Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 147 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2015, 03:35 PM   #826
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I can see Mirrorless eventually having a bigger share of the market, but not now. Maybe in another 5 years or so.
Mirrorless has been around for roughly 7 years so it's still has stuff to improve on, compared to DSLR's which have been around to 30+ years.

09-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #827
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
I can see Mirrorless eventually having a bigger share of the market, but not now. Maybe in another 5 years or so.
Mirrorless has been around for roughly 7 years so it's still has stuff to improve on, compared to DSLR's which have been around to 30+ years.
DSLR's have been around since before 1985? I thnk that's nearly longer then the Personal Computer.
09-29-2015, 07:38 PM   #828
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Not a bad idea. Could be doable.

But what about left-EYED shooters? I'm not left-handed, but do shoot left-eyed.

For left-eye shooters, your design retains the same problem as current Pentax bodies - the placement of the viewfinder. Ideally a left-eye shooter's DSLR would have the viewfinder towards the top right of the body.
I use my left eye and seemingly have no trouble with the viewfinder.
09-30-2015, 09:54 AM   #829
Veteran Member

Afaik dslrs have been around for around a decade Mirrorless has been around for maybe half that time but they weren't taken seriously as professional tools until the release of the a7 a few years ago and things really started picking up steam with the a6000/s7s came onto the scene last year. The major obstacle to overcome was that the evfs couldnt keep up with optical viewfinders.

If pentax could find a way to somehow reduce the effect of noise from underexposure i think it would be nice. Im always seeing noise in back lit shots, and part of me is like "at iso 320, really?" Everyone is talking about iso 50,000 but i think it would be nice if iso 1600/3200 were cleaner. Yes, i know fill flash is the way to go but i dont always have it with me. I often get asked to take group shots whenever i go out with my camera (go figure) and the d600 is already pretty bulky with the battary grip.

I think live view shooting has really become the new frontier thanks to sony. It's not very good on nikon. I cant speak to the newer ones such as the d750 but atleast on mine the shutter lag is so bad that slow exposures that would normally be fine shooting through the viewfinder become like gambling. Also uses up way too much battary.

09-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #830
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
DSLR's have been around since before 1985? I thnk that's nearly longer then the Personal Computer.
Well, if you count "hybrid SLRs" aka film body's with AF. DSLRs been (commercially) around since like '91 (Kodak DCS 100 was the first available), so actually 24(-ish) years.
09-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #831
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, if you count "hybrid SLRs" aka film body's with AF. DSLRs been (commercially) around since like '91 (Kodak DCS 100 was the first available), so actually 24(-ish) years.
OK if that's your standard, the Pentax ME-F was the first AF 35mm SLR, released in 1981. It had TTL CDAF autofocus, so it preceded MILC AF systems by at least a quarter century. But it was an SLR, Not a DSLR.

So was the DCS 100 (a digital back) a Kodak dSLR camera or a back for a Nikon F3HP? The Nikon could function with its native film back, but could the DCS 100 function without the Nikon analog body? Was it a digital single lens reflex camera?
09-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #832
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Afaik dslrs have been around for around a decade
?

If this is 'The Price Is Right', try 'Higher'. :-)

09-30-2015, 01:54 PM   #833
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did have an Olympus e20n in I think 2003 or 4 and it was at least the second Oly fixed lens DSLR.
10-17-2015, 06:12 PM   #834
Veteran Member

What about giving us an easy to to write to ssds? Im talking about something like something that plugs into one of the camera ports and outputs to an external hdd. Would be a great tool for film makers. But this is of course, if pentax has started to take video seriously.
10-18-2015, 05:13 PM   #835
osv
Veteran Member

i think that the first mirrorless camera ever made would have been the 3A Kodak Autographic Special, circa 1916?

the first digital mirrorless camera was the epson rd1, in 2004.

mirrorless is much older than dslrs.
10-19-2015, 03:43 AM   #836
Pentaxian

What could be different in Pentax DSLR (FF and APSC): more software features that would provide more assistance to the user. For example, the depth of field scale, infinity mark and aperture rings tend to disappear from lenses, those could be provided by software on the user interface. The camera would indicate depth of field at a given focus distance etc... same as with old manual lens, but now display on LCD / Viewfinder. Depth of field calculator should be built in the software. Also an ambient light sensor could be added on the top of camera body , and exposure could be calculated from incident ligth meter or TTL meter. It looks like there is still some room to differentiate a camera features, while using off the shelf sensors, image processors etc..
10-19-2015, 12:35 PM   #837
Pentaxian

What could be different? How about world class manual focusing?

I currently have a Pentax K-01 and it has horrible manual focusing capabilities. I have a number of high quality Zeiss and Voightlander MF lenses, and get the lowest keeper rate I've ever gotten with any camera system when using these MF lenses on the K-01.

After I purchase my Pentax full frame, I intend to use it almost exclusively with high quality MF lenses. The K-01 will be religated to being used for family snaps with inexpensive auto focus lenses.

I hope that my manual focus lenses really shine on the new Pentax full frame!

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 10-19-2015 at 12:46 PM.
10-19-2015, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #838
Veteran Member

FTF: The K-01 is not a DSLR...

i really think, that the K-01 mostly was designed to gain attention to the brand... it was kind of a provocateur and led many people to speculations what about some kind of translucent mirror and so on... could be ... sleepless nights. should i buy. it looks so cool. man it looks gross. disgusting. what a new toilet paper tissue holder from marc newsson? kinda that stuff.

and for hipster kids to shoot snapshots with it and the according 40mm XS AF lens...
and if you are a forbearing person you may be able to do great shots with it. But it i am pretty sure that it never was meant to be a serious shooter...

nonetheless i would like to put it in my vitrine and let my son play with it when he gets about 12 years old.

Focusing with manual lenses on normal Pentax DSLRs(K-5,K-5II,K-5IIs, K-3, K-3II, K-30, K-50, K-S1, K-S2 and so on) is a dream... mid-focus acitvated, - aim - a little left - a little right - beep -press shutter... You also have a catch-in focus feature available...
I am pretty sure the FF will not lack those features.
10-19-2015, 02:26 PM   #839
Pentaxian

I guess the K-01 was the only large sensor mirrorless they could do while under Hoya. I'm a bit surprised they could do the Q, but probably it was really inexpensive - being an interchangeable lens compact camera.

As for this topic, here's a crazy idea: what if the Pentax FF is different from other manufacturers' FFs, but not so much from other Pentax cameras?
Then, our efforts to think how Pentax would turn in different directions would be misguided
10-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #840
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What could be different in Pentax DSLR (FF and APSC): more software features that would provide more assistance to the user. For example, the depth of field scale, infinity mark and aperture rings tend to disappear from lenses, those could be provided by software on the user interface. The camera would indicate depth of field at a given focus distance etc... same as with old manual lens, but now display on LCD / Viewfinder. Depth of field calculator should be built in the software.
The problem is that the K-mount is not designed for this, as the distance data in AF K-mount lenses is only 4-bit data (max 16 positions), so the indications on DOF would not be very accurate.