Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2015, 01:25 AM   #796
Veteran Member

I think Pentax is going after the landscape/studio crowd, sports is not their thing, and they know. As long as non professional shooters are happy that's enough.

While I hope for a bit more video functionality I expect little. 4K is a possibility, but if it gets implemented it will be a lousy implementation that only will look good on paper.

Proof me wrong, Pentax. Hire someone who understands video as an advisor. See what video guys want. Likewise with stills... while I do think Pentax has a very good grasp about stills, there are probably some areas that Pentax engineers don't shoot. For those it would be nice to have a professional in the role as advisor/consultant. Especially in the field of computational photography (with the aid of a PC) there's a lot to be done. Help me in getting the stills I need to stitch a photo for example.

Last edited by kadajawi; 09-03-2015 at 01:40 AM.
09-04-2015, 05:00 PM   #797
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think someone else already mentioned this before, but maybe they'll have a FF Foveon sensor. Though it'd be a shift in direction since they've had the "select-able AA filter" in the K3 & K3II, and have been using Sony sensors in the last few camera's.
09-04-2015, 05:46 PM   #798
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Poit, from what I've read, some photographers say that Pentax auto focus cameras/lenses are a bit slower then their main competitors. Given that, why would Pentax go with a 24mp sensor built for action/sports that's historically not been their specialty?

I think that with the 24mp K3II with pixel shift they've shown that they are the best in the APS-C class when it comes to resolution. So, why would not the full frame play to that strength? Therefore, I think they'll go with the biggest mega pixel sensor they can get (36mp or 42mp), equip it with pixel shift, and have the resolution equivalent (in pixel shift mode) of an 80MP sensor and be the new king of full frame resolution mountain.
To answer your first question, perhaps they would like to remedy that 'historical' deficiency, and become competitive on all fronts (including action/sports). The pre-announcement of two premium long-range lenses (with no mention of wide-angle or normal zooms) might indicate they are looking for interest from that sector. Or maybe they just believe there are more 'birders' in the market to be woo-ed (which, as we all know, APS-C is better suited to and more affordable).

The sports/action segment is the one obvious 'gap' remaining in the Pentax/Ricoh offering....worth considering?

And why have a super-duper high-res pixel-shift FF that would compete directly with their MF range? Good business?

But you're quite right, their AF has been historically slower, and their recent releases have shown a trend towards high-res stills. So on the balance of probabilities you're speculation is probably more on the money than mine.

Just throwing an idea out there (I've thrown the same idea out a few times actually). Asahi Man has also previously suggested a super-fast 24MP FF....but I think he took that back (either plans changed or he was told to shut up).

OR...as someone recently suggested....maybe there will be more than one option....

Last edited by Poit; 09-04-2015 at 05:54 PM.
09-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #799
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
sports/action segment
I'd say there are several domains where top-notch AF is important. However the AF requirements vary. For instance, while in sports it's AF-C AF + tracking + fast AF motors able to keep up with camera fps, in weddings it's low-light AF performance + AF-C + quiet AF motors + [ideally] face detection AF.

Probably weddings/events is the larger segment of the industry, so if Pentax wanted to follow the money, it would make the FF a great wedding shooters camera, and tune the AF accordingly.

09-04-2015, 06:30 PM   #800
Banned

Original Poster
Couldn't agree more RAWR. As a wedding shooter I'm just hoping for a good performer in that arena.

But it's not jus AF that concerns me (although it does).

I'm not yet convinced that 36 or 42 MP is going to be a wedding shooter's dream for low-light / high ISO......which is the real reason I'd like a FF

---------- Post added 09-05-15 at 11:34 AM ----------

So you think 36 or 42 might still be on the cards?
09-04-2015, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #801
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
So you think 36
I would have said 36 MP a few months ago, based on various hints and intimations from asahi man, but now I am not so sure. It might indeed turn out to be a 42MP.

