Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #361
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But when?

I sometimes think we will probably see a Samsung or even SamYang full-frame before we will see a Pentax FF.
I dont know how much i should say, but it wont take long!

07-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #362
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FF might be closer

After the release of the new Sony alpha 7 "full frame" cameras with their big sensors it may be closer. Ricoh is getting sensors from Sony so???????
07-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #363
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But when?

I sometimes think we will probably see a Samsung or even SamYang full-frame before we will see a Pentax FF.
You may see a Samsung or Fuji FF first as a mirror-less camera with evf. There is market space for this.
07-24-2014, 01:55 AM   #364
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
You may see a Samsung or Fuji FF first as a mirror-less camera with evf. There is market space for this.
Maybe Olympus in there too? I'd imagine that Fuji's next step will be to 24 mpx on APS-C. However, folks are maybe rather thinking that FF will be some kind of theme at this year's Photokina. I'm sure the trade fair will have one because they probably all do, even if only in retrospect and because people can't handle the notion that there wasn't one. But the theme at this year's Photokina could be a number of other things: for example, 4K video, new technology from Canon or Sony perhaps, a new kind of sensor to move beyond the Bayer model, the theme is that there is no theme because the camera-makers don't know the way forward, etc, etc. FF may be prominent or it may just be part of the landscape. It may even be revealed as a bit passé as a proposition for most consumers, with portable, connected, excellent on-sensor AF and 4K-ready being seen as the new hot mix - we just don't know. In fact, those last four items may mean much more work and investment for Ricoh than producing FF would involve and they might turn out to be more important too.

Last edited by mecrox; 07-24-2014 at 04:15 AM.
07-24-2014, 05:20 AM - 2 Likes   #365
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
After the release of the new Sony alpha 7 "full frame" cameras with their big sensors it may be closer. Ricoh is getting sensors from Sony so???????
If Ricoh came out with a compact FF 36mp camera like the A7r with the look of the Pentax LX it would be in big demand by people with FF K mount glass IMHO.
07-24-2014, 05:49 AM   #366
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Maybe Olympus in there too? I'd imagine that Fuji's next step will be to 24 mpx on APS-C. However, folks are maybe rather thinking that FF will be some kind of theme at this year's Photokina. I'm sure the trade fair will have one because they probably all do, even if only in retrospect and because people can't handle the notion that there wasn't one. But the theme at this year's Photokina could be a number of other things: for example, 4K video, new technology from Canon or Sony perhaps, a new kind of sensor to move beyond the Bayer model, the theme is that there is no theme because the camera-makers don't know the way forward, etc, etc. FF may be prominent or it may just be part of the landscape. It may even be revealed as a bit passé as a proposition for most consumers, with portable, connected, excellent on-sensor AF and 4K-ready being seen as the new hot mix - we just don't know. In fact, those last four items may mean much more work and investment for Ricoh than producing FF would involve and they might turn out to be more important too.
Maybe it wil be: How to survive as cameramaker in a fast shrinking market.
07-24-2014, 06:10 AM   #367
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Is this from someone who is looking to buy a FF mirrorless called the K1M for mirrorless, being of K mount, 24mp, quiet shutter, which has become a Pentax tradition. While also being WR and attract Sony customers, disappointed by lack of FE native lenses. But in lacking an OVF, you would like it to have EVF in the upper left corner of the back side. About the same size of the K3 but shorter on the height. To which you will remark on its lighter weight and that it's price is competitive with the D610 and the Sony A7??

Because I'm not desiring of such a camera.

I would like to see a FF dSLR K mount body with a big honkin grip, huge, bright OVF, and quiet shutter of the Pentax tradition... of course also being WR and priced competitively with the D610. Because I want it, I think it will sell like hotcakes at an IHOP.

---------- Post added 07-13-14 at 09:32 PM ----------

They went from Q10 to Q7.. soo does that mean next is a Q4? I know the Japanese have traditionally avoided the number 4 so do we get a Q5 or Q3 instead?

In any case, it seems like we can expect a new Q, and a mid tier K mount body if anything.. judging from past 2 years experience.

I'm not sure they want to throw their Mid tier to the lions though by announcing it alongside anything larger.. like a K3ii or even a K-FF, so if this is true, I wonder if that would mean they'd advance the release notice of 'smaller' products before Photokina. Again, provided they are releasing anything larger on the tier list above the mid tier body at Photokina.

