Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2015, 02:34 PM   #676

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
The more I think about it, the more the idea of a fully interchangeable camera system strikes me as being a (potentially) industry shaking idea.

Engineering challenges aside, imagine a system with which you could change sensors at will. 12MP full-frame for your high-ISO low light scenario, 36MP where detail is important, or even a crop sensor if your lens of choice for a particular situation is DA. You could carry multiple sensors, just like lenses.

No more updating your whole camera body when new sensor tech arrives, just buy the latest Pentax sensor accessory to pop into your system.

The same could apply to all sorts of elements in the system. Viewfinders being the one that has already been identified and discussed extensively here.

I'm not saying I think Pentax is going to do this (certainly not to the extent I have suggested above), as I'm sure the engineering challenges and cost of development are prohibitive, if not impossible. BUT, the idea would certainly take the industry by storm if it could be done, and Pentax would be well and truly back on the radar...
I've been thinking about that for quite some time as well. That would truly be earth shattering for this industry! They could make a whole array of sensors modules, along the same lines as all those modes they have on the K-x. One for Stagelight, Sports, Portraits, Weddings, etc. Now that would be amazing!!!

Last edited by MyTZuS; 05-19-2015 at 04:22 PM.
05-20-2015, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #677
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MyTZuS Quote
I've been thinking about that for quite some time as well. That would truly be earth shattering for this industry! They could make a whole array of sensors modules, along the same lines as all those modes they have on the K-x. One for Stagelight, Sports, Portraits, Weddings, etc. Now that would be amazing!!!
This is a very appealing idea. True monochrome sensors, infra red sensors, full spectrum sensors. Big/small sensels, ultra high iso performance, or ISO25. And a Q-sensor module in a K-mount body with DA* 300 means retaining AF at how many mm equivalent? A small camera body, with 3 sensors and three small primes already results in 9 combinations. Limitles possibilities for the users and a very appealing aftermarket sales oppertunity for marketing as well. That's why, if it was really possible then it would already have been done. The engineering aspects pose the biggest problem. And what's going to stop e.g. Sony from providing aftermarket sensors for our Pentax camera bodies? It would require Pentax to enforce some kind of encryption between sensor module and camera. Ewww...

Last edited by Clavius; 05-20-2015 at 01:10 AM.
05-20-2015, 07:07 AM   #678

Why not let third parties make sensor modules for Pentax? Works for the IT industry on so many levels. Forgot full spectrum sensors like I have on my drone.

Can't think of anything that would be more mind blowing or earth shattering... especially since the main complaint of camera users, besides service, is that they're being strung along by the big boys with incremental improvements that could have been done a long time ago or in one body.

Make one body, make lenses, make 3-4 sensor modules, then open it up to the community. Magic Lantern anyone??? And there would be others.

Thats another thing, Service. I've owned a very successful service business, its not that hard. And the manufacturers that I rep'ed for found repeat customers just based on my service. Not bragging, just stating a simple fact that doesn't seem to be covered in MBA school.

Note- I'm available for a job as an Imagineer for Pentax!

Last edited by MyTZuS; 05-20-2015 at 07:14 AM.
05-20-2015, 07:40 AM   #679
Veteran Member

Why not let third parties make sensor modules for Pentax?
Make one body, make lenses, make 3-4 sensor modules, then open it up to the community. Magic Lantern anyone??? And there would be others.
So, if third party manufacturers are going to make sensor modules too. Then how would this idea be appealing to Pentax? I mean, users won't be enticed to upgrade bodies as quickly as usual anymore. And if they buy sensor modules from elsewhere, where's the fun in that for Pentax?

05-20-2015, 07:51 AM   #680
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
Always a thought I guess.

Although, why do it with the already small FF market, and not produce a LH version of the K3 (which, assuming it would make any return, would be the more viable option)?
I would need a complete reverse design of the body extremely expensive, I think most left handers have little problem with the present design. Todays situation is more like playing tennis with a left handed tennis racquet than a left handed golf club. For the record I'm a lefty.
05-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #681

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
So, if third party manufacturers are going to make sensor modules too. Then how would this idea be appealing to Pentax? I mean, users won't be enticed to upgrade bodies as quickly as usual anymore. And if they buy sensor modules from elsewhere, where's the fun in that for Pentax?
Its not about fun, its about profit. Seriously, I can think of many ways this would be appealing to Pentax/Ricoh & the consumer... both pro & not so pro.

I could write pages on this but I'll try to stick to only one way. The least sexy of the ways/reasons.

