Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 147 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #91
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
When Pentax launch full frame, it is going to be a mirrorless one. That is my prediction.
They'll be magnifying the Q? ;-)

Management wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't at least study this option, but surely a cross of the K3/645D is the path of least resistance!

05-15-2014, 04:21 PM   #92
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
They'll be magnifying the Q? ;-)

Management wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't at least study this option, but surely a cross of the K3/645D is the path of least resistance!
As long as I can use my current prime lenses on a Pentax full frame body with SR, I really do not care much about its morphology.

By the way, I have been advocating the enlargement of Q for quite some time. It's a great camera that deserves a huge sensor.
05-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #93

Maybe Pentax will take the Fuji route and combine the pentaprism and a EVF in the same package, so you cam have live view in the view finder. I know that's what id like to see happen!
05-16-2014, 07:13 AM   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Now bring back the FA 20/2.8, FA/28 2.8, FA 35/2, FA 135/2.8, FA 20-35/4, FA 24-90/4, FA 28-105/3.2-4.5, FA*80-200/2.8. Maybe even the FA*250-600/5.6 for bragging rights.
To keep up with Nikon, Canon, and Sony, Pentax has to design new lenses. Some of those old FA designs, particularly the variable aperture zooms, aren't up to the demands of a 24 MP (let alone 36 MP) FF sensor. In the days of film, you could get away with a zoom which, like the FA 28-105, features very poor resolution away from the absolute center of the frame at the wide end of the lens, because many photographers were shooting with cheap, noisy film and they were more accustomed to putting up with less resolution than we are today. In the age of high definition TVs and the mania for pixel peeping, Pentax is going to have to come up with stronger designs than the old FA zoom glasses. That's why Pentax has a 70-200 on the roadmap; and I'm sure we'll see the fast standard zoom whenever the Pentax FF finally gets released. As for the FA primes, many of them are redundant. The FA 28 and FA 35 are not needed as long as you have an FA 31.

05-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #95
Banned

When Pentax launch full frame, it is going to be a mirrorless one. That is my prediction.
If Pentax came out with a mirrorless with a 12mp sensor ( 50-409600 iso range ) , internal cinema 4K (4096x2160) recording and OLED EVF it would be a killer camera !
05-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #96
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
If Pentax came out with a mirrorless with a 12mp sensor ( 50-409600 iso range ) , internal cinema 4K (4096x2160) recording and OLED EVF it would be a killer camera !
a7s was precisely what I had in mind. With IBIS. I'm not all that interested in the movie options. Pentax could downgrade these so as to lower the price. That would be a killer camera indeed.
05-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #97
Banned

a7s was precisely what I had in mind. With IBIS. I'm not all that interested in the movie options. Pentax could downgrade these so as to lower the price. That would be a killer camera indeed.
The downside to taking out movie mode is much steeper than leaving it in. I bet Canon would have lost a large percent of their 5D MK II sales if they did not have movie mode in it way back in 2008.

Reverie - vincentlaforet

Reverie - Behind The Scenes - vincentlaforet

05-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #98
Veteran Member

The A7S is expected to be more expensive than the A7R.

You can buy a 4TB hard drive for ~$150. I don't see any advantage to the A7S if you're not interested in video.
05-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #99
Pentaxian

I don't believe in any strategy that includes "lower the price"; and I'm certain Pentax/Ricoh doesn't, either. After all, they tried that in the past - it didn't work, and I would say it backfired badly, gaining a reputation of being a "cheap"/"bargain" brand.

As for the A7s, that's $2500.
05-16-2014, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The downside to taking out movie mode is much steeper than leaving it in. I bet Canon would have lost a large percent of their 5D MK II sales if they did not have movie mode in it way back in 2008.
Broadcast network news divisions are using 5D for Remote these days. Video absolutely matters.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-17-2014 at 12:33 PM.
05-16-2014, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #101
Pentaxian

I'm sorry but there's a huge amount of backlash to including video that just doesn't add up at all. Video is lots of stills really, that's about it. All the same picture staging, composition, depth of field decisions from stills work remain when you shoot video.
It doesn't cost any more to have video, it's not detrimental to your stills performance/capability, and you plain don't have to use it if you don't want to.

