Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
645z is Capital-D Different!
If Pentax released a mirrorless 645, then that would be "Capital-D Different". The 645z is more of an evolution.

04-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #62
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was referring to disrupting the staid MF market both on price and capabilities.
04-15-2014, 11:08 PM   #63
Pentaxian

I was referring to disrupting the staid MF market both on price and capabilities.
And I believe people have realized this time around that this is what's happening, because when everybody's using the same sensor, one looks closely at the differences. Pentax has the upper hand in many areas, despite a price that's only about 1/4 of the other guys. And quite frankly, while this may be disrupting the used lens market for Pentaxians, the fact that Ricoh made all (but one) of the FA lenses readily available new in the US - from the most trusted online source - instantly makes potential customers take them seriously (regardless of whether they eventually buy these lenses. But you know a reasonable number of people who can afford it will buy them new, to avoid the hassle).

After all, who's ever introduced a "new" system recently with 16 lenses at launch time? Instead of looking pathetic, with only 3 lenses, they now look more like Superman. And all these lenses use the native mount!

I realize the 645Z isn't really a "new" system, but it's largely being viewed that way. You only have one model, and you'll only get what Pentax gives you now (not many upgrades for a couple of years, most likely), but you can clearly see what you're getting and what you can add. And the whole system is there now, clear to see and evaluate, with its strengths and weaknesses. So potential buyers don't have to rely on promises. Camera, lenses, new flashes, accessories, and a Flucard that's already in use. The perceived risk by potential customers currently using other systems should be low.

Last edited by DSims; 04-15-2014 at 11:25 PM.
04-16-2014, 05:45 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
http://www./2014/04/10/sony-a7s-iso-comparison/

04-16-2014, 06:09 AM   #65
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Camera, lenses, new flashes, accessories, and a Flucard that's already in use. The perceived risk by potential customers currently using other systems should be low.
It will be a challenge to argue with your assessment - (but someone will).

As I have written before, I think one needs to understand the difference between smoke and mirrors.
04-16-2014, 07:03 AM   #66
Pentaxian

It will be a challenge to argue with your assessment - (but someone will).

As I have written before, I think one needs to understand the difference between smoke and mirrors.
"Smoke" means fire? And mirrors mean "do I everI look pretty"?
04-16-2014, 07:21 AM   #67
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
"Smoke" means fire? And mirrors mean "do I everI look pretty"?

'Smoke' = Active technology with its benefits and detriments
'Mirrors' = Passive technology with it benefits and detriments

Money disrupts markets. Technology destroys markets.

645z will disrupt the MF market. I suspect any Pentax FF will disrupt the market (and it will be pushed back to 2015 by 645z).
04-19-2014, 05:33 AM   #68
Banned

12mp A7s iso comparison

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote

04-20-2014, 04:14 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
After all, who's ever introduced a "new" system recently with 16 lenses at launch time? Instead of looking pathetic, with only 3 lenses, they now look more like Superman. And all these lenses use the native mount!.
This is US only. The Pentax 645 lenses has been available in Japan and Europe continously since 1984.....
04-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
This is US only. The Pentax 645 lenses has been available in Japan and Europe continously since 1984.....
I find it odd that Pentax abandoned the US MF market. At one point the 67II was common among professionals int the US. Maymia did a good job working with photography schools and Pentax was non-existent.
05-01-2014, 08:55 AM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I find it odd that Pentax abandoned the US MF market. At one point the 67II was common among professionals int the US. Maymia did a good job working with photography schools and Pentax was non-existent.
I've heard that the 645 format was never popular in the US. Don't know whether it is true though.
Large Format has for some reason been more popular in the US than anywhere else.
05-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #72
Pentaxian

I've heard that the 645 format was never popular in the US. Don't know whether it is true though.
Large Format has for some reason been more popular in the US than anywhere else.
Well, US is the land of SuperSize,
05-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I shot with the Pentax 67II before moving to the Contax 645. MF was pretty strong for a long time. The 6x7 and the 6x6 might have been more popular.
07-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #74
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
High ISO Compared: Sony A7S vs. A7R vs. Canon EOS 5D III: Digital Photography Review

Appears to me that 36mp A7r is better in most cases and the 5DIII is no worse that the A7s.
Most times, they are so close (as in still grainy and lack of fine details) that I'd still call them 'high ISO shots'
There really is no big advantage for one over the other.

The advantages of the new A7s sensor is just native high ISO limit, full electronic shutter, 4K video.
Oh... and lower resolution so that there are less issues with rangefinder lenses and edge sharpness will look better too for most UWA lenses.
07-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Appears to me that 36mp A7r is better in most cases and the 5DIII is no worse that the A7s.
DxOMark has also examined the A7s too.

When you compare signal to noise ratio between the A7 family members, and then normalise for print, they all perform much the same. Same with the A7s vs the Canon 5D3. Very similar performance curves.

However a big difference opens up between A7/A7r/Canon and the A7s when you look at the dynamic range chart. Even normalised for print, from about ISO 1600 onwards, the A7s has a significant DR advantage over the A7/A7r/Canon.

So SNR or noise - not much difference, which seems to be confirmed by the DPreview images. But in terms of dynamic range (which is perhaps harder to assess by eye) - the A7s does appear to be delivering the goods.