Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 147 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2014, 06:32 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Are there ANY indications that the FF Pentax is actually really comming this time then?
This regular Poster has seemed fairly accurate and informed. His take is 'All Sizes' will be available by Year-End 2014.

[EDITED:] You'll need to do a 'Find Posts by User' Search to read all the posts - there are only about 30.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-14-2014 at 09:32 AM.
04-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
His take is 'All Sizes' will be available by Year-End 2014.
The experience of seeing the 645Z re-using lots of K-3 parts makes me think Ricoh will probably be adopting the same approach with a Pentax FF. I even recall someone saying long ago that the K-3 body was designed with FF in mind from the start, so there may not be much that is radically 'different' on the surface.

Seems to me the basic engineering is all done for a Pentax FF body, now all that remains is lots of testing and tweaking in the lab and out in the field, and the rapid evolution of some new lenses (eg a 24-70 and a 70-200), and the re-vamped 'red ring' design of some older primes like the FA trinity, FA 50, FA 35 etc.
04-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Seems to me the basic engineering is all done for a Pentax FF body, now all that remains is lots of testing and tweaking
and the business case for making and selling it. Given the relative importance of the home market to Pentax, the release of a FF camera might very well hinge on the successful emergence of the Japanese economy from its last 15 years of deflation. Japan's recent economic malaise and Pentax's period of economic stagnation / failure just might be more than merely coincidental.
04-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This regular Poster has seemed fairly accurate and informd. His take is 'All Sizes' will be available by Year-End 2014.

Read all the post - there are only about 30.
Your link isn't working...

04-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Worked for me?
04-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Your link isn't working...
Edited - I think the Search Timed-Out or expired. you'll need to do your own search on the User's Posts.
04-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Ah. Good ol' asahi man Yes I pay attention to what he says!

04-15-2014, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #53
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
+1. The things I really love about the LX are its compactness, its build quality, its robustness and its interchangeable viewfinder options. I'm not enamoured of its noisy shutter release, though. In spite of that, it's not just a camera: it's a system with its multiple viewfinders, two different winders/drives, various viewfinder screens, data and high-capacity backs etc all of which make it versatile.

Building a DSLR system as versatile as the LX requires more thought, but a grip that added data backup, wireless flash control, GPS and extra connectivity might be a start. Swapping OVFs for EVFs at will would be another system element.
An extremely versatile system with interchangeable elements would certainly be different, novel, and most likely very attractive to many (myself included). That's the sort of 'different' I had in mind (but couldn't come up with for myself). Of course whether it eventuates is another question, but certainly food for thought.

In terms of 'boldly challenging the FF market', I think the price-point of the 645Z has already done that! Well done to Pentax.
04-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #54

The only feature that would really sway me towards FF is high ISO performance and Pentax's FF camera better have a significant improvement over their APS-C offerings, and at least comparable performance compared to the D610, D800, and 5dMk3. I was disappointed in the high ISO quality when I upgraded to the K-3 from my K-5.
04-15-2014, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #55
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by nateolsen Quote
I would be completely content with a professional grade, small, quality crop sensor DSLR with some amazing glass.
Well, that's why the K-3 is here! But if you want less noise, FF is always going to deliver that.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #56
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by nateolsen Quote
Do you think there will always be continued support of the crop sensor linup come full frame? I am wishy-washy about buying glass because I may want to upgrade to FF in the future. Do you think Pentax will continue to produce professional crop sensored cameras? Just a thought...
They've invested a lot in cropped K-mount lenses, and in a recent interview they stated that support for the APS-C lineup would continue.

After a little gap rumors have it that Nikon will be releasing a pro APS-C body (above the D7100/K-3), so the industry certainly isn't considering abandoning that segment either.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-16-2014, 04:45 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Haha... crop censored... is that a pun?
04-16-2014, 06:36 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
After a little gap rumors have it that Nikon will be releasing a pro APS-C body (above the D7100/K-3), so the industry certainly isn't considering abandoning that segment either.
Interesting!
04-16-2014, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SR (IBIS) in FF. Different enough right there.

How about a hybrid (or better yet interchangeable) viewfinder? Switch between TTL, electronic, super-bright and super-precise focusing screens, etc.

Really just being K-mount is different enough for many to buy it.

Another "different" approach would be to spearhead a new sensor technology with a partner, but I doubt that's the case.
04-16-2014, 07:10 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Really just being K-mount is different enough for many to buy it.
Would work for me I guess ;-) If I have the cash to buy a second body, I definitely want to make use of those sweet K-mount lenses of mine...