The body. The way I envision it, the re-design of the body would be minimal, as in very. With a more focused product line & minimal re-design, shorter path to profit. Larger profits due to focused manufacturing & increase in sales.

Thats all I'm saying without being hired!!!

Ok, I can't resist, have to tease (in a serious way)... the third party sensor module makers would be the biggest profit avenue for Pentax.
05-20-2015, 10:25 AM   #682
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The biggest problem with sensor modules is that most of the parts inside the camera has to be included in the sensor module.

The hardware/software inside cameras are usually custom designed for each sensor used. As electronics is evolving fast it would be difficult to make the camera module to support future sensor modules, so you probably have to replace the camera module and sensor modules every time you upgrade.
You are not going to gain much by separating the sensor/electronics from camera shell/mechanical parts.

And it would be difficult to include sensor stabilization in the sensor mmodule.

05-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #683

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
The biggest problem with sensor modules is that most of the parts inside the camera has to be included in the sensor module.
Exactly. It can be done though. And should be done that way.
05-21-2015, 01:22 AM   #684
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Exactly. It can be done though. And should be done that way.
I don't think it would be very sucessful as the sensor modules would cost about the same as a complete camera. And a complete modular camera would cost 30-50% more than a non-modular camera.

A camera module would cost maybe $200-500 and APS-C sensor module $1000-1200 and FF sensor module $2000-3000.
05-21-2015, 02:29 AM   #685
Veteran Member

I don't think it makes sense. It causes cameras to be bigger, more expensive, more complicated, more prone to defects, let alone how the hell are you going to weatherproof it? For a feature only few would use. And some of those would buy several complete cameras too.

This is done in the professional video/cinema world. Look at RED for example. But they have different requirements, and adapt the cameras for different shoots. Maybe one day you are using a steadicam rig, so the battery is sitting on the rig itself. The monitor is mounted next to the camera. Then perhaps a crane, monitor is far away from the camera. And finally have it on a shoulder mount, with an EVF attached. Sensor modules can be replaced too. But everything is bigger, better, heavier in that world. And much more expensive.

Also Olympus has that already. A sensor that has no screen or controls, that can be attached to a lens. The screen and control unit is a phone.
05-21-2015, 04:32 AM   #686
Forum Member

"Shrink" button that will shrink the size & weight of your FF and attached lens to a point where it will fit neatly in a shirt pocket.
"Pixie dust" setting that will allow you to emulate the look of your favorite Pentax Limited lens. This will be done in-camera as a layered Photoshop file so you can decide to keep it or not. (All done with no additional processor resources!)
Sorry, that's all I've got. The IBM 1620 that runs my Pentax-to-English emulator is down. ;-)
05-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #687

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
This is done in the professional video/cinema world. Look at RED for example. But they have different requirements, and adapt the cameras for different shoots. Maybe one day you are using a steadicam rig, so the battery is sitting on the rig itself. The monitor is mounted next to the camera. Then perhaps a crane, monitor is far away from the camera. And finally have it on a shoulder mount, with an EVF attached. Sensor modules can be replaced too. But everything is bigger, better, heavier in that world. And much more expensive.

Also Olympus has that already. A sensor that has no screen or controls, that can be attached to a lens. The screen and control unit is a phone.
I would not emulate the existing world of video nor photography. And there is no reason why it makes anything bigger or more expensive or heavier. Forget what you know.... thats the key.

No more wisdom til I get hired!
05-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #688
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What would be real different and real cool is a less than 1000$ price tag
05-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #689
Veteran Member

I would not emulate the existing world of video nor photography. And there is no reason why it makes anything bigger or more expensive or heavier. Forget what you know.... thats the key.

No more wisdom til I get hired!
All the connections to go between the parts. The extra body parts. You can't squeeze in a component somewhere inside the camera because there is space there, despite it being part of another group of components. Perhaps more chips to translate the data between the components. Parts like the sensor are more sealed off, not in an open space, meaning more heat.

Look at a half cut of a K-5. If this can even work the price is immense... size, weight, price... and what could you offload? The display and SD slot? The placement of the sensor is crucial, having a sensor in a different place is going to be an issue. So probably mirror box, AF sensor, SR, viewfinder and perhaps processor cause it needs to suit the sensor need to be in the sensor part.
05-22-2015, 12:49 AM   #690
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devouges Quote
What would be real different and real cool is a less than 1000$ price tag
To late. Sub-$1000,- already exists for some time now. It would not be 'different' at all:
Sony A7 with 12(!) extras for $998. | sonyalpharumors