Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #781
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
igma even said that the K-mount is pretty much a low priority for them right now.
It's hard to make concrete claims about what Sigma is doing. They are a small family business and can turn on a dime. Low priority can change to medium priority for 3 months, then go back to low-priority.

Their production schedule seems to be all about small batches nowadays, giving them maximum flexibility and letting them run with minimum unsold inventory - just ask Nikon users wanting to get ahold of the 24-105 f4. Available for 6 months, not available since, promised to be available later. Same with some Sigma K-mounts. Not initially available, then after the Canon and Nikon orders are fulfilled, they catch up with some K-mount and Sony mount lenses.

06-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #782
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It's hard to make concrete claims about what Sigma is doing. They are a small family business and can turn on a dime. Low priority can change to medium priority for 3 months, then go back to low-priority.

Their production schedule seems to be all about small batches nowadays, giving them maximum flexibility and letting them run with minimum unsold inventory - just ask Nikon users wanting to get ahold of the 24-105 f4. Available for 6 months, not available since, promised to be available later. Same with some Sigma K-mounts. Not initially available, then after the Canon and Nikon orders are fulfilled, they catch up with some K-mount and Sony mount lenses.
I don't see it as an issue just that Sigma isn't interested in the K mount at this time. If Pentax walked up and said we want to use your designs to save us the R&D and tooling just packaged up in a Pentax barrel and the Pentax AF designs they would. Pentax has done it before with other third party lens makers designs. If the cost is right for both and it frees up Pentax to work on the body it is a no brainer.
06-21-2015, 04:28 PM   #783
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
every time there is a discussion going on about a pentax FF DSLR ... people start talking gibberish about the doomed photography business, the rise of smartphones and mirrorless cameras without caring about what the title of the thread is about. I dont like that, though i think its kinda funny. We should make something like Godwins law out of it.
Lets call it: "Rico(h)'s Law" ;>
07-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #784
Veteran Member

perhaps pentax struck a deal with the Adaptist and the FF will come from factory with the PKMM mount

08-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #785
Veteran Member

need focus bracketing...
NEED.
08-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #786
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
need focus bracketing...
NEED.
This post (on many threads) would carry more weight if the poster was known to be a Pentax NDA beta tester.
08-15-2015, 11:27 AM   #787
Veteran Member

If pentax really focused on offering a decent video mode, they could have some competition in this. What about using the focus assist as a video light? Its not enough to be just a stills camera these days. You really need the whole nine yards as we are seeing from sony. A modern ui would really help it to appeal consumers these days i think too. Forget focus bracketing.. What about focus peaking?

08-15-2015, 02:08 PM   #788
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This post (on many threads) would carry more weight if the poster was known to be a Pentax NDA beta tester.
So tell me Shodan... How do i become a PENTAX NDA beta tester....

And in case someone like such a beta tester would read it: Focus Bracketing would be really cool for macros...(Which a full frame would also be ideal for... )
AND:

I need Phase Detection AF in Live-View mode on my FF just like on the good old K-5II, if there isn't some real innovation built into it making my demand unnecessary.(like a kind of that "Sony A99 - AF System" - but still with a flippy mirror... )
And i would love to see a histogram even when i am not in Live-View mode ... Pentax should add this features to a future firmware update for the K-3... This could be implemented as a fifth Statusdisplay-Option beside "Normal", "Level", "OFF" and "Compass", i really see no problem to drag those icons together and fit in an icon for "Histogram"... i really see no problem in implementing those functions.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/298256-ff-out-4-mon...#ixzz3iv5rhM4E

---------- Post added 08-15-15 at 02:55 PM ----------

And just in case it didn't get through yet:
A press on the AE-L Button should lock and vice versa unlock the photo that is highlighted when in review mode. (At the moment one must go to many ways with the buttons...)
And you should make the interface as a whole more customizable...
The Standard Info-Screen (when not in live-view mode) should have interchangable elements that one(the user) can modify.... for instance time and aperture are displayed on the BW top-LCD. One should be able to exchange the field of the info display that shows that values with a histogram(for instance) or the level(for instance) or a compass(for instance)
And if you are thinking... How should we implement this without a touchscreen? I tell ya, everything could be accomplished without a touchscreen. For INSTANCE:
With a long press on the play button one could set the info display to Adjust-Info-Display Mode and the camera should indicate that by a blinking thick green bezel around the element to change...If than in "Adjust Mode" one could push the "Delete Button" and keep it pressed while exchanging the element with the 4-way controller.... afterwards another long press on the "Play"(Review Mode) Button and voila the blinking thick green bezel disappears and we are back on the normal Info-Display with the now exchanged Info-Elements.

