Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 147 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2014, 06:32 AM   #631
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My good guess, is that we are waiting not only for FF, but for more innovations... See -> Ricoh ???????????????????????????????So-net???

12-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #632
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If Pentax & Canon (I think Nikon also) where able to do modular SLR camera's, surely by now they'd be able to at least make a DSLR prototype, especially now since mirrorless cameras are up & coming.
12-09-2014, 12:36 AM   #633
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
My good guess, is that we are waiting not only for FF, but for more innovations... See -> Ricoh ???????????????????????????????So-net???
And for those of us who don't read Japanese...enlighten us...
12-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #634
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
And for those of us who don't read Japanese...enlighten us...
can't you see, can't you feel it, its all in the air, i can't stand the pressure much longer, somebody say a prayer, Ricoh has got me so upset, Pentax made me loose my breath, i want my FF ASAHI goddamn. ("freely after NINA SIMONE")

So after singing my song, here is the enlightenment:
It is a new mirror technology. As much as i can take from the pictures... (My japanese doesn't go much further then "moshi, moshi?") it is some revamp of the Sony semi-translucent technology. But it is a mirror that can change from opaque to translucent. X > 0%, 50%, 100% opaque. (Or the other way around translucent if you wish so.)
So all dreams could come true. The speed and tech of ILC + an optional EVF ... The classical OVF method. And the Sony A99 method.
The whole whammy peeps. YeehaW! Hoss, settle the horses!!
To be honest, i somehow don't really believe up to 100% that we will see this technology in the upcoming FF, but it could be, and man, that wouldn't hold me back from buying the first one.
More years of crying and hoping for the new LX-D. But if you see it the other way around. Exactly this patent could be the reason, why we had to wait so long for the PENTAX BANG!
Root for it and keep your fingers crossed. May all those disbelievers creep in the sand underneath the new pro grade PENTAX FF DSLR.

12-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #635
Veteran Member

Hm. That sounds like great tech, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut: It seems to me like it's just another stop gap on the way to EVF. Like Sony with their DSLTs. But aren't we beyond that point now? Do we really need a hybrid camera, or isn't it time to go mirrorless? There was a time where mirrorless wasn't good enough. And while that may still be the case, it is quickly vanishing. A few more years until there's no advantage to shooting with a mirror anymore. And then? Where would this leave Pentax? Pentax could put a few more years into their K mount lenses, but in the meantime other brands will expand their mirrorless lens line up. Eventually Pentax might want to switch fully mirrorless too, with all the advantages it brings, but by then other brands have a huge head start.

There's a reason why Sony has abandoned DSLTs.
12-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #636
Veteran Member

hm? sony has abandoned what? AFAIK, they are still selling lenses, and so on. The fact that at the moment there is no DSLR in the product line-up, doesn't mean that we will not be able to see a A99 successor in 2015. Rumors about it are still hot. But, who cares, i like the OVF, and i like the EVF too. professional photographers still swear on the OVF even if many of them have an APS-C ILC as a backup. Robert Evans(Wedding photographer of whom is said, that he shot at Brad Pits wedding for example) still carries around the A99V with an NEX-6 as backup. Lets ask him, if he would like to dump his photographical experience and knowledge about classical photography for having tech-fun.
12-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #637
Veteran Member

hm? sony has abandoned what? AFAIK, they are still selling lenses, and so on. The fact that at the moment there is no DSLR in the product line-up, doesn't mean that we will not be able to see a A99 successor in 2015. Rumors about it are still hot. But, who cares, i like the OVF, and i like the EVF too. professional photographers still swear on the OVF even if many of them have an APS-C ILC as a backup. Robert Evans(Wedding photographer of whom is said, that he shot at Brad Pits wedding for example) still carries around the A99V with an NEX-6 as backup. Lets ask him, if he would like to dump his photographical experience and knowledge about classical photography for having tech-fun.
There are hardly any new DSLT cameras coming out.

I just think we will reach a point where an EVF no longer means you have to give up something vs an optical mirror. It will be bigger, sharper, better in low light (if the sensor is capable of it), not have significant enough lag and the battery life will be decent enough (though if you're off the grid for months...). So any product planning now should take that into consideration, to put the camera maker in a good position for when that time comes.

