Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 147 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IBIS and interchangeable viewfinders are something I'd go for without hesitation.

04-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
After a little gap rumors have it that Nikon will be releasing a pro APS-C body (above the D7100/K-3), so the industry certainly isn't considering abandoning that segment either.
Do you think they'll have 4 APS-C bodies, or are they going to replace the D7100 with this new pro body?
05-09-2014, 01:58 PM - 2 Likes   #63
Banned

Original Poster
The more I think about it, the more the idea of a fully interchangeable camera system strikes me as being a (potentially) industry shaking idea.

Engineering challenges aside, imagine a system with which you could change sensors at will. 12MP full-frame for your high-ISO low light scenario, 36MP where detail is important, or even a crop sensor if your lens of choice for a particular situation is DA. You could carry multiple sensors, just like lenses.

No more updating your whole camera body when new sensor tech arrives, just buy the latest Pentax sensor accessory to pop into your system.

The same could apply to all sorts of elements in the system. Viewfinders being the one that has already been identified and discussed extensively here.

I'm not saying I think Pentax is going to do this (certainly not to the extent I have suggested above), as I'm sure the engineering challenges and cost of development are prohibitive, if not impossible. BUT, the idea would certainly take the industry by storm if it could be done, and Pentax would be well and truly back on the radar...
05-09-2014, 02:12 PM   #64
Veteran Member

There's no technical advantage of a 16MP aps-c sensor over a 36 MP FF sensor, cropped in-body. You could even theoretically design the the sensor-read-system so that the frame rate is the same. In (laughable) theory you could design interchangeable shutters or have shutter movement only cover a smaller portion of the sensor.

There's no technical advantage of a 12MP FF sensor over a 36MP FF sensor other than frame rate. You could, for example, in hardware 'group' four pixels sites, for instance, improving the frame rate.

If I was president of Ricoh I would never greenlight a research program on an interchangeable sensor. I'd think a 36MP sensor would be a much better solution.

Now interchangeable viewfinders - I could greenlight those. Some EVF's, some OVF's, both attached to the same 'hotshoe'...

05-10-2014, 05:43 AM   #65
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
How about 4k video capabilities and and the ability to focus while videoing?
05-10-2014, 06:10 PM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
There's no technical advantage of a 16MP aps-c sensor over a 36 MP FF sensor, cropped in-body. You could even theoretically design the the sensor-read-system so that the frame rate is the same. In (laughable) theory you could design interchangeable shutters or have shutter movement only cover a smaller portion of the sensor.

There's no technical advantage of a 12MP FF sensor over a 36MP FF sensor other than frame rate. You could, for example, in hardware 'group' four pixels sites, for instance, improving the frame rate.

If I was president of Ricoh I would never greenlight a research program on an interchangeable sensor. I'd think a 36MP sensor would be a much better solution.

Now interchangeable viewfinders - I could greenlight those. Some EVF's, some OVF's, both attached to the same 'hotshoe'...
Interchangeable optical or electronic view finder would be interesting, but definitely NOT in the hotshoe. That is where the flash or flash trigger goes.
05-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #67
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nateolsen Quote
Does one really need FF with the incredible performance of the Pentax sensors? Full frame would be okay, but I hope it wouldn't effect the crop censored [sic] lineup.
Well, Sony sensors, Nate. Pentax don't make 'em.

And if you look at what Sony do themselves, the A7 FF crops down to use their APS-C E mount lenses.

05-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NotaxPen Quote
Interchangeable optical or electronic view finder would be interesting, but definitely NOT in the hotshoe. That is where the flash or flash trigger goes.
'hotshoe', not hotshoe.
05-13-2014, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #69
Veteran Member

Just to re-enter a few of my current preoccupations:

- a flippy screen (like the 645z and Sony A7 series FF's);
- an OPTICAL viewfinder with an advanced LCD overlay to show level indicator, rule of thirds, grid overlay, histogram, metering points, DX/FX mode field of view etc;
- simple switch to DX mode shooting, like Nikon D600/800;
- return to the K-7/K-5/645 series metering mode direct dial/switch design for AE metering (as opposed to the K-3 soft-buttons).
05-13-2014, 07:36 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really - it is all in the viewfinder(s). The viewfinder is a present groundbreaking opportunity. Almost everything else is an evolution.

Imagine an LX-style body with various electronic and optical viewfinders. Imagine if the mount carried over when there was a body / model change. When you buy a camera the kit includes an FA-1 OVF with flash hotshoe - but you can opt for a body-only SKU and add optional VF's to suit you needs.

It shouldn't be any more difficult to seal than the battery door and the electrical connections shouldn't be any more complex than a tiny HDMI-style pinout.

And then there is this:
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Better will be the Pentax Patent with optical finder and a digital overlay finder to have both in one optical system
Nikon has a similar older patent.
Best regards

Last edited by monochrome; 05-13-2014 at 10:31 AM.
05-13-2014, 07:39 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh

Branding the K-mount FF camera RICOH would make it different.
05-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #72

to be released
05-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #73
Forum Member

I'd put a 3.6" 3:2 OLED screen on the back. I don't think any FF has an OLED screen yet.
Hopefully the Pentax FF is closer to K-20D size than K-3 as I think making an FF K-3 sized would involve too many compromises, like almost certainly loosing SR.
05-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #74
Pentaxian

I don't believe anyone is doing in camera stabilisation on full frame? That seems the most likely Pentax single point of difference.

Pentax users often make Full Frame out to be like it's a huge thing, but whilst full frame is new to Pentax, it's been done before for years with other brands. In a lot of ways there's not a lot that's different about it, other than the sensor size.

Many of the suggestions being made relate to new Pentax opportunities regardless of the sensor size.
Large rear screens, touchscreen, flippy viewfinders etc are all just development choices Pentax could make, on their current APS-C, Medium Format or future Full Frame sensor bodies.
05-13-2014, 11:19 PM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
I don't believe anyone is doing in camera stabilisation on full frame? That seems the most likely Pentax single point of difference.

The Sony a99 comes to mind: "Image Stabilization : SteadyShot INSIDE™ in-body image stabilization. Compensation effect: Equivalent to approx. 2.5 to 4.5 steps in shutter speeds *Varies according to shooting conditions and lens used. Type: For still images: Image Sensor-Shift mechanism"

Best regards