Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #811
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
You forgot about parashute, in case you incidently drop it 😃😃😃😃
That's just silly..... airbags on the other hand......

09-12-2015, 04:52 AM - 2 Likes   #812
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
how about some crazy system that accepts DA lenses as FF lenses without the cropping. Its impossible, but cool hey
There are adapters (Metabones makes them for example) that lets you use FF lenses on APS-C cameras without crop. I imagine the other way would be possible too.
09-12-2015, 05:17 AM   #813
Veteran Member

hey, d... those adapters already exist. You only need to take a teleconverter.... thats nothing else than a reversed speedbooster.

with a speedbooster you get an unmagnified(shrinked) picture that may be a bit blown up by some optical element and a minus on aperture stop.
with a teleconverter you get a magnified picture, but therefore you have to accept a plus on aperture stop.

Thats not exact scientific arguing i am doing here. But as I am no scientist i don't have to, and you should get the point.

And @"the trolls united":

plz spare us your indoctrinations about how exactly a speedbooster is not a reversed teleconverter, we don't wanna know.
The issue of kadajawi, was how to make use of his DA-Zooms without loosing the edges(gaining heavy vignetting) i guess. i Hope this has been helpful.
BTW: Guys who want to keep their WR lenses WR and use them in this way on FF, will have to use the original "HD Pentax-DA AF-Konverter 1,4x AW" Adapter... though it is only 1.4 and not 1.56 magnification, i guess it will do the trick for most lenses..

Maybe i will take the time to find out which lens exactly will fail, filling the 24x36mm surface with light even when used with the 1.4x Converter. But i really think they should all be good. But i could be wrong and we will have to wait, or petition for a 1.7x version of this thingy.... i will have a look at this later on.

HD Pentax-DA AF-Konverter 1,4x AW - RICOH IMAGING DEUTSCHLAND GmbH
09-12-2015, 12:29 PM   #814
Veteran Member

Forgive me but i fail to see what point using cheaper apsc lenses on a more full frame expensive camera is.. You would be getting fewer megapixels at the least which seems like it defeats the purpose.. The lens wont cover all of the sensor meaning the adapter will only let you use 1/2 the sensor area.. I think sony is the one to beat here. The a6000 lets you adapt use your old nikon, canon, etc flashes and it still works flawlessly with zero adapters. I personally think their astro tracker would be very nice with.. drumroll.. a touch screen. I dont know how many of you have use stellarium but im thinking of something along the lines of something where you could navigate the cosmos like a smartphone. Pentax has usually been behind the tech curve which why if they were ahead of it, it might work out in their favor.. Something like a transparent display would be cool. Lens adapting has already been done by sony and competing with them for that seems kind of pointless. Do something that no one would ever think of pentax to do. Allow us to directly upload to social media, allow us to send our photos directly to ligthroom, etc. Change up something that no one else has bothered to rethink. Give us a screen that is jut as visible in outdoors as it is indoors. Or maybe allow us to check our battery status from our phone. Or better yet give us battaries with a display for checking status. Give us wireless charging. Do something that will get the masses talking

Last edited by neostyles; 09-12-2015 at 04:41 PM.
09-12-2015, 04:24 PM   #815
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
I dont know how many of you have use stellarium but im thinking of something along the lines of something where you could navigate the cosmos like a smartphone.
This functionality would not only be great for identifying the right framing for capturing certain constellations, but also for verifying how well the calibration procedure has worked.
09-14-2015, 03:57 AM   #816
Pentaxian

Forgive me but i fail to see what point using cheaper apsc lenses on a more full frame expensive camera is.. You would be getting fewer megapixels at the least which seems like it defeats the purpose.. The lens wont cover all of the sensor meaning the adapter will only let you use 1/2 the sensor area.. I think sony is the one to beat here. The a6000 lets you adapt use your old nikon, canon, etc flashes and it still works flawlessly with zero adapters. I personally think their astro tracker would be very nice with.. drumroll.. a touch screen. I dont know how many of you have use stellarium but im thinking of something along the lines of something where you could navigate the cosmos like a smartphone. Pentax has usually been behind the tech curve which why if they were ahead of it, it might work out in their favor.. Something like a transparent display would be cool. Lens adapting has already been done by sony and competing with them for that seems kind of pointless. Do something that no one would ever think of pentax to do. Allow us to directly upload to social media, allow us to send our photos directly to ligthroom, etc. Change up something that no one else has bothered to rethink. Give us a screen that is jut as visible in outdoors as it is indoors. Or maybe allow us to check our battery status from our phone. Or better yet give us battaries with a display for checking status. Give us wireless charging. Do something that will get the masses talking
Adapters are IMHO useful for those who can't afford to instantly buy a bunch of brand new lenses to go along with the camera. Maybe using old lenses will be enough for example. Personally the reason why I could even imagine going for FF is the bigger viewfinder, and that doesn't depend on the lens resolution. Also the DoF would be nice to have.

