Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #361
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ahem. Ahem. I don't want to be the spoiler. But this thread was about:

What could be 'different' about Pentax FF?

09-17-2014, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #362

Not much at this point. Again, most of the niches have been filled, and Pentax's FF lens lineup mostly consists of leftovers from the early 90s.

FF SR sensor would be innovative. Astro tracker is innovative. An APS-C camera with a built in Speed Booster would also be an innovative product in the FF market. A fully modular Ricoh GX-R style full frame camera would be innovative. Open source scripting language ala CHDK or SONY Nex apps?

Everything else has been filled by someone else already, or someone else is already working on prototype products for that niche (eg variable-register-distance cameras are being worked on by Sony). Native compatibility with M42 and Pentax-mount lenses is about the only other major advantage Pentax holds, and it's severely degraded because they don't meter non-electrical lenses and Pentax hasn't done significant improvements in its FF lens lineup for 20 years.

Why, what do you think could be innovative? LEDs on the front? Neon-colored bodies?
09-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #363

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
An APS-C camera with a built in Speed Booster would also be an innovative product in the FF market.
There it is. That would be innovative. Mirrorless APSC that utilizes its too large focal distance for a built in speed booster.
09-17-2014, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #364

QuoteOriginally posted by easyreeder Quote
There it is. That would be innovative. Mirrorless APSC that utilizes its too large focal distance for a built in speed booster.
Yeah, you could make an interesting poke at the Df like that with a "camera for legacy lenses" concept. DSLR styling with an EVF, squeeze in an AF motor, add the mechanical metering arm for K/M to mirror the Df's capability for pre-AI, speed booster. You can use whatever lenses at your native fov and get a bit more effective speed and resolution out of them through the speed booster. "Shoot your old lenses better."

Dunno if you could make a SR sensor work like that, vignetting might be an issue.

Alternately a 645 body that telecompresses down to a full frame sensor.

09-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #365

Alternately a 645 body that telecompresses down to a full frame sensor.
Yes, as soon as I rattled off my post I realized that this was another option.
09-17-2014, 09:57 PM   #366
Veteran Member

Not much at this point. Again, most of the niches have been filled, and Pentax's FF lens lineup mostly consists of leftovers from the early 90s.

FF SR sensor would be innovative. Astro tracker is innovative. An APS-C camera with a built in Speed Booster would also be an innovative product in the FF market. A fully modular Ricoh GX-R style full frame camera would be innovative. Open source scripting language ala CHDK or SONY Nex apps?

Everything else has been filled by someone else already, or someone else is already working on prototype products for that niche (eg variable-register-distance cameras are being worked on by Sony). Native compatibility with M42 and Pentax-mount lenses is about the only other major advantage Pentax holds, and it's severely degraded because they don't meter non-electrical lenses and Pentax hasn't done significant improvements in its FF lens lineup for 20 years.

Why, what do you think could be innovative? LEDs on the front? Neon-colored bodies?
As i formerly wrote in this thread: I do not think the LED's are a bad idea. Neon coloured bodies? Why not? But i would not feel in need for that, when thinking about a full frame camera.

Again:
I like the idea that that the camera indicates video mode or photo mode with the LED ring around the main button(shutter release) and i like the new mode dial(on the KS-1) next to the display.(Yes it is a shame that it is missing a second wheel on the front for quickly manipulating shutter time and overall the wheel is a bad idea on the back)
And the rest... Just imagine all of the K-3's technical features with a full frame sensor... Isn't that enough? I think it is. Some would also wish for a Crop Mode. when he wants to use a recent DA-Zoom lens. or some of those wide angle lenses. The AA (anti-aliasing) filter simulator ...mhmmmm :-D
I would also like to see a user removable ir-filter like many people who have a look at astrophotography...
And one more axis for shake reduction.(Which could also be used for a slight tilt effect. and some kind of slight 3D bracketing...don't beat me for that one, i am no scientist.>just 'n idea)
So, let's go on. Weather Resistancy(no question), Bumpers that protect the camera when it falls down onto the ground. And hey,... why not make it really water resistant?
Just like the Nikon AW 1... But this time down to 30metres please. Just go to a photo store and take a look at the AW 1... and then think about an elevated mount with 2 o-rings around it...like the one on the AW 1.
4K Video Mode...
A new mirror technology alike Kent Optronics - Switchable Mirror / Switchable Glass but so that the mirror could also be used the traditional way...
Lightpainting mode, where you take a sample shot of the light source u will use to "paint" and than you give it the time u will need to do the whole action and the camera computes shutter time, aperture and if needed, what ND Filter you would need to use.
Lenses with filter mounts for smart glass. How dense exactly would you like your ND filter. Custom graduated filters...
Built in WLAN...
NFC... and not only for connecting to your mobile device.. just imagine. NFC-Tags that invoke custom defined user modes.
Custom noise patterns(according to the situation/location the camera is in. That would concern electromagnetic radiation, lighting amount and kind of light) for in cam noise reduction.
Focus Level Bracketing.!!!!
And think what you want about me, i still think that intelligent autozoom(and power zoom) is still a huge idea, and now it would be just the right time for it, since SDM technology is mature now. (would make some people smile, when you think about what happened with AF.... Pentax was also first.. and now.. Powerzoom. -> Nikon recently did another attempt with some Nikon 1 lens... "1 NIKKOR VR 10–100 mm 1:4,5–5,6 PD-ZOOM")
Built in variable Flash with a guide number around 20, that sports HSS and strobing.
Firmware that allows tagging photos with predefined keywords, when reviewing photos.
built in ftp and stock service upload function.

