than 8 miles with it.

---------- Post added 09-22-14 at 01:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
That D750 is going to be very tempting for a lot of Pentax users who are ready to move up. Let's see how Nikon screws it up, but the specs hit the sweet spot for a lot of people.
It's nice, but not game-changing in my view. What makes you think of it as 'very tempting' compared to the D610 or the D810? Personally I would choose either of those.

Not arguing, genuinely curious if I've overlooked something.

09-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #392
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,625
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote

It's nice, but not game-changing in my view. What makes you think of it as 'very tempting' compared to the D610 or the D810? Personally I would choose either of those.

Not arguing, genuinely curious if I've overlooked something.
I find the build quality and AF of the D610 to be of lower quality that I would buy. The D810 has the AF, but for high volume shooters doing wedding or events the 36MP sensor produces files that are way to large for most people hitting up to 2,000 images per event. Wedding and portrait photography make up the largest segment of self-employed photographers, and 36MP is just not what they really want. Even with my K-3 I spend a good bit of time with the clarity brush smoothing out skin. I might have a 24" x 36" canvas printed from a wedding and I don't need 36MP for that. For the photobook I will have a couple of images that will print as a 2 page spread, but the print quality of photobooks isn't so high that its a problem with the K-3. I would much rather have the 24MP sensor with the improved light gathering and hopefully the color of skins tones is improved at higher ISO as well. 36MP without an AA filter just means more brush work in post for people who do weddings and portraits.

I think the D750 hits the sweet spot for people who want the better AF, performance and build quality over the D610, but don't need the huge D810 files. I hope that in the next 3 years we see computers and hardware prices get to the point where you can handle 36+ MP a little better, but even USB 3.0 is rare on cameras. UHS-II support would be nice.

The D750 is a nice compact body. A full magnesium alloy body apparently makes WiFi more difficult so Nikon has gone to the composite body with magnesium top and rear. We will have to see if Nikon cut other corners. Does the shutter sound like a stack of plates hitting the floor? Is there vibration? There are a dozen ways that the D750 can fail, but the specs look good.
09-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #393
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
YMMV. I find the AF of the D600 to be 10x better than the AF of the K-5 when it matters. I know the K-3 is an improvement over the K-5 but I haven't had a chance to try that AF yet.
09-23-2014, 02:18 AM   #394
Veteran Member
patarok's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 351
hmmm....

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Ok. Let's see. 205 phase detect AF sensors covering 90% of the frame? Can't compete with that. 28 MP with the latest generation of sensor tech? Can't compete. 15 fps while focusing between the shots? Can't compete. 4K video with h265 at 80 Mbps (which should equal h264 at 160 Mbps) reading out the full sensor without cropping the frame? Pentax offers 2K video with h264 (a poor implementation at that) at 24 Mbps, and it doesn't even read the whole sensor, leading to aliasing and moire. It also seems to have physical buttons for the important stuff, and 3 dials for settings. Magnesium body and weather resistant, and besides it is lighter and smaller by a long margin. With better screens and a larger viewfinder. The Samsung takes Pentax lenses, as well as Canon, Nikon, Minolta, ... again an advantage over the K-3.

Now tell me, where exactly does Pentax compete? Name? It does have better battery life, but that and an optical viewfinder is the only advantage I see to the K-3, as shake reduction only works during stills. At least on the Samsung it is built into the lens and thus works during video too.
Wasn't actually asked for, what could be different about a Pentax Fullframe DSLR?
Am i wrong or for what reason are you telling us a story about useless AF sensor amounts on some other brands ilc camera(which has nothing to do with a PENTAX FF DSLR DSLR not ILC or EVIL if you want so).Let me tell you that some professional photographers only use the mid AF sensor.

If you want a video camera, plz be serious and buy a redcam, Canon EOS C. Or even better, buy the new ARRI !!!
It has 6.5k video and seems to be able to blast away a Hummer or a german Leopard tank.

AND: You can mount many if not every DSLR lens without optical drawbacks onto the K-3(ADAPTERS) except Canons lenses, because they have a shorter flange focal distance.( Though there would be an adapter too, an adapter with non attuned optics, would not offer a satisfying result.

If the screen is really better on some samsung shabugi cam is anyone's guess... For instance i never heard about "Air Gap Free" on a Samsung.

The SR on the K-3 can compensate up to 3.5 LV on EVERY lens.

