Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
07-19-2014, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #316

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
haha yes. However, I get the feeling this place will implode if we don't see a K mount digital full frame body within 2 months time. There is so much hullabaloo over it.

On the other hand, perhaps that means an abundance of Pentax gear in the Marketplace in a few months time too.. be it either way. Great for us second hand shoppers!
You know, the hullabaloo is more of a tempest in a tea cup - whenever I enter this sub forum, I see anywhere from double to quadruple the number of people browsing in the adjacent Pentax Film forum. Maybe Pentax should just release a film camera for Photokina? Now that would be a major hoot and a riot! Pentax going full format the old fashioned way...

07-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #317
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eyeswideshut Quote
Maybe Pentax should just release a film camera for Photokina? Now that would be a major hoot and a riot! Pentax going full format the old fashioned way...
+1. I like how you think. If people thought the Nikon Df was retro...

But I don't think it will ever happen.
07-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #318
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote

So where do you use the A7 in preference over the K5 II? And what is your most frequently used lens with the A7? I'm still thinking about the A7, but am not sure i would use it that much if i had it. :-(
I use the K5 II when I need auto focus, for micro some and wildlife photography. The A7 is for portraits, landscape and when I need 24mp. They are both great in low light, but the A7 has a slight edge and is easier to focus because of the EVF brightness. Also I don't have a TTL flash for my K5 II yet, but I have a nice one for my A7 and for my 5D. I have both, because I got such great deals that I couldn't resist getting them. You won't live forever, so enjoy your toys.

---------- Post added 07-19-14 at 10:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
For a Pentaxian, perhaps the most amusing feature of the article
is item 2 in "Nikon's Mirrorless Future" on "DX", i.e., APS-C:

"Keep the F mount, but get rid of the mirror"

In other words, the author is suggesting that Nikon should make a K-01!

[And my apologies for talking about APS-C in a Full Frame thread. ]
If you keep the mirror chamber, you lose many of the advantages of a mirror-less camera. The 22-28.5 space between the A7 body and the slr lens creates wonderful opportunities for tilt and shift adapters etc. EVF doesn't need a auto diaphragm and provides full time depth of field preview. This is why manual lenses work so well on the mirror-less camera. Many who haven't tried a mirror-less are unaware of this. Also focus peeking and magnify work great. It was the same situation when slr's started to replace range finder cameras back in the fifties. I remember when people in the camera stores fifteen years ago told me that digital would never replace film. Times change, some people don't.
07-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #319
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Or the prices will go up, if a FF or other interesting camera will come. Or if some new lenses will be launched, with prices comparable to Canon L series. And if we look to the price of the new 1.4 AF converter, this is more likely.

PS. And not only the converter was launched with a very high price. 20-40mm Limited cost 1000, and the 560mm/5.6 was very expensive for this focal and aperture, when it came to the shelves.

I don't see that happening on second hand (used) items.. we'd probably see lots more K-5 and K-5 II bodies.. maybe some K-3's and APS-C oriented lenses in the marketplace with people looking to make some money to buy the shiny new Pentax digital FF body if it arrives or to sell off all gear due to not seeing a shiny, new Pentax digital FF body to purchase.

eyeswideshut, haha if it was a film body with flip out digital LCD on the back.. that would be hilarious. Not many are specifying digital when they say they want a new FF body.. so Maybe Ricoh will take that literally and actually release a FF body.. that takes film. yeah, not going to happen, but still a funny thought! Call it the K-10000

07-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #320
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
I use the K5 II when I need auto focus, for micro some and wildlife photography. The A7 is for portraits, landscape and when I need 24mp. They are both great in low light, but the A7 has a slight edge and is easier to focus because of the EVF brightness. Also I don't have a TTL flash for my K5 II yet, but I have a nice one for my A7 and for my 5D. I have both, because I got such great deals that I couldn't resist getting them. You won't live forever, so enjoy your toys.

