Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2014, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #1
Banned

What could be 'different' about Pentax FF?

Pentax/Ricoh interviews over the past 12 months, when discussing the prospect of FF, have consistently alluded to it being something 'different' to the rest of the market.

A more recent interview suggested it would be a 'straight-ball' (or traditional DSLR, as opposed to mirrorless), but still maintained the 'different' line.

In my idle musings over what would constitute 'different', I've struggled to come up with many ideas that no other manufacturer has done or is doing. Could it be the compactness of the system that Pentax seems to be peddling on a monotonous basis nowadays (ie a smaller FF than any others...a hard arguement to push against the mirrorless systems)? The shake-reduction system (that I believe Sony has already done)? Retro styling (already done...)? Sensor size (hard to image something truly 'different' given current technology)?

Or have they come up with some truly revolutionary, secret technology that's not yet perfected? Highly unlikely methinks.

I'm curious what others think could be so 'different' about a FF DSLR that it gets such regular and confident mention from Ricoh execs?

Less a discussion about "I wish it was..." than a discussion about "what it realistically might be...that would also make it different"...

04-11-2014, 07:35 PM - 6 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A dslr for left handers? Would corner 10% of the market in one day.

Square sensor?
04-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
Always a thought I guess.

Although, why do it with the already small FF market, and not produce a LH version of the K3 (which, assuming it would make any return, would be the more viable option)?
04-11-2014, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote

It might accept K-mount lenses without adaptor.

04-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
...that one exists
04-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Yep. Makes more sense. Actually, the K50 makes more sense as it would be cheaper to make the ABS body handed. They would also have to set up a new batch of backwards circuit boards, as the internals are a very tight fit. Not impossible though. The return on the camera may be zero or worse, but you would get a loyal bunch of followers (who couldn't readily switch brands) and who will buy into the system and lenses.
04-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, I hope they don't do anything too different, just for the sake of being different.

All they need is a competent D600 class FF body with a few new lenses, maybe even add a flippy screen, and some further incremental improvements (relative to the K-3, for example) to subsystems like AF, video, and flash. Then build from there. People would be happy, the camera would sell well.

From a customer point of view, a real and valuable 'difference' would be to make a 3 or even 5 year warranty on the camera standard.

04-11-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
maybe even add a flippy screen
Oh gosh I hope they stay away from stuff like that.
I somehow just wish it to be only slightly smaller than the K3, weather resistant of course, the build quality and durability we have all come to love, the same controlls... and some brilliant small (!) lenses that go with it. That's all I need basically.

To be honest I don't expect some extreme new feature.
04-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How about an OVF with some sort of projection of a histogram or other shooting info like a Heads Up Display (HUD)? I love OVFs but I understand that they are lacking in on screen display like EVFs.
04-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #10
Banned

Original Poster
'Boldly challenge the FF market' were the (translated) words from an interview in late 2013.

'It'll be a straight-ball' was the other indication. So it doesn't sound like it'll be 'too different, just for the sake of being different', or something totally left field that nobody wants or likes.

I'm just curious what could be a straight ball, but still 'boldly challenge' the status quo?

More colours? Half the price of the D800/5Dmkiii with more features (unlikely, as that would impact the APS-C range)?

Or could they be saying it just to get idiots like me (and/or their competitors) asking 'I wonder what could be different'? Funnily enough, this last thought is the most likely answer I keep arriving at.

---------- Post added 04-12-14 at 01:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
How about an OVF with some sort of projection of a histogram or other shooting info like a Heads Up Display (HUD)? I love OVFs but I understand that they are lacking in on screen display like EVFs.
The problem I encounter with the thought that it is technology-related is the question 'why limit it to the FF camera, and not stick it in the K3 as well'?

I assume any tech that would generate greater sales they would want to use as widely as possible.

Last edited by Poit; 04-11-2014 at 08:52 PM.
04-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
D800 in K3 body, unique feature of some kind (probably VF related) at a somewhat better price.
04-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #12
Banned

Original Poster
Features vs price was my other thought, but they would have to be very careful not to destroy their flagship APS-C (K3) sales with that approach.
04-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

In-camera raw video and interchangeable sensors are some things that would be different. a focal reducer for medium format lol tenses would be nice, too.
04-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Oh gosh I hope they stay away from stuff like that.
I'm growing to like flippy screens. They are very handy on a tripod sometimes, for example. And as the Olymus OM-D series shows, flippy screens can be compatible with WR.

It looks like Pentax agrees, since the new 645D seems to have a flippy screen. So it would not be a wild departure for a Pentax FF to have one too.
04-11-2014, 09:43 PM - 6 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It may come with interchangeable Canon and Nikon nameplates so you can be one of the herd
It may shoot in 3D, if you wear special glasses
Drone is optional
It may shoot in 3D with one lens because of the twin sensors
You can send text messages with it
Solar panels to charge the battery
It may look like a smart phone with a k-mount
It may have a round sensor to not waste the corners
It may be only available in infrared
It may be only shoot sepia photos
Maybe it will instantly print photos
Compatible with DirectTV
Because of the moveable sensor the registration distance will change depending on the mount you want to use