Maybe i could write a little more... But i will stop it now, because i gotta go to Photokina now.

That is what could be different. I think so. ;-)

Yeah, maybe i really lost it here at some points. But all that is better than beefing around.
And no, the K-3 is definitely a better APS-C camera than any samsung mirror less.(when it comes to make photos, not playing around with software features)
I would go so far to say, that it is the best bang for the buck in the APS-C DSLR market. And I don't really feel in need to explain here why it is.
09-18-2014, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #367
Veteran Member

Ok. Let's see. 205 phase detect AF sensors covering 90% of the frame? Can't compete with that. 28 MP with the latest generation of sensor tech? Can't compete. 15 fps while focusing between the shots? Can't compete. 4K video with h265 at 80 Mbps (which should equal h264 at 160 Mbps) reading out the full sensor without cropping the frame? Pentax offers 2K video with h264 (a poor implementation at that) at 24 Mbps, and it doesn't even read the whole sensor, leading to aliasing and moire. It also seems to have physical buttons for the important stuff, and 3 dials for settings. Magnesium body and weather resistant, and besides it is lighter and smaller by a long margin. With better screens and a larger viewfinder. The Samsung takes Pentax lenses, as well as Canon, Nikon, Minolta, ... again an advantage over the K-3.

Now tell me, where exactly does Pentax compete? Name? It does have better battery life, but that and an optical viewfinder is the only advantage I see to the K-3, as shake reduction only works during stills. At least on the Samsung it is built into the lens and thus works during video too.

Last edited by kadajawi; 09-18-2014 at 06:42 AM.
09-18-2014, 06:54 AM   #368

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Ok. Let's see. 205 phase detect AF sensors covering 90% of the frame? Can't compete with that. 28 MP with the latest generation of sensor tech? Can't compete. 15 fps while focusing between the shots? Can't compete. 4K video with h265 at 80 Mbps (which should equal h264 at 160 Mbps) reading out the full sensor without cropping the frame? Pentax offers 2K video with h264 (a poor implementation at that) at 24 Mbps, and it doesn't even read the whole sensor, leading to aliasing and moire. It also seems to have physical buttons for the important stuff, and 3 dials for settings. Magnesium body and weather resistant, and besides it is lighter and smaller by a long margin. With better screens and a larger viewfinder. The Samsung takes Pentax lenses, as well as Canon, Nikon, Minolta, ... again an advantage over the K-3.

Now tell me, where exactly does Pentax compete? Name? It does have better battery life, but that and an optical viewfinder is the only advantage I see to the K-3, as shake reduction only works during stills. At least on the Samsung it is built into the lens and thus works during video too.
Dude, you're talking me into this camera.
09-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #369
Veteran Member

Nikonos V underwater camera
Viewfinder, so an ILC

While hunting this, I learned there was an AF & SLR version, Nikonos RS built in 1992.
The Nikonos V for 50m and the RS for 100m

Would it really be any cheaper to build a camera with speed booster built in...?
I suppose it could be done, but why. Really.
The thing would have to be grafted to the mount.. Somehow. If it could be removable, that would be a neat thing.

Anyway, is there room in there to mount a speed-thing and still have even an APS-C mirror clear it...

Last edited by Tan68; 09-18-2014 at 07:04 AM.
09-18-2014, 07:07 AM   #370

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
Would it really be any cheaper to build a camera with speed booster built in...?
It wouldn't be cheaper. The reason: full ff appearance on apsc, and, if the mount is moving to ff, all FA lenses will work without a crop on the camera. I mean, just kind of interesting, there is a whole debate on the utility of speed boosters. On the space: yes, there's enough space for a speed booster. Look at the weird shape of the K01.
09-18-2014, 07:31 AM   #371
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mirrorless.
Shorter registration distance.
"K2" mount.
Launched with holy trinity of new FA2 primes - 31mm, 43mm, 77mm

Adapter for K-mount lenses, "K4ever"
Includes contacts and AF motor
uses CDAF on sensor so no need to PDAF components (remember Sony's wart?)
Sensor SR can be used to ensure precise alignment of adapter
09-18-2014, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #372
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Mirrorless.
Shorter registration distance.
"K2" mount.
Launched with holy trinity of new FA2 primes - 31mm, 43mm, 77mm

Adapter for K-mount lenses, "K4ever"
Includes contacts and AF motor
uses CDAF on sensor so no need to PDAF components (remember Sony's wart?)
Sensor SR can be used to ensure precise alignment of adapter
Keep traditional K-mount bodies for stills-optimized cameras with 'junior' video. Make this a video monster with 'junior' stills.
09-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #373
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Keep traditional K-mount bodies for stills-optimized cameras with 'junior' video. Make this a video monster with 'junior' stills.
Good idea. 2 bodies. One with mirror for traditionalist, one without (but with adapter) for others. It would be interesting to see which would sell more.
09-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #374
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Good idea. 2 bodies. One with mirror for traditionalist, one without (but with adapter) for others. It would be interesting to see which would sell more.
Shooters might just buy another single-body option that does both well.
09-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #375
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Shooters might just buy another single-body option that does both well.
That would be fine.