From Pentax's point of view they'd want to sell as many cameras as possible, and opening their product up to be a capable video unit will only attract more buyers, which is a good thing. They've got the hardware, (impressive weather sealing and IBIS), they just need to improve the software to match. Be it FF or other sensor, improving the video capabilities is important and should be so easy, given many of the current issues are simply from odd software implementation decisions.
05-16-2014, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #102
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Features and/or services where professionals, especially the photojournalists and including on-location commercial photographers, will find it very useful and helpful - in my opinion, this will make the Pentax FF or other Pentax Professional Class Cameras could at least differ from others:

- Built-in Thunderbolt Port - this multi-purpose port can provide different uses like: lightning-fast data transfer and/or transmission reaching up to 10Gbps transfer rate (like the one found on a Apple Macbook Air); the Thunderbolt port can also allow the photographer to easily connect to a gigabit or standard ethernet network via an optional Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter and tethered to a wired LAN where the photographer can manually select multiple images or automatically transmit all the images to a computer or to an FTP server or to an online storage sites like Dropbox/Google Drive/Flickr while continuously taking more photos, and can also do remote-tethered-control the camera. With the short effective transmission range of the Pentax O-FC1 FluCard (recommended range is up to 7.5m / 24 ft), through the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, the photographer can attach an optional dedicated long-range Ethernet Wi-Fi Bridge/Transmitter (like THIS one) in order to effectively transmit the images wirelessly to a computer or to an FTP server or to wirelessly remote access/control the camera through wireless network even at farther distance.
- Pentax wired or wireless tethering available and supported by softwares like Lightroom.
- Voice Memo feature: where the photographer can record short voice memo in-camera and will be saved as mp3 or mp4 audio format next to the selected photograph.
- Professional Service Center or Support in every country with high demands for customer support: When a professional photographer needs his Pentax equipment to be serviced or repaired, a reliable and quality service center for Pentax equipment is available at reach, and able to provide loaner cameras and lenses to approved professional photographers while their cameras are being serviced.
- APS-C and Q-format Mode: Well, just like Nikon's DX Mode, still able to use cropped lenses on full frame Pentax, plus, why not throw in a 1.8" crop mode too like the crop size of Pentax Q7's sensor.
- High Speed Flash Sync reaching up to 1/1600s* IF Pentax-Ricoh could make a 35mm full frame format Pentax K-mount "LS" (Leaf Shutter) Lenses, that would be (theoretically) possible for a Pentax FF camera finally have a high speed flash sync. With this, the Pentax camera should be able to automatically identify a Standard K-mount lens and a Leaf Shutter K-mount lens, and able to automatically switch from Focal-Plane Shutter Mode to Leaf Shutter Mode when changing from Standard Lens to Leaf Shutter Lens and vice-versa. This could be a killer and dream camera for strobists'!
- De-crippled Pentax K-mount or if not de-crippled, a K-mount that fully supports a FF Leaf Shutter K-mount Lenses.
- With all these features, if Pentax-Ricoh can manage to build this type of camera in a Pentax K-3 size, that would be uniquely awesome!

Enough day-dreaming for me today... LOL

Last edited by richard balonglong; 05-17-2014 at 03:08 AM.
05-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
- Voice Memo feature...
I've been asking for Voice Memo for years. Even 8 years ago my FinePix F10 point and shoot had this. Now I use my mobile phone for voice memos, but doing it in camera when shooting is logical.

Rich tethering (inc via Lightroom), professional services support, voice memo and de-crippling the K-mount are not-FF specific, of course, but would be nice to see.
05-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I've been asking for Voice Memo for years. Even 8 years ago my FinePix F10 point and shoot had this. Now I use my mobile phone for voice memos, but doing it in camera when shooting is logical.

Rich tethering (inc via Lightroom), professional services support, voice memo and de-crippling the K-mount are not-FF specific, of course, but would be nice to see.
Yeah... Voice Memo is already an old-school feature for cameras, but this feature is VERY useful for faster and much organized workflow. Pentax should consider putting this feature on future Pentax pro and semi-pro cameras..
06-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #105

Focus bracketing would be nice and innovative. Would probably only require firmware.