100% agree with this post, an integrated battery grip to make it the size of even the D810 would be okey with me, 2 lenses, one for landscape and one normal zoom 24-70 to start with, the quality of the K3 or even better would make me pay nearly D810 money for it, especially if the picture quality would be up there.
07-24-2014, 06:10 AM   #368
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
If Ricoh came out with a compact FF 36mp camera like the A7r with the look of the Pentax LX it would be in big demand by people with FF K mount glass IMHO.
People who want or need a camera like the A7/r/s get an A7/r/s. The only differentiation in which another manufacturer could improve is in price. If they manage that, I'd be really impressed.*

EDIT:
*Nope, they're too late agian: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/268...ra-coming.html

Last edited by Clavius; 07-24-2014 at 07:03 AM.
07-24-2014, 06:10 AM   #369

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree, fully!

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

(snip)

For the same FOV, distance to subject, and F-stop, same display size, a larger sensor will have less DOF.

Using the same lens on two formats, same F-stop, same distance, same display size, the larger sensor will have more DOF. (but the two images will be radically different because they will be framed differently - so DOF comparison between the two is hardly even significant.)

Regardless, AF accuracy isn't tied to DOF as much as some people are suggesting here, although it can be a factor.

I often use the same lenses on various sensor sizes, mostly using FX, or CX, format sensor, where the latter is about an eighth of the former in area (crop factor 2.7).

I love the drastic difference in FOV I can attain with the very same lens, say the 80-400 VR II, or the Sigma 35/1.4, or the 85/1.8G.

I'd love a FX Pentax, but that seems to be a forlorn hope!

A cool 88° F here in southern Sweden, while up around the Polar Circle it is closer to a 92! All time high is as yet 100!

Take care,

Tord
07-24-2014, 07:55 AM   #370
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
People who want or need a camera like the A7/r/s get an A7/r/s. The only differentiation in which another manufacturer could improve is in price. If they manage that, I'd be really impressed.*

EDIT:
*Nope, they're too late agian: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/268...ra-coming.html
Different decade, different owners, same result.
Day late, dollar short.

And no, Pentax is not Doomed. They aren't going anywhere...but them growing into a real player as opposed to a niche brand seems doubtful anytime soon.
07-24-2014, 08:03 AM   #371
Pentaxian

I'm glad they don't join Sony's race for the bottom prices. I'd rather have them make higher end stuff, and products I would enjoy using.
07-24-2014, 08:40 AM   #372
Pentaxian

It can't be as compact as an A7 and have the K-mount, it's physically impossible... why do we keep getting back to this impossibility?
07-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #373
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
It can't be as compact as an A7 and have the K-mount, it's physically impossible... why do we keep getting back to this impossibility?
The answer to this question is difficult. I wonder some time why a very small numbers of people are so persistent in propagating that Sony A7 on this forum? What's their purpose? One of them even recognize that his newest Pentax is a K20, but he has a A7, so, we can say he is not interested in Pentax cameras anymore. IMHO, his only interest is to make propaganda for Sony against Pentax.

Are there some moderators on this forum?
07-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #374
Pentaxian

That reminds me...
I don't pay much attention to cameras I have no interest in.
07-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #375
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
The answer to this question is difficult. I wonder some time why a very small numbers of people are so persistent in propagating that Sony A7 on this forum? What's their purpose? One of them even recognize that his newest Pentax is a K20, but he has a A7, so, we can say he is not interested in Pentax cameras anymore. IMHO, his only interest is to make propaganda for Sony against Pentax.

Are there some moderators on this forum?
That, and the guy that now shoots Nikon full frame but still hangs out here all day every day because... his wife apparently still shoots Pentax. Apparently he thinks his Nikkor 24-85 lens trumps his (or her) Pentax Limited glass. If he truly thinks that, more power to him, but I got past the point of just laughing it off and am just annoyed now.

Not as bad as having an ex-wife calling you several times a day to tell you the guy she's with now is so much better than you. But still annoying...

And there's other ex-Pentaxians that hang around here to bash, and also people who haven't sold their Pentax gear yet, but don't use it, and also just like to say PentaxIsDoomed...

But don't think this is a problem just with the forums... remember the recent 645Z review at Luminous Landscape where the guys says the camera is more than anyone would need? If you look at the review, the reviewer says he hasn't shot with a DSLR hardly at all in the last 2 years. And then, if you look at this same reviewer's history, he posted a "Best of 2013" type article, where he states that his absolute favorite camera is a....... Olympus micro four thirds camera. So no wonder he thinks the 645Z is too much camera and wasn't too excited about it. And this guy writes articles and reviews at the Luminous Landscape website. I know it's more about the photographer than it is about the gear, but still... I thought that lacked objectivity and was too focused on the reviewer's personal needs to be taken seriously as a review.

That is why you have to take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt... and look at who is behind the words and what their intentions and/or personal tastes are...
Closed Thread