And when i google for samsung weather resistant lenses, i don't get any relevant hits....

And a last word on the Megapixels. Nikons D4 , and the Canon 1DX which are both very professional cameras offer 16 and 18 Megapixel. Leicas M9 offers 18.5 MP....


What exactly do you want to do with your samsung cam?

If you want to do real professional or product photography for stock services, i would suggest you to buy a Pentax 645Z, though it is your decision to buy a much more expensive Mamiya, Hasselblad, Leaf, Phase one, and so on. Furthermore, there are still digital ViewCameras. Those are also very expensive. (Do those offer 205 AF sensors ?? )

Conclusion:
Cameras only make photos, they can not make you fly. and AGAIN: The actual question is:

WHAT COULD BE DIFFERENT ABOUT A PENTAX FF DSLR ?

If we post something more generative, maybe we are lucky and Ricoh-Imaging still can implement one or another feature into the upcoming FF DSLR.

---------- Post added 09-23-14 at 02:25 AM ----------

And another one. I did a little math and now i would say, a Megapixel count of 24.3 or 24.7 would satisfy every need. So this is one thing i really do NOT find it should be different.

09-23-2014, 03:28 AM   #395
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,623
QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
Wasn't actually asked for, what could be different about a Pentax Fullframe DSLR?
Am i wrong or for what reason are you telling us a story about useless AF sensor amounts on some other brands ilc camera(which has nothing to do with a PENTAX FF DSLR DSLR not ILC or EVIL if you want so).Let me tell you that some professional photographers only use the mid AF sensor.

If you want a video camera, plz be serious and buy a redcam, Canon EOS C. Or even better, buy the new ARRI !!!
It has 6.5k video and seems to be able to blast away a Hummer or a german Leopard tank.

AND: You can mount many if not every DSLR lens without optical drawbacks onto the K-3(ADAPTERS) except Canons lenses, because they have a shorter flange focal distance.( Though there would be an adapter too, an adapter with non attuned optics, would not offer a satisfying result.

If the screen is really better on some samsung shabugi cam is anyone's guess... For instance i never heard about "Air Gap Free" on a Samsung.

The SR on the K-3 can compensate up to 3.5 LV on EVERY lens.

And when i google for samsung weather resistant lenses, i don't get any relevant hits....

And a last word on the Megapixels. Nikons D4 , and the Canon 1DX which are both very professional cameras offer 16 and 18 Megapixel. Leicas M9 offers 18.5 MP....


What exactly do you want to do with your samsung cam?

If you want to do real professional or product photography for stock services, i would suggest you to buy a Pentax 645Z, though it is your decision to buy a much more expensive Mamiya, Hasselblad, Leaf, Phase one, and so on. Furthermore, there are still digital ViewCameras. Those are also very expensive. (Do those offer 205 AF sensors ?? )

Conclusion:
Cameras only make photos, they can not make you fly. and AGAIN: The actual question is:

WHAT COULD BE DIFFERENT ABOUT A PENTAX FF DSLR ?

If we post something more generative, maybe we are lucky and Ricoh-Imaging still can implement one or another feature into the upcoming FF DSLR.

---------- Post added 09-23-14 at 02:25 AM ----------

And another one. I did a little math and now i would say, a Megapixel count of 24.3 or 24.7 would satisfy every need. So this is one thing i really do NOT find it should be different.
I was just saying that other manufacturers have what you ask for, at least in certain regions.


Also, IIRC you were asking for AF sensors all over the place, and more of them. Now you tell me people only use the center one... well, yes, I only use the center one. Used the others too on my *istDS, but on the K-5 I find it too troublesome to switch the AF point. It lacks consistency... I can be in either mode, AF selection or WB etc., and I'll only find out once I press a button and might end up where I don't want to be. Having to press Fn before selecting WB, etc., would make much more sense to me.


I want a camera that can also take stills... usually half of my memory card ends up with video, the other with stills. Am I supposed to buy a $10000 camera, plus another one for stills, and carry 2 sets of cameras and lenses etc., just so I can have video and stills? Don't be ridiculous. Besides, the new ARRI is only available as a rental camera... as it is made of 3 Alexa, which each costs as much as a really decent car, I'm not surprised.


The SR on the K-3 can only compensate during stills, which is idiotic.


Samsung makes affordable cameras that can be used while diving... and they make phone calls too. I think they have an idea about making stuff weather resistant. Also, IIRC there are 2 NX lenses that are WR.