---------- Post added 07-19-14 at 10:13 PM ----------

If you keep the mirror chamber, you lose many of the advantages of a mirror-less camera. The 22-28.5 space between the A7 body and the slr lens creates wonderful opportunities for tilt and shift adapters etc. EVF doesn't need a auto diaphragm and provides full time depth of field preview. This is why manual lenses work so well on the mirror-less camera. Many who haven't tried a mirror-less are unaware of this. Also focus peeking and magnify work great. It was the same situation when slr's started to replace range finder cameras back in the fifties. I remember when people in the camera stores fifteen years ago told me that digital would never replace film. Times change, some people don't.
Can you imagine the uproar if you were to tell the Nikon camp that they have to accept not only a mirrorless EVF in the future, but that they were also going to buy lenses for a new FF mount?? Nah - i think it would be safer to leave an empty cavity in the body. Sony's been telling their A-mount members that they will continue to support that mount along with the FE mount, but many don't seem to accept it.
07-20-2014, 01:29 AM   #321

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

And what about that film/slide duplicator they released a few months ago? I see a whole new workflow ahead for Pentaxians
07-20-2014, 02:58 AM   #322
Veteran Member

And what about that film/slide duplicator they released a few months ago? I see a whole new workflow ahead for Pentaxians
Now I am worried.

07-20-2014, 05:39 AM   #323
mee
Veteran Member

Now I am worried.
07-20-2014, 06:15 AM   #324
Banned

Just found this oldy from 2008..........

Bigger isn't always better. As sensor technology improves, the APS-C format will be more then able to meet the needs of most serious photographers. The MP race is coming to an end soon and dynamic range is improving. Noise is going down, while processing is getting faster. By keeping the current format, we will have smaller lenses and maybe smaller bodies soon. I think that the trend is toward smaller equipment, not bigger. I beleive that the FF trend will die with future advances.

Dave
Did the world change Big Dave?
07-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #325
Veteran Member

I also dont think it will happen...
but Nikon released the F6 out of the blue, still the sickest 35mm SLR. Maybe Pentax can take that title
(And for you non-Americans, sickest is slang for Best...kinda like baddest )).
07-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #326
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Just found this oldy from 2008..........
Originally posted by Big Dave Quote
Bigger isn't always better. As sensor technology improves, the APS-C format will be more then able to meet the needs of most serious photographers. The MP race is coming to an end soon and dynamic range is improving. Noise is going down, while processing is getting faster. By keeping the current format, we will have smaller lenses and maybe smaller bodies soon. I think that the trend is toward smaller equipment, not bigger. I beleive that the FF trend will die with future advances.

Did the world change Big Dave?
The camera world has changed a lot in the last six years. Well I guess I got the part about full frame dying with future advances wrong. I didn't foresee the coming of the mirror-less compact FF cameras. These cameras are going smaller with more compact lenses. My interest in FF is so that I can mount all of my lenses asp-c and legacy on a FF camera. The A7 does that now and it is smaller then my K5II. I still use my Pentax where it excels. The A7 is a game changer and small enough to be taken everywhere.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
07-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #327
Banned

The camera world has changed a lot in the last six years. Well I guess I got the part about full frame dying with future advances wrong. I didn't foresee the coming of the mirror-less compact FF cameras. These cameras are going smaller with more compact lenses. My interest in FF is so that I can mount all of my lenses asp-c and legacy on a FF camera. The A7 does that now and it is smaller then my K5II. I still use my Pentax where it excels. The A7 is a game changer and small enough to be taken everywhere.
And somehow I feel that the market not long yet ready with changing..... So is a large FF K-mount (its the K-mount that makes the camera large) the way to go....

On the other hand if they make one excellent FF based upon the same goodies that delivered the K-3/645Z they can hold it in production for the next 4 years.
07-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #328
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
And somehow I feel that the market not long yet ready with changing..... So is a large FF K-mount (its the K-mount that makes the camera large) the way to go....

On the other hand if they make one excellent FF based upon the same goodies that delivered the K-3/645Z they can hold it in production for the next 4 years.
They could make a FF about the size of the K3, if it didn't have SR in the body. The K mount already has room for the mirror and shutter. There would be no room for a SR type sensor. We would lose the anti-aliasing software feature. A larger penta prism would be required. The electronics have gotten small also, which helps. You can't it all and still be small.
07-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #329
Banned

They could make a FF about the size of the K3, if it didn't have SR in the body. The K mount already has room for the mirror and shutter. There would be no room for a SR type sensor. We would lose the anti-aliasing software feature. A larger penta prism would be required. The electronics have gotten small also, which helps. You can't it all and still be small.
Maybe why we got nothing.
07-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #330
Veteran Member

I think they'll make a K-3 sized camera with SR in the body. It'll still be the smallest FF DSLR.
Closed Thread