Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2014, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PENTAX on the front.

04-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Shaky aa filter. K mount. I don't think they are actually going to be all that innovative, and I'm fine with that.
04-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
'Boldly challenge the FF market' were the (translated) words from an interview in late 2013.

'It'll be a straight-ball' was the other indication. So it doesn't sound like it'll be 'too different, just for the sake of being different', or something totally left field that nobody wants or likes.

I'm just curious what could be a straight ball, but still 'boldly challenge' the status quo?
If you think about billiards, rather than baseball or tennis, the answer is obvious: you scatter the field. Add cultural overlay to metaphor to translation and confusion is the evident result.

The problem I encounter with the thought that it is technology-related is the question 'why limit it to the FF camera, and not stick it in the K3 as well'?

I assume any tech that would generate greater sales they would want to use as widely as possible.
Cost is the reason, I should imagine, so you put it in the premium product to recoup your development costs and then port it steadily down the product range as production levels rise and unit costs fall.

Hmm...it doesn't sound like anyone else has a particularly credible theory either!

Nikon's D610 sits squarely in the 'K-3 with a full-frame sensor' bracket, at a similar price point to what we would expect that to have. Adding a few extra frills, that the D610 doesn't have, is hardly going to 'boldly challenge the world of FF'.

Does anyone really think, given the feature set of the K-3, that Pentax is about to introduce the most cutting edge revolutionary AF system, or some other game-changing tech?

Either it's just marketing speak to garner some attention, as someone else suggested, or they have in mind some significant departure from the norm which has not been superseded by any of the releases in the previous 12-18 months (eg Sony's FF range, Nikon & Canon's D600/6D, Nikon's retro Df etc etc). It would have to be so off-the-wall different that no-one else is likely to beat them to it, or they risk embarrassing themselves after 2 years of telling everyone how 'different' it will be.
Revolutionary implies risk, which in turn requires betting the company (the Sony strategy) or garnering resources from good sales of less revolutionary predecessor products.
04-12-2014, 11:49 PM   #34
Banned

Original Poster
That's wonderful RobA, you have an answer or response (in isolation) to every one of my comments, but cumulatively you still haven't posited a credible answer to the main question....how would a Pentax FF be different?

04-13-2014, 12:22 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's wonderful RobA, you have an answer or response (in isolation) to every one of my comments, but cumulatively you still haven't posited a credible answer to the main question....how would a Pentax FF be different?
Well, if you don't think my suggestions are credible responses to what was a fairly open-ended question, nor those of the others who responded to it, then I'm not sure what else might be. Did anyone predict the K-3's electro-mechanical AA-filter, or the multi-area white-balance detection, or even the FLUcard remote, and if they had, would they have been regarded as credible at the time?

Now, on the matter of responding to your individual comments, did you want a conversation or a points-scoring exercise? I thought it was a conversation.
04-13-2014, 01:34 AM   #36
Banned

Original Poster
Apologies, I missed your earlier suggestions Re viewfinders.

Maybe there will be some new tech that will make it stand out in the FF market, I'm just sceptical that they've been holding some new technology for over 12 months and it didn't appear in the K-3, or the 645Z (which has just been leaked), but it will be deployed in the FF. If, as you suggest, the premium product is the place new tech should appear first, there should be an abundance in the 645Z.......
04-13-2014, 02:06 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Maybe we should start with what we know ...

It will have a new ~70-200 * lens available.
It will have some kind of kit lens (likely similar to Nikon's 24-85/3.5-4.5, I think).
It will be K-mount (still crippled).
It will utilize the FA Ltd lenses and have fast screw-drive AF, as well as good overall AF.
The sensor will be made by someone else (such as Sony).
It will be WR - possibly more-so than ever before.
It will have video capabilities.
It will utilize the new, updated 360 and 540 flashes, with all their capabilities.
It will have WiFi capability at least as good as a K-3 with a Flucard in it.
There will be no more than 2 FF bodies for a while, with a good chance of only one at first.
Most of the technology was developed a year or more ago.
It will improve upon the K-3.

Help me out here. What else do we know, and what will that imply that they do with it?

Last edited by DSims; 04-13-2014 at 02:26 AM.
04-13-2014, 03:02 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The big things I hope for are: in body stabilization, not too big, weather sealing. The draw for me would be continuing to use my lenses on a k mount camera.
04-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Apologies, I missed your earlier suggestions Re viewfinders.

Maybe there will be some new tech that will make it stand out in the FF market, I'm just sceptical that they've been holding some new technology for over 12 months and it didn't appear in the K-3, or the 645Z (which has just been leaked), but it will be deployed in the FF. If, as you suggest, the premium product is the place new tech should appear first, there should be an abundance in the 645Z.......
I did wonder…

Anyway, I think that the 645Z has quite enough going on with the new sensor, tilt LCD and the movie mode to risk adding more radical features at this stage, especially as they've apparently also driven the price down substantially. Nonetheless, it makes sense to perhaps launch another 645 variant at a higher price point with some new technologies. Using sensor shift to increase the effective resolution (as Hasselblad has done) would be an easy one, but it would need to be attractive to users at that end of the market. In that regard the viewfinder options perhaps make more sense there than on a 35FF body.
04-13-2014, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Extrapolate everything you can from an LX (keeping of course AE-L).
04-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Not a bad idea. Could be doable.

But what about left-EYED shooters? I'm not left-handed, but do shoot left-eyed.

For left-eye shooters, your design retains the same problem as current Pentax bodies - the placement of the viewfinder. Ideally a left-eye shooter's DSLR would have the viewfinder towards the top right of the body.
I also shoot left eyed, and find it spot on the way it is because the the extent of body to the right shuts out light to my right eye nicely and gives me a clear monocular view.
04-14-2014, 05:32 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Features vs price was my other thought, but they would have to be very careful not to destroy their flagship APS-C (K3) sales with that approach.
Any time a company starts to worry about this, they are on the path to destruction.

It's far better to destroy the sales of your existing product with your new product, rather than waiting for your competitors to do it with their new product.
04-14-2014, 05:56 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Extrapolate everything you can from an LX (keeping of course AE-L).
+1. The things I really love about the LX are its compactness, its build quality, its robustness and its interchangeable viewfinder options. I'm not enamoured of its noisy shutter release, though. In spite of that, it's not just a camera: it's a system with its multiple viewfinders, two different winders/drives, various viewfinder screens, data and high-capacity backs etc all of which make it versatile.

Building a DSLR system as versatile as the LX requires more thought, but a grip that added data backup, wireless flash control, GPS and extra connectivity might be a start. Swapping OVFs for EVFs at will would be another system element.
04-14-2014, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

Are there ANY indications that the FF Pentax is actually really comming this time then?
04-14-2014, 06:28 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
+1. The things I really love about the LX are its compactness, its build quality, its robustness and its interchangeable viewfinder options. I'm not enamoured of its noisy shutter release, though. In spite of that, it's not just a camera: it's a system with its multiple viewfinders, two different winders/drives, various viewfinder screens, data and high-capacity backs etc all of which make it versatile.

Building a DSLR system as versatile as the LX requires more thought, but a grip that added data backup, wireless flash control, GPS and extra connectivity might be a start. Swapping OVFs for EVFs at will would be another system element.
Add (from a 'Like' Comment I received >>

Off-the-sensor metering.