Thinking positively, the Sony 42MP DxOMark performance isn't significantly worse than a camera like the D810 or D750 for low-light. And 42MP also delivers an 18MP image in crop mode, which is more useful than what crop mode gives you out of a 24MP FF (about 10MP).
09-10-2015, 11:27 AM   #802
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i hope we will land a dedicated sensor with 32MP(33.2) and special features for LV mode... (enhanced AF in LV)
Res. good enough for crop-mode and next incarnation of the FF with a better CPU and faster RAM but the same sensor could be ready to feature 8K video...

*dreaming*

09-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #803
Veteran Member

I would love the idea of some sort of sensor cooling.. Not to say that i want the new ff to sound like a desktop computer when turned on, but some sort of heatsink perhaps. I read about a new sort of material that can cool very rapidly because of its made with hollow fibers or something. Pentax cameras are said to be cut out for very low temps... What about taking that a step further and offering a camera that can do its thing just as good in hot climates?
09-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #804
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
I would love the idea of some sort of sensor cooling.. Not to say that i want the new ff to sound like a desktop computer when turned on, but some sort of heatsink perhaps. I read about a new sort of material that can cool very rapidly because of its made with hollow fibers or something. Pentax cameras are said to be cut out for very low temps... What about taking that a step further and offering a camera that can do its thing just as good in hot climates?

Already in place. I have regularly used my K-5s and K-3, K-3ii in the Arizona desert for hours with outdoor temperatures as high as 110. There has never been a problem with their operation in the extreme heat. Components which function as heat sinks are alreay part of Pentax and probably high end Nikon and Canon Cameras. So far my A7RII has also shown no problems in the heat but I have not used it as extensively - only a few hours with temps over 100. It might have problems with extended video use but that is not why I have it.
09-10-2015, 06:08 PM   #805
Veteran Member

Ok fair enough but im talking about direct sensor cooling to keep noise down during exposures.
09-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #806

how about some crazy system that accepts DA lenses as FF lenses without the cropping. Its impossible, but cool hey
09-11-2015, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #807
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
accepts DA lenses as FF lenses without the cropping
Just mount them and use them.

Many DA lenses, maybe most (depending on which ones you have), won't show any problem at all and won't need to be used in any crop mode. Crop mode almost certainly won't be automatic for DA lenses. It never is - just look at how Sony, Nikon & Canon FF handle crop lenses. You choose crop mode, or not.

Otherwise, I guess, Pentax could build a lens assembly into the camera body that swings out as needed to optically enlarge the DX image circle to FX when crop lenses are mounted. That would be cool, but clumsy, and many lenses wouldn't need it anyhow.
09-11-2015, 10:10 AM   #808
Lev
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
It may come with interchangeable Canon and Nikon nameplates so you can be one of the herd
It may shoot in 3D, if you wear special glasses
Drone is optional
It may shoot in 3D with one lens because of the twin sensors
You can send text messages with it
Solar panels to charge the battery
It may look like a smart phone with a k-mount
It may have a round sensor to not waste the corners
It may be only available in infrared
It may be only shoot sepia photos
Maybe it will instantly print photos
Compatible with DirectTV
Because of the moveable sensor the registration distance will change depending on the mount you want to use
You forgot about parashute, in case you incidently drop it 😃😃😃😃
09-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #809

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Just mount them and use them.

Many DA lenses, maybe most (depending on which ones you have), won't show any problem at all and won't need to be used in any crop mode. Crop mode almost certainly won't be automatic for DA lenses. It never is - just look at how Sony, Nikon & Canon FF handle crop lenses. You choose crop mode, or not.

Otherwise, I guess, Pentax could build a lens assembly into the camera body that swings out as needed to optically enlarge the DX image circle to FX when crop lenses are mounted. That would be cool, but clumsy, and many lenses wouldn't need it anyhow.
That's right. Some DA lenses can be used, but for wide angle I don't think any work. What a shame it will be to say good bye to my 16-50. It's an awesome lens that I will sadly miss when I purchase the FF
09-11-2015, 01:19 PM   #810
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
It's an awesome lens that I will sadly miss when I purchase the FF
Are you saying you won't keep a backup body in your kit?
A backup body is essential to have around for important work. And a second body is sometimes just very handy because you can keep it dedicated to specific tasks (eg macro/telephoto). Or specific lenses.