Having some smartphone connectivity would not hurt perhaps, but that can't be all. And if the question if competitors really should influence what Pentax does... well, I doubt Pentax can compete with Samsung in that field.

IMHO all the functionality in the FF should assist pros doing their job. So... quickly being able to send the photo to the smartphone or even edit on camera and upload to FB/Instagram can be useful (think a wedding or event photographer that uses a short break to upload photos of the event to their social media page to create some interest or whatever, but it has to be professional enough and work flawless. Likewise an API would be really nice in order to remote control the camera. Think placing it in a hard to reach location and completely control it via the phone, tablet or computer. Shooting in a studio environment, with the image immediately being piped to a big display, or even being able to control it from a tablet (think recomposing by using sensor shift, but controlling that through the touchscreen interface). Or using a computer/phone/tablet to control the flashes (also new, API, ...). The camera automatically takes a photo with only natural light, then each flash once, and then you see a preview on the screen of how it would look together. Using dials you can adjust the brightness of each light to balance it all out, maybe get a preview of how it would look with gels, ...

Whatever they do, it needs to assist pros getting the shot. Workflow enhancements, things that are a lot of manual work should be possible automatically (imagine focus stacking... just let the camera take care of the refocusing for each shot, and have it be repeatable for panoramas, exposure bracketing, ...

The same stuff should go into the next K-3 too, it should be as professional as possible, but with APS-C. Below that there is still space for easier cameras.
09-18-2015, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #817
Veteran Member

What about batteries? Pentax could innovate here? In addition to the standard size battaries about extra big battaries for the grip that say offer twice as much power?? It would add to the weight sure but for those shooting a time lapse or something it would really help out. What about weather sealed batteries? Seems kinda minor sure but if someone is out in the field and its raining they can do their battary switch out in the open. What about a metering mode where you could go in and tell the camera meter for this specific part of the scene? Would help pros get the shot and there hasnt been much innovation here imo. For over a decade its been the choice of rhe same 3. metering modes. The iphone came out in 2007 and it lets you just expose for a certain part of the scene just by tapping the screen. There could be a new shadow/highlight metering mode where it lets you adjust the balance of highlights and shadows that it exposes for. just an idea.

EDIT: even better allow us to charge via usb. There are a ton of high capacity usb power banks for people to choose from.

Last edited by neostyles; 09-18-2015 at 04:45 PM.
09-18-2015, 08:50 PM   #818
Pentaxian

EDIT: even better allow us to charge via usb. There are a ton of high capacity usb power banks for people to choose from.
Absolutely. This. Other brands are doing it already (usually coming from the more innovative consumer electronics field). Though they may drop the charger and make it an optional accessory, which is also a bad idea.

Basically I want the standard charger that comes with the camera (but also features an USB port so we can easily charge anywhere), and please make it faster. It takes longer than the time it takes to drain the battery... My aftermarket charger has a USB port.

The AC adapter port should be replaced by a USB port. That can be used to transfer data, charge the camera and operate the camera. So you plug it in to transfer photos to your computer, and slowly the battery gets charged (I use my laptops USB port to do that sometimes, and it gets the job done in a reasonable time. Well, it is slow, but at least not much slower than AC). Or you plug the power bank or USB AC adapter into the camera, and you can run the camera of the power bank/adapter unless it needs more power than can be provided, and when the USB port delivers more power than the camera needs, the leftover is used to charge the internal battery. Maybe it could even be possible to swap the internal battery while in this mode.

Another mode would be to plug in an external hard drive. The camera would supply enough juice to the drive, and support FAT32 and NTFS drives at least. In this mode you can copy or move photos from the SD card to the drive. No need for a laptop during a longer trip.

The final mode would be tethered shooting via USB and an API. The additional benefit would be that the camera would also be powered by USB.

As to which connector... those super rare ones should be dropped. Either microUSB or USB 3.1 Type C (at least physically...). I'd pick the later to future proof the camera and because it is much more robust (hopefully) than microUSB.

I do like the tap to expose feature you mentioned. Likewise tap to focus. Maybe touch the corresponding button (AE-L and AF) and then the screen... an eye proximity sensor should be able to notice if it was intentional or not. If the eye is looking through the viewfinder the touchscreen could be used to do operations by swiping. Say focus point selection... you use the screen like a touchpad, navigating through the focus points.