Btw., the Pentax charger should come with a USB power input next to the regular power socket input. Likewise it'd be nice if you can use USB to power the camera and to charge the battery in camera (even while using it). External power banks with plenty of juice are becoming rather common, being able to charge a battery in a camera while using it is neat, especially while shooting long exposures at night, like star trails.

12-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #638
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMO, the patent about that translucent mirror will be used with a EVF, not OVF. Because the ray trance didn't show the light going upward, but to the upper left corner, where is a device linked to the lens, probably the AF controller. Same thing is said in the description. So, the mirror transmit a part of the light to the AF system, and the rest to the sensor, when the mirror is on 50-50%. And the sensor can transmit the image to the EVF. Of course, this is just my assumption, and I can be wrong. But if I'm right, that seems that this mirror can aloud continue AF tracking in video, because the pixels in the sensor can be interpolated to create an image even with only 50% of the light.
12-10-2014, 02:28 AM   #639
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
IMO, the patent about that translucent mirror will be used with a EVF, not OVF. Because the ray trance didn't show the light going upward, but to the upper left corner, where is a device linked to the lens, probably the AF controller. Same thing is said in the description. So, the mirror transmit a part of the light to the AF system, and the rest to the sensor, when the mirror is on 50-50%. And the sensor can transmit the image to the EVF. Of course, this is just my assumption, and I can be wrong. But if I'm right, that seems that this mirror can aloud continue AF tracking in video, because the pixels in the sensor can be interpolated to create an image even with only 50% of the light.

Wouldn't on-sensor-PDAF be able to do exactly that but easier? I think maybe current technology has surpassed the workaround described in the patent.
12-10-2014, 03:11 AM   #640
Pentaxian

Now that Sony have a 5-axis stabilised FF sensor in the a7 II maybe Pentax really have the opportunity (given Sony sell the component) to build a FF DSLR that is small, rugged, weather resistant, K-mount AND has in-body stabilisation.

I would definitely buy a FF K3, and suspect many on this forum would share my enthusiasm.

Pentax can only sensibly enter the FF market with something that exceeds the competition in some way. In body stabilisation is the USP in the APS-C DSLR market, and it would also be in the FF DSLR market. Plus that very large back catalogue of K-mount lenses that Sony has no hope of competing against...

Here's hoping!
05-03-2015, 01:25 PM   #641
Veteran Member

FTF : I don't see that we need more than 32 Megapixel. - i would really love to see a 24.5 MP Sensor that is capable of 3 things (read carefully):

Decent results at ISO 12800 like on K-30, K-5, K-5II
Endless RAW shooting
at least 10 fps when shooting RAW

And chances to see these very useful features, are going to NULL if we would have a 36MP sensor in the camera. My opinion stays: 24.5 MP and all those 3 features should be available in the upcoming FF body.

but lets get back to the text. this thread was about what could be different. so we wanted some new ideas. Here we go:

" L I V E D I R E C T I O N A L A F A D J U S T M E N T " ! (in your face)
Example:
You mount the DFA 100mm on your K-4, K-8, or whatever it will be called. You try to focus on ... lets say a green frog or toad sitting on your lawn. You lay down on the lawn and set your camera so it won't move forwards or backwards "itself" when you shoot. You halfway press the Shutter-Release button. The Focus is near but it misses(it hits some grass in front of the frog). Now you could try to finger around a bit with the quickshift OR...?
Yes! Or you hold that AF button and fine tune the Focus with the frontside wheel(the wheel on the grip) Move it to the right and focus layer moves towards you, or dial to the left to move the focus layer further away from you a bit.
-- so back on the lawn:
The focus hits some grass in front of the frog. You hold the AF-Button and push the dial wheel on the grip a bit to the left and voila, the focus is where it belongs. You still hold the AF-Button to prevent the DSLR from refocussing, press the shutter button and "CLICK" You catched "Mr. Green" without any hassle.
The Idea of the operablity itself in this suggestion could also be used if RICOH has balls like "Wow!" and would reimplement the powerzoom( this time with SILENT motors yall know what i mean.)

And talking about focusing. I like the features Magic Lantern offers for enhancing Focus methods on Canon Bodies. (The "Follow Focus" on ML for instance lets you set several focus points that you can recall later when shooting AFAIK.)

