Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 147 Likes Search this Thread
10-06-2014, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #496
Veteran Member

Just a short reply... I'm just asking Pentax to return to the video abilities of the K-5. MJPEG, mechanical SR and the improvements the K-3 received. Is that unreasonable? It should all just be firmware improvements. And maybe take a look at what professional videographers ask for... zebra, flat picture profile etc. No need for a new processor... just make use of the hardware that is already there.

I can do things in terms of video with my K-5 I couldn't with a K-3. Why?! A mixture between a K-5 and a K-3 would be great and could sell a couple of cameras (the IBIS in the Olympus OM-D series is a big deal for some, and Pentax could have that too, with more frame rates (which really hinders the Olympus).

Last night I shot video at a concert, with a 200mm lens handheld standing in the audience, and it turned out quite fine. There's no way you could do that with another camera other than that Olympus or the K-5.

10-06-2014, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #497
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Just a short reply... I'm just asking Pentax to return to the video abilities of the K-5. MJPEG, mechanical SR and the improvements the K-3 received. Is that unreasonable? It should all just be firmware improvements. And maybe take a look at what professional videographers ask for... zebra, flat picture profile etc. No need for a new processor... just make use of the hardware that is already there.

I can do things in terms of video with my K-5 I couldn't with a K-3. Why?! A mixture between a K-5 and a K-3 would be great and could sell a couple of cameras (the IBIS in the Olympus OM-D series is a big deal for some, and Pentax could have that too, with more frame rates (which really hinders the Olympus).

Last night I shot video at a concert, with a 200mm lens handheld standing in the audience, and it turned out quite fine. There's no way you could do that with another camera other than that Olympus or the K-5.
I completely disagree. USE NEW HARDWARE! And go64mn!t use 2 CPU's for a higher framerate! But I really love the outside of the K-5II and think they should design the buttons and levers on the FF according to the philosophy of the K-5II and the 645Z!!! So handy! Changing the settings so lightning fast! I can not stop to repeat it. The design is nearly flawless. (Except the mode wheel that has to be unlocked by pressing the button on top of it. The K-3 is doing much better with the mode wheel. AND the Focus mode lever sits on the wrong side on the K-5II, it should point away from the display so your thumb does not have to glide over the AF button in the middle of it. Anyway it would be so much easier to handle it this way.)
AND AGAIN:!!! locking the pictures(to protect them from accidentally deletion) by pressing the AE-L(in review-mode) should be implemented. ON ANY FIRMWARE ON EVERY CAMERA!!!
So it would be easy as cake to declutter photo series!!!
10-06-2014, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #498
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
I completely disagree. USE NEW HARDWARE! And go64mn!t use 2 CPU's for a higher framerate! But I really love the outside of the K-5II and think they should design the buttons and levers on the FF according to the philosophy of the K-5II and the 645Z!!! So handy! Changing the settings so lightning fast! I can not stop to repeat it. The design is nearly flawless. (Except the mode wheel that has to be unlocked by pressing the button on top of it. The K-3 is doing much better with the mode wheel. AND the Focus mode lever sits on the wrong side on the K-5II, it should point away from the display so your thumb does not have to glide over the AF button in the middle of it. Anyway it would be so much easier to handle it this way.)
AND AGAIN:!!! locking the pictures(to protect them from accidentally deletion) by pressing the AE-L(in review-mode) should be implemented. ON ANY FIRMWARE ON EVERY CAMERA!!!
So it would be easy as cake to declutter photo series!!!
While I would like to see new, improved hardware, my main issues are with the firmware. Fix that... and how expensive can that be? As the K-3 successor might still take a while, why not improve the firmware? The hardware is pretty good to great, but the software is a let down, and it doesn't have to be.

As for what we can expect for the K-3 successor I think the D5300 and the D750/D810 show the way it'll go. They have really good video quality thanks to newer sensors, and apparently the Milbeaut makes it possible. Add mechanical SR and a firmware that doesn't neglect video functionality and I think Pentax would have a winner, especially with the crowds that need to shoot video without additional stabilization... I'm thinking of journalism for example. A Pentax sounds like a dream for those areas.

Using 2 processors is I don't think possible. That is a feature of the Canon chip, the Milbeaut doesn't support it. I'd like to see Pentax switch to the Samsung processor though.
10-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #499
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think Pentax said video isn't a priority for them, that's the official position... and if you don't like the video, you should probably switch systems. Getting the FF out is the issue right now.

10-06-2014, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #500
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I think Pentax said video isn't a priority for them, that's the official position... and if you don't like the video, you should probably switch systems. Getting the FF out is the issue right now.
I'm aware of that. Olympus said that too, not too long ago, they changed their position apparently after seeing how Panasonic is profiting from video. Fuji is seeing video more and more as something they need to improve, likewise Nikon, and both used to be on the not a priority bandwagon.

What I am saying is that Pentax should start to rethink their position... it doesn't have to be the main priority, though it could be quite profitable to do so, but at least doing something would be nice, and I'd argue that if they don't they'll lose sales.
10-06-2014, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #501
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm aware of that. Olympus said that too, not too long ago, they changed their position apparently after seeing how Panasonic is profiting from video. Fuji is seeing video more and more as something they need to improve, likewise Nikon, and both used to be on the not a priority bandwagon.