I did professional architectural photography with a *istDS, and photos got printed really big. No one complained, only I cringed a bit. I would not want to do this sort of photography with a 645Z, not the way I do it at least. It would be a post processing nightmare. I'm happy with 16 MP... I want something with 12-16 MP.


In any case, I think Samsung's way of doing it... putting the PDAF sensors on the sensor, plus using an ISOCELL/BSI sensor to get high resolutions without sacrificing IQ, is what Pentax would have to do to do what you IIRC asked for. Basically buy their sensors from Samsung. And the processor. And make it mirrorless, because otherwise the PDAF doesn't work, and it can reach the levels of miniaturization that Pentax likes.


Samsung has been using air gap free OLED screens at least 3 years ago (my old phone is... makes repairs very expensive). They might be using it on the NX-1, but just can't be bothered to mention it. Have you held a Samsung Galaxy S4, S5 or Note in your hands? That sort of screen is used by the NX-1. And while yes, it is oversaturated and bright on the phones, it doesn't have to be. If calibrated properly, which for a professional camera they may have done (who knows...), then it should not be an issue. I wish Pentax was using something even close to that. Plus Gorilla glass... my K-5 screen got scratched so easily that I had to put a screen protector on it. Which doesn't help cutting down reflections... The main disadvantage of using glass is that it breaks easily when dropped. Which in the case of cameras rarely happens, I hope, and if you do drop your DSLR I guess the screen would be the smallest worry.

Last edited by kadajawi; 09-23-2014 at 03:38 AM.
09-23-2014, 05:35 AM   #396
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 128
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
In any case, I think Samsung's way of doing it... putting the PDAF sensors on the sensor, plus using an ISOCELL/BSI sensor to get high resolutions without sacrificing IQ, is what Pentax would have to do to do what you IIRC asked for. Basically buy their sensors from Samsung. And the processor. And make it mirrorless, because otherwise the PDAF doesn't work, and it can reach the levels of miniaturization that Pentax likes.
If that's true it's great news. Whether or not it's Samsung, the technology is there.
10-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #397
Veteran Member
patarok's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 351
I read the article about t-stops and f-stops and another suggestion for a new generation of FF DSLR would be a new generation of lenses also, which offer continuously variable t-stop values. And therefore dropping the whole F-Stop thing and furthermore we will all measure and manipulate aperture only by the t-stop values. That would really be cool for video also. A real smooth aperture control.
It is self evident that such a new generation of lenses and camera will feature K-Mount and is of course fully backwards compatible.


Maybe someone at RICOH-Imaging will have an idea about a new way of making use of a working aperture also. That would also be cool. Maybe. :*P

Last edited by patarok; 10-01-2014 at 11:31 AM.
10-01-2014, 11:43 AM   #398
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 128
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The SR on the K-3 can only compensate during stills, which is idiotic.
It occurred to me yesterday that all they would have to do to vastly improve the video SR would be turn off the face tracking in video. There is SR without the face tracking. The jello effect would still be a problem but the tracking issue would at least be solved. And that's all software. Why not a firmware update?

10-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #399
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
I read the article about t-stops and f-stops and another suggestion for a new generation of FF DSLR would be a new generation of lenses also, which offer continuously variable t-stop values. And therefore dropping the whole F-Stop thing and furthermore we will all measure and manipulate aperture only by the t-stop values. That would really be cool for video also. A real smooth aperture control.
It is self evident that such a new generation of lenses and camera will feature K-Mount and is of course fully backwards compatible.


Maybe someone at RICOH-Imaging will have an idea about a new way of making use of a working aperture also. That would also be cool. Maybe. :*P
The camera controls where the aperture stops these days. So the lenses are already continuously variable; and have been for quite some time. Even the older lenses are continuously variable when controlled by the camera. This is why it's easy to go back-and-forth between 1/3rd stops and 1/2 stops.

Setting in t-stops would have advantages in manual exposure, but right now I let the camera tell me what the exposure should be, so I don't mind if t-stop differs from f-stop a bit.

F-stop will always determine DOF so I prefer the situation remains as-is.
10-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #400
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,623
QuoteOriginally posted by easyreeder Quote
It occurred to me yesterday that all they would have to do to vastly improve the video SR would be turn off the face tracking in video. There is SR without the face tracking. The jello effect would still be a problem but the tracking issue would at least be solved. And that's all software. Why not a firmware update?
I'm afraid that's not the solution. The problem is that the camera doesn't use the sensors in the camera to stabilize, it only looks at the picture. So if most of the subject is moving, with the camera being stationary, the camera will be confused. You'd be too, if you don't have the sensors in the ear to tell you about the movements.

