Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 71 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My car is designed to go about 100 miles an hour, yet I rarely drive much more than 60. For some reason, that doesn't bother me at all. I still enjoy driving at 60 mph, more than I'd enjoy 100.

But I'm supposed to enjoy my FA 50 less because it could cover a bigger sensor size? If you want to ruin your life with that kind of thinking, fine, it's a choice. I choose to enjoy using what I have the way I can, leaving the impossible for others. The crazy thing is, most on the forum will enjoy their FA 50s and DA 35s etc without ever using them on FF. It's a tortured soul who can't enjoy what he does , because of what he thinks he should be able to do.

I feel sorry for those souls, never happy in the moment, always regretting what might be that isn't. The ghost of the future clouding their past and present.

But I digress.
It's good that you're happy and content with what you have, the APS-C...
I too am happy with it but not content... It's like I have a car that can run up to a maximum of 100mph but I want to drive at a higher speed reaching up to 150mph... In short, I've outgrown with what I have... Just like in apertures of lenses, I was happy with f/5.6 or f/3.5 from an 18-55mm kit lens and I can create great images with it, but I've outgrown it and I want larger ones like f/2.8 or f/1.8 or f/1.4 in order for me to get the kind of looks for my images I was looking for; the logic applies the same on sensor sizes... Just like for other FF users when they've outgrown their format and needed more juice, so they ended up wanting a larger one like the medium format...

06-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #182
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you see my post about the A7 special at Henry's?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/147-pentax-mirrorless-cameras/264959-sony...ce-henrys.html

QuoteQuote:
Just like for other FF users when they've outgrown their format and needed more juice, so they ended up wanting a larger one like the medium format.
Some of us a growing the other way. We started out on large format and are seeing what we can squeeze out of lighter systems. Growth in no way implies needing to go larger. I've talked to as many guys looking at 4/3 after using APS-c than I have guys looking at FF from APS-c.
06-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #183
Veteran Member

Some of us a growing the other way. We started out on large format and are seeing what we can squeeze out of lighter systems. Growth in no way implies needing to go larger. I've talked to as many guys looking at 4/3 after using APS-c than I have guys looking at FF from APS-c.
True, there are also many who go the opposite for reasons like they wanted smaller and lightweight, pocketable, and wanted more wider depth of field even using with larger apertures, etc.. It's their (and your) preferences. We respect that... But there are also many others too who has other preferences like wanting a larger sensor for many specific reasons too. We all have our own preferences, and it's not like we're forcing you to just use FF because it's our preferences. What's happening here is like we – the people who wanted/needed a Pentax FF – are being prevented (and mocked) to not have and use a FF because you're happy and content using aps-c or 4/3 or smaller...
06-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #184
Pentaxian

Prevented, mocked? I don't think so, but, you're untitled to your interpretation.

06-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #185
Veteran Member

More sensor formats, more options for users.
Maybe even more money for Ricoh too, if they execute Plan FF right.
06-06-2014, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #186
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
True, there are also many who go the opposite for reasons like they wanted smaller and lightweight, pocketable, and wanted more wider depth of field even using with larger apertures, etc.. It's their (and your) preferences. We respect that... But there are also many others too who has other preferences like wanting a larger sensor for many specific reasons too. We all have our own preferences, and it's not like we're forcing you to just use FF because it's our preferences. What's happening here is like we – the people who wanted/needed a Pentax FF – are being prevented (and mocked) to not have and use a FF because you're happy and content using aps-c or 4/3 or smaller...
I agree.

It's all well and good saying 'some people want and enjoy smaller sensors and the benefits they bring', but some people want and enjoy larger sensors and the benefits they bring too. Myself included.

Not everyone can afford a 645z (I certainly can't right now), so the happy medium in terms of a larger sensor offering is FF.
06-07-2014, 05:52 AM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
I agree.

It's all well and good saying 'some people want and enjoy smaller sensors and the benefits they bring', but some people want and enjoy larger sensors and the benefits they bring too. Myself included.

Not everyone can afford a 645z (I certainly can't right now), so the happy medium in terms of a larger sensor offering is FF.
Ridiculous. If Pentax releases a 35x24 sensor, it make no difference to us. No one is writing to Pentax saying "please don't release an FF." IN fact I'd be happy if they did release an FF because a pile of people who are FF proponents would finally acquire one and realize that the reason their pictures don't have the look they want, is because they aren't using the appropriate techniques. The sooner Pentax releases an FF the sooner the nonsense will end.