On the K-?, one could set such focus points for instance by a quick double-click or better "double-press" of the AF button. For recalling those focus points you could have a double occupancy of the "EV Compensation button" and the "ISO button" as a "RWD Focus"(back one preset focus point) and "FWD Focus"(forward one preset focus point) buttons.
And yes, we all know, a professional will always focus manually...yadayada... but another one:
One should be able to set focus speed, that would be pretty cool especially if it comes to amateur video shootings. (Imagine you want to do a semi-professional video report of some event for youtube.)
Why should you buy follow focus constructions that integrate into some rig, than you have to buy another technical trickery... that costs you more and more and more... , when you have features like i mentioned them above and a pretty silent DC or SDM lens?

And still i would like to be able to lock my pictures with the AE-L Button when reviewing them.
(For gods sake...?? why do i have to press around like wild for locking my pix? and no.. we dont need an extra button for that. Pentax has to map that function to the "AE-L button" and we only have to RTFM)

And oh my god... again: I would really love to get a really silent "In-Body AF screw drive mechanism" it is possible, i know that. Other producers really have much more silent screw drive AFs. That is one thing that a professional body would need for sure: SILENCE. Because there are still enough "screw drivers" out there and not everybody who sold his house for the Pentax FF-Body, will still have enough money to buy lenses like the HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW. So we will see many screwdrivers when the FF hits the market. And it should be possible to get that done till october.
sry for my bad english. I am no native speaker...

MORE: For some reason i think, that it would be good if the FF would have a CF-CARD SLOT also.
CFs are more durable and rugged than SDs, they more feel like a "format" than the SDs which flip around like chips from a childrens roulette game.
And whoever shot a lot of photos and shortly afterwards popped out his SD card of the DSLR will have realized that those little thingies get really warm if not to say hot sometimes. And i am not sure if this is a good thing to have...(a little heatsource in your camera.. OK even CF may get warm. but i think they dont heat up like an SD does sometimes)

---------- Post added 05-03-15 at 01:27 PM ----------

and NOW since nobdy said from what it should be differentthis one is serious):

Since we have a "CF CARD SLOT" and an SD slot in our little monster now, i gotta wish for it here and now:

They all only dream about it. Even most Canon and Nikon owners are just dreaming about it. But we may have it implemented in the FF.

"ENDLESS RAW SHOOTING"

Give that idea some Kudos ... remember that this is one serious argument and everyone who wants to buy the FF would profit of it and you dont give the Kudos to me. You give 'em to the idea.

And again i gotta hype my opinion here(because it is right and logical): Every resolution from 18MP on upwards to 32MP would be OK for really good results and would deliver better results in Low-Light than any 36-40-50 MP Monster. One just doesnt need resolutions that high. And with resolutions around 40MP we won't see those 2 features:
(and be honest to yourself you may really want to have them)

1st) Break the 10fps barrier
2nd) Endless RAW shooting
05-03-2015, 03:20 PM   #642
Veteran Member

What you want is 4K video recording.
05-04-2015, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #643
Veteran Member

FTF : I don't see that we need more than 32 Megapixel. - i would really love to see a 24.5 MP Sensor that is capable of 3 things (read carefully):

Decent results at ISO 12800 like on K-30, K-5, K-5II
Endless RAW shooting
at least 10 fps when shooting RAW

And chances to see these very useful features, are going to NULL if we would have a 36MP sensor in the camera. My opinion stays: 24.5 MP and all those 3 features should be available in the upcoming FF body.
ISO noise is, for the intent at hand, completely independent of the number of pixels.

Going to 36MP will not affect noise in any real way.
05-04-2015, 01:23 PM   #644
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
ISO noise is, for the intent at hand, completely independent of the number of pixels.

Going to 36MP will not affect noise in any real way.
Lets keep it simple. it is possible. that it does. (pixel density)
Otherwise i would not see any reason (except framerate and increased picture quality thanks to sensor pixels sized 6.94µm) that Canons top of the notch bodies "only" feature 18MP.
Despite that i am pretty sure, that we wont reach 10fps with 36MP. And with 36 MP you are as far away from endless raw shooting as we are from world peace now.

JMHO
05-04-2015, 01:45 PM   #645
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ISO noise is not dependent of number of pixels, but of the size of every pixel, between other factors. But in the last years, even that some small progress was made, the size is still the most important factor. Because of this, if the pixel size is bigger, for a better ISO, the number of it on a certain surface is smaller. So, ISO noise is dependent of the number of pixels, if we count the same sensor size.