09-27-2015, 06:04 AM   #819
Veteran Member

I like that idea with the battery somehow, as i dont understand why we gotta have 2 versions of the D-Li90? i got 2 versions. One with 3 contacts and one with 4. I did no research on this why and what this should be good for, but i guess, that the battery with the 4 contacts communicates better with the cameras.. and so should be every other D-Li90... . We need PZ functions back, like we had on Z-1p with the SMC Pentax-FA* 28-70mm F2.8 AL.... where is the problem now that we have ultra silent motors that are also energy-saving??? Even Nikon implemented Power-Zoom on their "1 Nikkor" series... I just bought me a Z-1p and played around with the functions of an SMC Pentax-FA 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 and imagine that in s i l e n t and with the AF powers of a K-3 or better... yummy.
09-27-2015, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #820
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm happy for the Pentax faithful. The desire has been there for years for a FF camera. Pentax has some excellent lenses that with modern coatings would be great. As with many Pentax cameras, this will probably be more weatherproof and bang resistant than Canikon bodies and there will be some nice little tweaks.

That said, I can't help thinking that a new SLR camera coming out in '16 will be somewhat of a dinosaur, FF or not.

Mirrorless is the future. Already, the new EVFs compete well with the better OVFs, Some like the Fuji X-T1 and the Sony A7r II are arguably better at most things. They are both bigger than the Canon 1DX (.77 and .78 respectively), really about as much as can be viewed reasonably, especially for glasses wearers. The Olympus EM-1 is also very good. Probably Samsung's new ones are too. Those will only get better and better. It is a revelation to use the X-T1 and pre-chimp a shot, even see a live histogram. The split screen pop-up window makes manual focusing a joy, which opens up glass from any maker. Focus peaking is another great manual focus tool only available on electronic screens. It's a game changer.

Lately I've been seeing opinion pieces that say that if Canon and Nikon don't face the mirrorless challenge within the next couple of years they risk being made obsolete, as Canon made Kodak obsolete not too long ago. A player like Pentax with a relatively tiny market share will either become even more niche or become another casualty in the obsolescence race.

The focus speed discrepancy has been eliminated except for the $5K + sports/journalist models. And contrast detection is more accurate. The sensor pulls focus directly, so there's no more lens calibration. Lenses don't back or fore focus. They just work, especially zooms. The new mirrorless cameras now have electronic shutter settings that set max shutter speed at either 16 or 32K. It's also silent. The only thing audible is the mechanical click of the shutter button itself, which can't be heard more than 6 inches away.

So a new full frame Pentax will be a reliable camera. It will take good photos and have good glass. It will also be obsolete in concept within a handful of years.

I could be wrong. The new camera may have a Fuji like hybrid finder and on-sensor phase detection focus, which would be awesome and push the camera pass the big 2. I'm not hopeful. Especially at the rate Sony has been moving, BTW, Sony's imaging department is now making, not losing money.
09-28-2015, 04:22 AM   #821
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
Mirrorless is the future.
Once upon a time there were things called rangefinder cameras. They were the everything. Now they are a small and very expensive niche where they are not museum pieces.

Mirrorless is IMO the new rangefinder. It has its place, but that place is alongside - not instead of - single-lens reflex.
09-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #822
Pentaxian

I think it is somewhere in between. Mirrorless has it's place, and that is going to expand as EVFs get better. In some fields it may never replace DSLRs, in others it will. I do think DSLRs will head towards a niche. DSLRs will thus be the new rangefinder. But that can take a long time, depending on screen tech and processor power inside these cameras. Hybrids may also be very attractive, especially at the higher end. DSLRs that also function mirrorless, with an electric screen that can be used inside the viewfinder. All you'd lose would be the size and weight benefits, but in turn it is much more flexible.
09-28-2015, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #823
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
But that can take a long time, depending on screen tech and processor power inside these cameras.
All that takes electrical power, which chews up your batteries faster. Sure, the DSLR mirror and the power drive for your AF are going to do that as well, but those only use power when they're moving; the EVF and the back screen use it ALL THE TIME, and one of them at least is mandatory on a mirrorless camera if you want to get your framing and composition right. If you're lying in wait for significant periods for some animal to come out of its hole or step into a clearing, that's going to shorten your battery life no end. For sure, one of those DSLR niches you talk about is going to be wildlife photography. Those who like taking pics of guest fly-bys by historic aircraft at airshows likewise need to wait for their subject to turn up.

I suspect it's going to be the other way - DSLR makers will get better at projecting important information onto the viewfinder or injecting it optically into the pentaprism somehow, in a selective fashion. The resulting technological race could be interesting to watch.
09-29-2015, 12:01 PM   #824
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Once upon a time there were things called rangefinder cameras. They were the everything. Now they are a small and very expensive niche where they are not museum pieces.

Mirrorless is IMO the new rangefinder. It has its place, but that place is alongside - not instead of - single-lens reflex.
Mirrorless doesn't seem to have any of the limitations of rangefinders.

I never used a good rangefinder though so take my comment with a grain of salt.
09-29-2015, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #825
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
That said, I can't help thinking that a new SLR camera coming out in '16 will be somewhat of a dinosaur, FF or not.
You mean, camera manufacturers should simply give up to a market which is more than 3 times larger than the MILC one, just like that?
Those mirrorless fans are so amusing...