Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Original Poster
As far as FF bokeh, blur etc....I do find that my Limited series of lenses coupled with my ASP-C K-5, Km, K10D.... are really quite wonderful at isolating and making a very sharp portrait....with very nice blur behind the subject. I don't know if a FF would make a significant improvement on this picture type.

I have the 21, 40 and 70 Limiteds....I cannot recommend them enough.

04-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #47
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
As far as FF bokeh, blur etc....I do find that my Limited series of lenses coupled with my ASP-C K-5, Km, K10D.... are really quite wonderful at isolating and making a very sharp portrait....with very nice blur behind the subject.......
You lie! That's not possible with a sensor smaller than 24x36mm.

04-20-2014, 06:12 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You lie! That's not possible with a sensor smaller than 24x36mm.

I know...I know....you caught me !
04-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If there is such a scenario in the future when the cost of producing FF sensor is more economical than other bigger or smaller sensors because no one would buy it (hence no market or no money to make for camera makers), then I would 'want' a FF but I still don't 'need' one as everybody will be dumping the smaller APS-C or 4/3 sensor cameras and they will be virtually 'free'. But then, I realise that it can only happen in a dream...

Honestly, AFAIC, biggest draw for me would be a bigger/brighter viewfinder and ability to use FA lens in its native focal length; shadower DOF is a bonus.

04-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm the OP. I would ask if we can we get back to my thread. Thank you. I appreciate it.

If you want to continue to discuss your issue, please start another thread. Again thank you.

Les

Last edited by Parallax; 04-21-2014 at 08:21 AM.
04-21-2014, 08:22 AM - 2 Likes   #51
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I have deleted several posts here. Let's start over, shall we?
04-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have deleted several posts here. Let's start over, shall we?
Beautiful. It is like a brand new thread!

04-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #53
Pentaxian

I need an FF camera, because one would probably end once and for all my fantasy of owning a 645D or Z. There's more difference between APS-c and FF than there is between an FF and and a 645D. If the gap between FF and APS-c is too small for me to contemplate, then the gap between FF and a 645D is even smaller and less conceivable as an upgrade. An FF could save me a pile of money, should I give into temptation and buy one. Half of me says, hold out for a 645D or Z, the other half says, if Pentax comes out with an FF, go for it... save yourself a pile of money.

04-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #54
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I need an FF camera, because one would probably end once and for all my fantasy of owning a 645D or Z
Norm, if you can actually make your mind work that way, I envy you. I can't begin to add up the money I've wasted over the years by having convinced myself I could make do with something that was less than what I really wanted. I almost always have ended up buying what I really wanted later.
My first digital wasn't a DSLR as I wanted, it was Sony's best compact. That appeased me for about a month. Off to Ritz Photo. "I don't need the K10D, the K100D will be just fine". Yeah, right. 2 months after that I was the proud owner of the K10D, having wasted the money difference between what I paid and sold the Sony and the K100D for. Unless you have some super-human power, save yourself some money; buy the 645z.
04-21-2014, 08:45 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The difference between FF and digital MF is actually quite large. The 44x33 sensor is 1.68 times the size of a 24x36 size sensor. For small prints it's not huge, but big prints it starts making a difference.

Also, keep in mind, resolution is dictated by lens and sensor/film size. I think we've gotten to practical limits of resolution for APS-C, and we're close with FF sensors. Higher MP sensors in the future will be more of a difference on MF than FF or APS-C. Also, with the exception of the latest generation of the 25mm, everything is still compatible with film, so there's room to grow.

If the next generation sensor came out from Sony, and was 40x50mm or even a full 42mmx56mm, Pentax really could slap the sensor in the next 645D camera, and more or less have everything work.

---------- Post added 04-21-14 at 08:50 AM ----------

Woops-- I've been back and forth between here and the 645Z thread. Sorry for the FF dissing =/.

I'd love an FF, too-- but I think an APS-C, and a digital MF like the Pentax would be the perfect one two punch...