The solution would be to use the sensors that the camera has, however that is hard because the stabilisation is a feature of the Milbeaut processor that was just activated by Pentax, but isn't designed to take into account sensors that tell about the movement of the camera.

And the jello problem wouldn't be fixed (and it is made much worse by electronic stabilisation).

The solution is of course to allow users to use the mechanical stabiliser, and that would be possible by firmware of course. Btw. mechanical SR also fixes jello, cause it is the small shaking that ruins the picture, and SR filters that out very well.
10-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #401
Veteran Member
patarok's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 351
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The camera controls where the aperture stops these days. So the lenses are already continuously variable; and have been for quite some time. Even the older lenses are continuously variable when controlled by the camera. This is why it's easy to go back-and-forth between 1/3rd stops and 1/2 stops.

Setting in t-stops would have advantages in manual exposure, but right now I let the camera tell me what the exposure should be, so I don't mind if t-stop differs from f-stop a bit.

F-stop will always determine DOF so I prefer the situation remains as-is.
Yes, that is true for most of the people. Maybe it was kind of a childish idea.

But where are your childish ideas?

What could be different about Pentax FF?
10-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #402
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,623
QuoteOriginally posted by easyreeder Quote
If that's true it's great news. Whether or not it's Samsung, the technology is there.
Photokina Q&A: Can the Samsung NX1 redefine pro performance with a quantum leap in technology?

The NX-1 is really impressive. The sensor, the processor, ... seems like both are years ahead of their competitors.
10-01-2014, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #403
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
What could be different about Pentax FF?

Mounts K-lenses natively?




In reality I think having a small, professional, easy-to-handle FF camera is enough. Unfortunately the D600, and later the A7, beat Pentax to the punch. Fortunately the D600 handling is not the best, and the A7 lacks a OVF for better or worse. So there's still room for Pentax...
10-01-2014, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #404
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Marietta, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,238
Yes, Pentax has always been about the basics
- Lenses that look good and are affordable
- Smallish bodies, at least portable enough
- OVF as good as it gets in its class
- User-friendly interfaces
- Well built stuff
- Some ahead-of-the-game features (AA optional, SR - which might not make it to FF, etc)

I mean, once you add it all up, it makes it a no-nonsense system and that's what I like about it. They can take the no-nonsense approach to FF and I think they'll be alright
10-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #405
Veteran Member
patarok's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 351
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Photokina Q&A: Can the Samsung NX1 redefine pro performance with a quantum leap in technology?

The NX-1 is really impressive. The sensor, the processor, ... seems like both are years ahead of their competitors.
i saw the camera. And i saw some reviews of photokina users on youtube. about 200 af sensors? and it really didn't hit like it was supposed to... besides that, i find the handling a little bit quirky. photocamera - videocamera - photocamera -- what?

---------- Post added 10-01-14 at 02:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Yes, Pentax has always been about the basics
- Lenses that look good and are affordable
- Smallish bodies, at least portable enough
- OVF as good as it gets in its class
- User-friendly interfaces
- Well built stuff
- Some ahead-of-the-game features (AA optional, SR - which might not make it to FF, etc)

I mean, once you add it all up, it makes it a no-nonsense system and that's what I like about it. They can take the no-nonsense approach to FF and I think they'll be alright
I am with that!

No Nonsense!! and no 200 af sensors... pffrt...
But it should have SR... c'mon!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
24x36mm, camera, cameras, challenge, change, display, dslr, features, ff, full-frame, image, issue, lenses, light, live, market, mirrorless, mode, money, pentax, post, sensor, system, technology, video, view, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Could Different Sensors Be Compared To Different Films? rbefly Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 01-15-2014 06:36 AM
DA lenses that could be used on FF toukan Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 11-28-2013 05:04 AM
How could a Pentax FF be cost effective? normhead Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 3 09-18-2012 12:18 PM
FF Pentax could be like Nikon D3 Denis Pentax News and Rumors 7 08-01-2008 09:05 PM
Pentax hybrid FF camera. Could it be real? ogl Pentax News and Rumors 38 07-07-2008 04:27 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:26 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top