And if you guys would replace the "Delete Button" with the "Red Button",(actually for starting Records in Vid-Mode and switching to LV-mode but that would never interfere in this scenario/set-up... - you could make all pentax users happy... one less button- )
then one would/could use the newly introduced "Red Button" for :
A) Exchanging the Info-Display elements when in Adjust-Info-Display Mode
B) Deleting Pictures when in Review-Mode...
C) switching to LV when in Stil-Camera Mode
D) start a record when in Video-Camera-Mode

Those ideas are a present to Ricoh-Imaging Corp. ... I hereby waive a claim on the authorship of this
"User Elements Interaction Functionality" for the benefit of "Ricoh Imaging Co., Ltd."
08-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #789
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
If pentax really focused on offering a decent video mode, they could have some competition in this. What about using the focus assist as a video light? Its not enough to be just a stills camera these days. You really need the whole nine yards as we are seeing from sony. A modern ui would really help it to appeal consumers these days i think too. Forget focus bracketing.. What about focus peaking?
What about both? I want it to be a kick ass stills cam AND a kick ass video cam.

Most of all I want it to make full use of the hardware that is present, something that Pentax failed at in recent cameras.
08-17-2015, 04:47 AM   #790
Veteran Member

PENTAX(Ricoh Imagings ) storage place for FF protoypes...
Attached Images

08-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #791
Veteran Member

If they offered high speed video that would be nice.

Last edited by neostyles; 08-23-2015 at 07:27 PM.
08-24-2015, 02:58 PM   #792
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
every time there is a discussion going on about a pentax FF DSLR ... people start talking gibberish about the doomed photography business, the rise of smartphones and mirrorless cameras without caring about what the title of the thread is about. I dont like that, though i think its kinda funny. We should make something like Godwins law out of it.
Lets call it: "Rico(h)'s Law" ;>
totally agreed

---------- Post added 08-24-15 at 03:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
If they offered high speed video that would be nice.
Are you talking about slow motion? I think both would be cool. Slo-mo and time-lapse...
09-02-2015, 07:41 PM   #793
Banned

Original Poster
So, it's been a long time coming, and LOTS of speculation. Now it's nearly here, what do we all REALISTICALLY think it will comprise. As with my very original post....don't write what you wish it had, but what you think it will have. My guess:

- Sensor size unknown. If they want to pitch it against 1D / D4 for frame rate and sports, then 24mp. If they want to go with the lower end / higher res (D810 / 5D mkiii) then 36 or even the rumoured 42. I really don't know.....
- I think it'll have SR, with some limitations: maybe not astro tracer or pixel shift (unless they've really beefed up the server motors);
- Weather sealed (of course);
- Largely standard Pentax user interface;
- Most likely a flippy screen (probably not touch-enabled, but, you never know....);
- In built wifi;
- In built GPS (so maybe it will have astro function);
- Frame rate - see above on sensor. It depends where they want to pitch it;

So, back to my original question: what could be different? I'm no further forward. Despite the fancififul discussions about modular systems and the ability to launch satellites into geostationary orbit; I'm doubtful.

The patent for combined optical eVF is a possibility. I guess if they get the SR working well on a much bigger sensor then pixel shift could be there too.

At this point I expect an evolutionary machine, rather than revolutionary, from the works. But just my idle speculation.

Who knows?

Last edited by Poit; 09-02-2015 at 07:47 PM.
09-02-2015, 11:18 PM - 1 Like   #794
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Poit, from what I've read, some photographers say that Pentax auto focus cameras/lenses are a bit slower then their main competitors. Given that, why would Pentax go with a 24mp sensor built for action/sports that's historically not been their specialty?

I think that with the 24mp K3II with pixel shift they've shown that they are the best in the APS-C class when it comes to resolution. So, why would not the full frame play to that strength? Therefore, I think they'll go with the biggest mega pixel sensor they can get (36mp or 42mp), equip it with pixel shift, and have the resolution equivalent (in pixel shift mode) of an 80MP sensor and be the new king of full frame resolution mountain.
09-03-2015, 01:11 AM   #795
Pentaxian

I guess it will basically be a slightly larger K3II, and that's it.