Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2015, 06:18 AM   #721
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks, Rawr ... all very interesting, including the Nintendo chip story!

06-04-2015, 06:23 AM   #722
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DantaxD-SK Quote
There is some debate as to the sensor.
There are claims it will be an a7r sensor, and a7 II sensor.
Either would result in a large improvements in live AF and video.
But that would be new to Pentax, not new in general.

On the other hand there is talk of it receiving the worlds largest EXMOR RS stacked high fill ratio sensor.

Or it could have something to do with the vertical mirror AF patent.
Something very like this would have been patented in 2005 if I could afford a patent attorney.
The thing is Pentax did great things in terms of video in the K-5, using the same codec the 10+k Canon 1Dc professional video camera does. Nikon does good stuff with quite similar hardware these days... far beyond what Pentax offers... Pentax has decent hardware. They just don't make use of it on the video side. I doubt that will change with the FF (and APS-C is more popular in the video community anyway, everything you see in cinemas is shot on APS-C-ish cameras). Though I'll gladly see Pentax prove me wrong.
06-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #723
Pentaxian

I think the title of this thread is in the wrong direction. Too much marketing hype for me. When you reach a point of knowing the type of photos you want to take for your purposes, i think many folks cross cameras off the list because its lacking in some critical need area.

[IMG][/IMG]

I shot promo shots for an hour on Tuesday and the K3 AF didn't miss once for me, in somewhat dim areas - esp the jail. K3 has WR and one of the most silent shutters out there bar the A7s. My flash worked fine all day long :-) (Cactus V6) The Pentax 17-70 was sharp for all images.

Just take away any negatives for the target audience - phrases like how to be different are too soft to be useful, IMO. Tilt LCD is required.
06-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #724
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Thanks, Rawr ... all very interesting, including the Nintendo chip story!
Indeed.. I was not aware the NES was powered by a Ricoh.

06-05-2015, 06:16 AM   #725
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Ricoh have designed and built many chips for many years, including for example the chip that drove the old NES game console, and more recently stuff like the 86K RGB metering sensor in the K-3/654Z, the AF sensor chips in all recent Ricoh cameras etc.

They partner with fabs like UMC to do the production of high-volume chips, but can also do things themselves - eg:
Manufacturing Service - Electronic Devices

Also:
Electronic Devices

But of course to do a full-frame digital sensor to rival one from Canon or Sony is a whole different ball game. I don't think they are up to that level of chip, nor would it be sensible to take on a project like that either, IMHO.
Good to know. Maybe they do have some seriously good AF technology coming in the FF.
06-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #726
Veteran Member

-Overhauled their menu to make it look more modern
-Built in NFC/WiFi
-Great video
-Articulating screen

Pentax would have a winner
06-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #727
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
-Overhauled their menu to make it look more modern
-Built in NFC/WiFi
-Great video
-Articulating screen
Pentax would have a winner
Already done: K-S2!.
06-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #728
Veteran Member

Hey! I didnt realize the ks2 had wi/fi nfc. Still video has never been the strength of pentax and i feel like their full frame they have the opportunity to step up their game! The KS2 isnt full frame either and while many (including big names) will argue that the gap between aps c and full frame is decreasing, people like me who demand the best are still going to go for full frame. I havent really seen too many people downgrading as of late. The KS-2 menu does look better than most pentax's menu and i think it's a step in the right direction that could help change pentax's image as being "dated."

Sorry if there was any confusion here but what im hinting at is a piece of pro level gear and to my knowledge the ks2 is geared more to amateurs. This is one of the problems with the industry at the moment. Certain things like articulating screens are seen as features that are only suited for entry level cameras and i think this is pretty dumb. Pros need these things just as much as amateurs in many cases more.

06-06-2015, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #729
Loyal Site Supporter

Overhauled their menu to make it look more modern
Menus are one of the things Ricoh doesn'tt need to change. Menus are one of the things I don't like about Fuji or Sony.
06-06-2015, 11:13 PM   #730
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Certain things like articulating screens are seen as features that are only suited for entry level cameras and i think this is pretty dumb. Pros need these things just as much as amateurs in many cases more.
Don't concatenate hinged LCD and articulating LCD.

A bottom-hinged LCD such as on the 645Z is the modern refconverter (right angle optical viewfinder attachment) - for oblique angle and low shooting. A side-hinged, articulating LCD (jointed for rotation), such as on a dedicated vidcam, adds 'selfie,' held-high crowd shots, real video utility and other less traditional techniques.
06-08-2015, 11:15 PM   #731
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
According to a Pentax-Ambassador, there is something really SPECIAL about that upcoming Full-Frame-Sensor DSLR... But *giggle* he is not allowd to tell us what it is...*facepalm*
Well, I hope that's true, and that Pentax hit yet another home-run.

For the record, since I started this discussion Pentax/Ricog execs have stopped mentioning the 'different' line. Maybe they're being secretive...now that it's getting closer.

Only time will tell, I guess. I'm quite sure they'll put together a fine DSLR, regardless.
06-09-2015, 02:07 AM   #732
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
I'm quite sure they'll put together a fine DSLR, regardless.
Clock is ticking though. It's June now, half-way through 2015, and 2015 is supposed to be the year of Pentax FF. But still not a peep out of Ricoh.
06-09-2015, 02:35 AM   #733
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
According to a Pentax-Ambassador, there is something really SPECIAL about that upcoming Full-Frame-Sensor DSLR... But *giggle* he is not allowd to tell us what it is...*facepalm*
If this is as true as yesterday's announcement that was "going to change everything", then we're set up for disappointment again.
06-09-2015, 03:08 AM   #734
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Clock is ticking though. It's June now, half-way through 2015, and 2015 is supposed to be the year of Pentax FF. But still not a peep out of Ricoh.
Don't they usually keep quiet about such things? What's the problem?
06-09-2015, 03:31 AM   #735
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What's the problem?
Momentum loss.

Ricoh very publicly started the ball rolling at CP+. Now they need to kick the ball along a little bit from time to time to keep it in play. Otherwise people lose interest, get sceptical, buy something else, etc.