Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
How about an OVF with some sort of projection of a histogram or other shooting info like a Heads Up Display (HUD)? I love OVFs but I understand that they are lacking in on screen display like EVFs.
If they incorporated an interchangeable viewfinder, the options could be straight OVF or hybrid (overlay) or even EVF, as you choose. Taking up the options from the LX, the notion of good eye relief (invaluable for those of us who wear spectacles) could be extended to allow the user to view a direct optical display alongside all the variables, histograms etc, without having to peer to the side or look at the other LCD displays. A detachable LCD display could be a better option than an articulated one, whether wired or wireless, which could be dispensed with altogether with a comprehensive, wide-field viewfinder.

If they went for a square format body (like the Rollei SL2000) then the left-handers could be easily accommodated, and the interchangeable viewfinders could be as large as you like. In fact, the more I think about this format, the more I like it, and it's retro without being the same as the rest of the herd, as well as functional.

04-11-2014, 10:39 PM - 10 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
A dslr for left handers? Would corner 10% of the market in one day.

Square sensor?
Might get more than 10% of the market for those Paparazzi who want twin shooters.
One in each hand like "I'll shoot the high shot and you shoot the low shot"...lol

---------- Post added 12th Apr 2014 at 03:46 PM ----------

Maybe Pentax should consider left handed in this manner.

04-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Being "different" is perhaps mostly marketing words, so I would not expect that much out of these words.
Putting too much expectation on what they can do "differently" will most likely lead to major dissapointment.

Pentax DSLR are already different from other brands, so I would not expect much change from what it is now.
04-11-2014, 11:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Small body FF sensor SR of course. In body big(aps-c and bigger) sensor stabilization dose nobody except Pentax and Sony. But Sony’s lacks lenses.

04-11-2014, 11:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

After Sony made all of these recent changes, I figured Pentax' ability to be different would be limited now. So they'll still be different, but I don't expect too much.

I won't be surprised if it shares many similarities with what the new 645Z comes up with.

---------- Post added 04-11-14 at 11:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Because of the moveable sensor the registration distance will change depending on the mount you want to use
This last idea almost sounds real! (probably too fragile or complex, though - plus it doesn't help sell more new Pentax lenses).
04-12-2014, 01:12 AM   #21

Using goddamn pentax lenses, I am the only one that use this brand for its optics qualities, not only the body?
04-12-2014, 01:50 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Given what Sony are doing with FF mirrorless, and Olympus are doing with sensor stabilisation there's not a lot Pentax can bring to the party that's going to be ground breaking now unfortunately.

04-12-2014, 02:32 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Given what Sony are doing with FF mirrorless, and Olympus are doing with sensor stabilisation there's not a lot Pentax can bring to the party that's going to be ground breaking now unfortunately.
Not so, as the posts above, and in other threads indicate. However, whether or not they'd find a market is the real question. Sony may be creating markets, but they haven't been creating value for their shareholders, at least not in terms of tangible returns through profits.
04-12-2014, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mazhe Quote
Using goddamn pentax lenses, I am the only one that use this brand for its optics qualities, not only the body?
No you are not the only one. The main reason I want a full frame is so that I can use, for example, the FA43Ltd at 43mm. At the moment I have to use it at 65mm and I find it a rather odd focal length so it lies underutilised.

I don't want Pentax to do anything particularly different. A full frame sensor in a K3 ish sized body with crop mode please and I'd be a happy bunny for years to come.
04-12-2014, 05:21 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Not a bad idea. Could be doable.

But what about left-EYED shooters? I'm not left-handed, but do shoot left-eyed.

For left-eye shooters, your design retains the same problem as current Pentax bodies - the placement of the viewfinder. Ideally a left-eye shooter's DSLR would have the viewfinder towards the top right of the body.
04-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #26

Revolutionary not evolutionary auto focus. You can have the sharpest lens and sensor combination on the planet, but if the af system misses 30% of the time you are still pitching 30% of your shots even if those in focus are noticeably better. I have no idea what the most accurate body\lens\af combo in the industry is, but RI should set a goal of 100% af accuracy with all current K mount lenses. If 100% accuracy is science fiction, then shoot for what ever mark decisively and unequivocally eclipses the competition.
04-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #27
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
What could be 'different' about Pentax FF
It comes with an inbuilt "pixie dust" reservoir, to top up our lenses when they are mounted on the camera body and all done automatically of course.
04-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Might get more than 10% of the market for those Paparazzi who want twin shooters.
One in each hand like "I'll shoot the high shot and you shoot the low shot"...lol

---------- Post added 12th Apr 2014 at 03:46 PM ----------

ooh ya

04-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #29
Banned

Original Poster
Hmm...it doesn't sound like anyone else has a particularly credible theory either!

Nikon's D610 sits squarely in the 'K-3 with a full-frame sensor' bracket, at a similar price point to what we would expect that to have. Adding a few extra frills, that the D610 doesn't have, is hardly going to 'boldly challenge the world of FF'.

Does anyone really think, given the feature set of the K-3, that Pentax is about to introduce the most cutting edge revolutionary AF system, or some other game-changing tech?

Either it's just marketing speak to garner some attention, as someone else suggested, or they have in mind some significant departure from the norm which has not been superseded by any of the releases in the previous 12-18 months (eg Sony's FF range, Nikon & Canon's D600/6D, Nikon's retro Df etc etc). It would have to be so off-the-wall different that no-one else is likely to beat them to it, or they risk embarrassing themselves after 2 years of telling everyone how 'different' it will be.

Maybe it's 'different' in that it will never be released, and they have everyone else chasing their tales trying to produce new and different FF bodies!

Last edited by Poit; 04-12-2014 at 03:01 PM.
04-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I know:
- A CCD sensor in the 16 megapixel range with nice large photo sites. I love the look of images from my old K100DS. Not complaining about the modern bodies, but to me, CCD sensors renders look closer to film than CMOS.

- Global shutter (that comes with the sensor tech) for HD video with switchable H.264 8 bit 4:2:0 for small file size or DNxHD 10 bit 4:2:2 for high-quality post production.

- Oh yeah, and 60fps at full HD to boot, why not. Last video thing: 10 bit 4:4:4 output over HDMI, using a full size HDMI port on the body.

- No massive bells or whistles- stripped down body style harking back to classic Asahi Pentax film bodies WITH AN UNCRIPPLED k-mount, keep the ergonomic sensibility of the K7 and up design, but give it a cleaner retro look.

- If they insist on the crippled mount, a two-point lens lock on the lens mount ring to de-couple the aperture lever and not have your lens potentially fall off the body.

- Keep in-body SR, of course- but make it available in video mode instead of the crap crop-style digital SR being used since the K01 for video. Keep focus peaking in video mode.

- The requirements for video would make for a wicked fast read-out : something really innovative, a massive high-speed buffer on-board that would allow the use of less expensive SD media for video, even with the DNxHD compression at 4:2:2- and to boot this would give still shooting an almost un-fillable buffer for continuous shooting, even in RAW.