... With a Q in the pocket to capture every situation

I'm glad I don't have the $$$ to feed my addiction with digital gear.... I'm in enough trouble as it is with all my film gear, hehe.
04-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Norm, if you can actually make your mind work that way, I envy you. I can't begin to add up the money I've wasted over the years by having convinced myself I could make do with something that was less than what I really wanted. I almost always have ended up buying what I really wanted later.
My first digital wasn't a DSLR as I wanted, it was Sony's best compact. That appeased me for about a month. Off to Ritz Photo. "I don't need the K10D, the K100D will be just fine". Yeah, right. 2 months after that I was the proud owner of the K10D, having wasted the money difference between what I paid and sold the Sony and the K100D for. Unless you have some super-human power, save yourself some money; buy the 645z.

(Said with fingers in ears.) Noooo... noooo!!!! I'm not listening.

QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
The difference between FF and digital MF is actually quite large. The 44x33 sensor is 1.68 times the size of a 24x36 size sensor. For small prints it's not huge, but big prints it starts making a difference.

Also, keep in mind, resolution is dictated by lens and sensor/film size. I think we've gotten to practical limits of resolution for APS-C, and we're close with FF sensors. Higher MP sensors in the future will be more of a difference on MF than FF or APS-C. Also, with the exception of the latest generation of the 25mm, everything is still compatible with film, so there's room to grow.

If the next generation sensor came out from Sony, and was 40x50mm or even a full 42mmx56mm, Pentax really could slap the sensor in the next 645D camera, and more or less have everything work.
The whole question will soon become does your style dictate more resolution. My feeling is that high resolution is a niche...the 24 Mp of the K-3 for me has completely removed any desire for a D800. It allows me to crop comfortable and my comfort level for images seems to be about 4000x3000 pixels, and that's obtainable from a K-5. A K-3 lets me crop 2000 pixels and still attain that. For someone who always wants the absolute max in resolution, that's not going to cut it. I just don't think many of us are really like that.
04-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
(Said with fingers in ears.) Noooo... noooo!!!! I'm not listening.

The whole question will soon become does your style dictate more resolution. My feeling is that high resolution is a niche...the 24 Mp of the K-3 for me has completely removed any desire for a D800. It allows me to crop comfortable and my comfort level for images seems to be about 4000x3000 pixels, and that's obtainable from a K-5. A K-3 lets me crop 2000 pixels and still attain that. For someone who always wants the absolute max in resolution, that's not going to cut it. I just don't think many of us are really like that.
It's not about pixels for me... the quality of the pixels on bigger sensors is better. Even with high-resolution APS-C, I personally can't get away with that much cropping. For web usage and small prints it's OK, but I tend to print my work at 8x10 to 12x16 in all formats I use. Cropping out half of a high-res APS-C, the printing at 11x14, and comparing it side by side with a full frame print from TMAX 100 out of my MX, the MX looks miles ahead for detail, but is grainy (in a way that doesn't detract from the image.

I do put my nose right up in all my prints, though, which not everyone does.
04-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Who really needs a APS-C camera?
With a micro 4/3 camera, you can get bokeh. The APS-C camera doesnt offer more DOF control. Most of the time, i want MORE depth of field, so that's a plus with micro 4/3.
How will an APS-C improve your photography?
(Remember, u4/3 is much closer to APS-C than APS-C is to FF.)
04-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #59
Veteran Member

8x10 is so small!

---------- Post added 04-21-14 at 10:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Who really needs a APS-C camera?
With a micro 4/3 camera, you can get bokeh. The APS-C camera doesnt offer more DOF control. Most of the time, i want MORE depth of field, so that's a plus with micro 4/3.
(Remember, u4/3 is much closer to APS-C than APS-C is to FF.)

You can stop-down a APS-C lens.
04-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #60
Veteran Member

I don't know, but just like car, if you can have Ferrari, why would you settle for Chevy? Ferrari will be useful to have in certain situations, as they also called 'chick magnet'...

kidding aside, yes, I want a FF, more so after I start shooting with P67. Now I will settle that need with 35mm film camera.
but I am certain that if Pentax come out a FF camera, it will be an awesome camera.
Closed Thread