What I am saying is that Pentax should start to rethink their position... it doesn't have to be the main priority, though it could be quite profitable to do so, but at least doing something would be nice, and I'd argue that if they don't they'll lose sales.
What does all of this video balderdash have to do with "What could be different about a Pentax FF"?

New Law of Thread discussion Proposal -

Monochrome's Law: "As a PentaxForums discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Fuji, Sony or Canon video approaches 1"
10-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #502
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What does all of this video balderdash have to do with "What could be different about a Pentax FF"?

New Law of Thread discussion Proposal -

Monochrome's Law: "As a PentaxForums discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Fuji, Sony or Canon video approaches 1"
That a FF Pentax could have proper video functionality for once, and that having one that exceeds what Canikon offer (Canon because they don't want to, Nikon because they can't?), for example SR that also works during video, and a video optimized firmware (that can be activated optionally), could mean they have the selling point they need so that the camera sells well.

Also, why Fuji? Fuji is the one company that's even worse at video than Pentax... there are other things about Fuji that I like, but video clearly isn't.

10-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #503
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Currently Fujitsu Milbeaut generation 7 is running inside K-3
And Nikon, who work closely with Fujitsu:
QuoteQuote:
Nikon in 2009 Nikon established a subsidiary jointly owned with Fujitsu which is responsible for all firmware development in Nikon cameras. Thus, the relationship between the two companies is very close
So Pentax, like Nikon, kind of has to work alongside Fujitsu in developing the capabilties of it's cameras - in all areas, including video. When Milbeaut does 4K on chip, and other advanced stuff, so will Pentax.
10-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #504
Veteran Member

Mirrorless FF?

I assume this has already been raised, but a FF along the lines of a Leica/K-01 size would be pretty wonderful, with an optical viewfinder of course. As that might cross many markets they are already in might not be a high priority. I love the form factor and feel of the K3 but the K-01 is more convenient. Imagine all those FA Limiteds on a small mirrorless platform, quiet fast and full of good software to help us along.

I sort of like being unobtrusive.
10-06-2014, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #505
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That a FF Pentax could have proper video functionality for once, and that having one that exceeds what Canikon offer (Canon because they don't want to, Nikon because they can't?), for example SR that also works during video, and a video optimized firmware (that can be activated optionally), could mean they have the selling point they need so that the camera sells well.

Also, why Fuji? Fuji is the one company that's even worse at video than Pentax... there are other things about Fuji that I like, but video clearly isn't.
What does that have to do with FF?
10-06-2014, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #506
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
I assume this has already been raised, but a FF along the lines of a Leica/K-01 size would be pretty wonderful, with an optical viewfinder of course. As that might cross many markets they are already in might not be a high priority. I love the form factor and feel of the K3 but the K-01 is more convenient. Imagine all those FA Limiteds on a small mirrorless platform, quiet fast and full of good software to help us along.

Interesting idea, but Pentax have described the fullframes as "a straight ball." You can interpret that however you want, but to me that sounds like a traditional dSLR.
10-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #507
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote

You mean a rangefinder camera? Because that is impossible with a DSLR. I thought Pentax was more of a SLR company, it's not exactly their speciality. You sound like you want a Fuji, with a K mount.

@monochrome: That it is a camera, and thus can/should have some video functionality? Nikon has FF DSLRs, and yikes, they do take video! Of course Pentax can also release one that doesn't (or only barely), but they shouldn't be surprised if sales is very poor.
10-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #508
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
And Nikon, who work closely with Fujitsu:

So Pentax, like Nikon, kind of has to work alongside Fujitsu in developing the capabilties of it's cameras - in all areas, including video. When Milbeaut does 4K on chip, and other advanced stuff, so will Pentax.
Pentax puts parts together from others that together, with the Pentax-gravy, make great camera's.
10-06-2014, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #509
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You mean a rangefinder camera? Because that is impossible with a DSLR. I thought Pentax was more of a SLR company, it's not exactly their speciality. You sound like you want a Fuji, with a K mount.

@monochrome: That it is a camera, and thus can/should have some video functionality? Nikon has FF DSLRs, and yikes, they do take video! Of course Pentax can also release one that doesn't (or only barely), but they shouldn't be surprised if sales is very poor.
What does that have to do with what would make a Pentax FF different?
10-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #510
Banned

Original Poster
Going back to the topic of the thread, for a moment. They don't seem to be pushing the 'different' line (in reference to FF) quite as much as they were 12-18 months ago. Or have I missed a significant recent interview where it cropped up again?

I wonder has their idea of 'different' been trumped by another manufacturer's release, or have they just gone quiet to protect some great new idea they're working on behind the scenes?

It's some time since this thread was created, and my thoughts on the topic have waxed and waned in that time. I'm no longer convinced it will be very different, and if it is, it'll be something technology-based. Some thoughts canvassed to date that might be reasonable include:

- Modular (viewfinders being the most likely, sensors the outside runner) I no longer think this is very likely;
- Dual optical / electronic viewfinder (they have a patent, so entirely possible);
- Sensor shift AF (a recent patent for this too); and/or
- Some other fandango tech that that will 'wow' the industry, has been under development for 18-24 months, and is very close-hold.

Thoughts?