But to blame APS-c shooters for "preventing" the release of an FF? That is delusional. We have nothing to do with it. Or are you saying APS-c users who are happy with APS_c product should boycott Pentax to help FF wannabes get what they want? What have you done for us lately?

No one is preventing you from getting anything, and if people are mocking you, it's because of statements like that. larger sensors are available. I myself posted a link to a site where you can order a Sony A7 for $1400 with a kit lens, and if you can't afford an FF A7 for $1400, you aren't going to be buying a Pentax FF anyway. An A7 with an adapter will use your Pentax glass on an FF sensor. We aren't preventing you, we're trying to help you. But some people would rather just whine.

Last edited by normhead; 06-07-2014 at 06:06 AM.
06-07-2014, 06:39 AM   #188
Veteran Member

IN fact I'd be happy if they did release an FF because a pile of people who are FF proponents would finally acquire one and realize that the reason their pictures don't have the look they want, is because they aren't using the appropriate techniques.
Wow... That is one arrogant statement there my fellow Pentaxian...
-_-
It's all about preferences. It seems that you hate people who have preferences outside of yours'...
06-07-2014, 06:42 AM   #189

But to blame APS-c shooters for "preventing" the release of an FF?
I confess to not having read all previous messages but I don't recall reading such accusation anywhere in this thread…

R
06-07-2014, 06:54 AM   #190
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

-_-
It's all about preferences. It seems that you hate people who have preferences outside of yours'...
QuoteOriginally posted by Iberia Quote
I confess to not having read all previous messages but I don't recall reading such accusation anywhere in this thread…

R
One needs to have read Forum threads for a long time to understand.

There is a variant of Godwin's Law that asserts 'All threads eventually become FF threads'. FF proponents will accept no argument that contradicts their assertion that FF is better than APSc.

normhead's comments are contextually just another statement in a half-decade conversation.
06-07-2014, 06:57 AM   #191
Pentaxian

-_-
No, I dislike people who have preferences different from mine telling me I am preventing them from them from achieving something. I don't hate anybody and you saying so is simply in excusable. Are you incapable of reasonable discussion?

I'll give you some guide lines.

Don't tell me ( and the whole forum) who (you think) I hate.
Don't tell me (and others on the forum) what (you think) I think.
Don't tell people I am ruining their life by preventing them from doing something. I have no power to prevent anyone from doing anything.
Don't tell people I'm mocking them, when I'm offering an alternative way to think about things.

Is that too much to ask?

---------- Post added 06-07-14 at 10:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Iberia Quote

R
Here you go.

06-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #192

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
One needs to have read Forum threads for a long time to understand.

There is a variant of Godwin's Law that asserts 'All threads eventually become FF threads'. FF proponents will accept no argument that contradicts their assertion that FF is better than APSc.

normhead's comments are contextually just another statement in a half-decade conversation.
I understand but this thread is specifically about FF.

The original question is Do you really need a FF ? Why ?

I have stated my reasons.

R
06-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #193
Veteran Member

-_-
It sure does seem like that.
06-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #194
Pentaxian

There are lots of ways to say why people need a full frame, without implying that you are smarter than others, that others don't know what they're talking about, or by un-necessarily trashing other's equipment. All of which are counter productive... I'm always amazed at folks who say they need a full frame, and then reel off a pile of reasons that are half truths. It makes me wonder, do they really need a full frame, or do they just think they need a full frame? Or is this a social one upsmanship thing..."na na my cameras bigger and better than yours". I feel the same way about DSRLs and every other piece of equipment for anything. The thing is, I've heard knowledgeable people explain clearly and concisely why they are going to both 4/3 and FF without a single inflammatory "na na na na na" kind of statement. It's possible to do, it should be done more often.
06-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #195
Veteran Member

"Full Frame was cheaper for me"

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/247656-stop-ff-sens...-nonsense.html

Norm, you seem to be in the FF forum a great deal arguing about how other people shouldn't want FF. If you enjoy what you have, enjoy what you have.
Closed Thread