Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2014, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PENTAX will never have Full Frame...

Read the newly added section on 645z:PENTAX 645Z Stories by Engineers / PENTAX 645Z Special site | RICOH IMAGING

especially section 03:
The highest ISO sensitivity of PENTAX 645Z is ISO 204800, which is 128 times of the sensitivity of PENTAX 645D, ISO 1600. Namely, as the competitor, we see 35-mm full frame cameras rather than medium format cameras offered by other companies. Though it is just a matter of sensitivity, we always had the stringent stance in developing the [standard sensitivity] instead of the [extended sensitivity]. Ultimately, the judge is human eyes. We see the border line between the permissible range and the impermissible range. A big chance to show our skill was found in moving this line to expand the permissible range. Consequently, we imagine that consumers will be able to shoot objects which could not be shot so far or objects of which shooting had to be given up. With this model, we expect that pictures nobody has ever seen can be taken one after another. It is right that new pictures can be taken with a high-sensitivity camera. Moreover, if such a high-sensitivity camera is used with a low-sensitivity setting, the low-sensitivity image quality is very excellent because the camera has the remaining capacity to the upper limit.

They put 645Z as a like-135 full-frame but can offer much more (of course). If you read the whole intro to the 645z maybe you feel the same. They don't bother with 135, they basically said, we have MF, why bother 135!

That's it.

04-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think they are just saying that their medium format is competitive with 135 format cameras as far as sensitivity goes, and far exceeds medium format offerings from other companies. Doesn't say anything about having or not having a 135 format camera. Just marketing fluff about the 645z.
04-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, Pentax have their Q system, then their APS-C DSLRs, then a compelling medium format solution. Seems to me that they have a fairly evenly-distributed system with no overlap. Nikon has done something analogous: they are primarily an FX company with a 1" system as a compliment. IMHO, they are half-hearted about DX, using it more as way to get people to upgrade to their FX system. Thus, I don't see Nikon really going full-bore into medium format as it might really hurt their FX sales. But clearly Pentax has nothing to worry about with their three systems that compliment each other nicely and don't compete directly. Or put another way: I can't see how a small company like Pentax could afford to support a new FX system that might compete with their established DX and medium format lines. But of course, none of us really know. Guess we'll see what happens at Photokina.

M
04-24-2014, 09:21 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think they are just saying that their medium format is competitive with 135 format cameras as far as sensitivity goes, and far exceeds medium format offerings from other companies. Doesn't say anything about having or not having a 135 format camera. Just marketing fluff about the 645z.
That is the way I read it as well.

That being said, I think it is more significant that Pentax no longer makes a viable stable of FF-capable lenses. No, I am not talking about primes, I am talking about zooms. Show me the quality walk-around D FA zoom and its longer companion. If Ricoh/Pentax were to release a FF camera tomorrow, the company would be in an embarrassing situation comparable to that of Sony and its A7 series cameras. At least Sony has the kit lens covered. (Nice lens too...)

Steve

04-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, for that matter their stable of 645 lenses isn't very deep either...but yeah, if they were planning on FF in the nearish future you'd expect to see some activity on an updated FF zoom or three.
04-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
their established DX
Pentax makes DX cameras and lenses? I thought those were made by Nikon.

Steve
04-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think it is more significant that Pentax no longer makes a viable stable of FF-capable lenses. No, I am not talking about primes, I am talking about zooms.
Quite true, without 24-70 and 70-200 ish zooms they just would not have a creditable FF system. However, they have suddenly released things that no one even knew was on the radar, so no reason those lenses are not in the pipe line. And the newest lens road map does show a 70-200 lens with a curious '*' designation and a different color bar.

But all is speculation and rumor until the cover is pulled back and revelations are made.

04-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
you'd expect to see some activity on an updated FF zoom or three.
...or at least a few patents hinting at such. There are those who would say that Ricoh could retool from the older FA zoom designs, but many (most) of those were, ahem, less than Stirling.

Steve
04-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I think what will happen - or not with the FA Limited will confirm this thread's anticipation.
And for the time being, facts seem to indicate the same... FA Ltd are not produced nor replaced.

If such is their intention, Ricoh must be clear and cease to turn around the pot.
And stimulate their newly merged R&D dept to chop off more lenses for all their 3 existing mounts...
04-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

And the newest lens road map does show a 70-200 lens with a curious '*' designation and a different color bar.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...or at least a few patents hinting at such.
I have not seen the latest road map. The mystery 70-200 would be of interest regardless of whether they make a FF camera!

Steve
04-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you read the whole thing (whole 645z site), you might get the same feeling - that this is their answer to the call of 135 camera... that it is much better solution (of course) than a 135 and even though it is a MF, it operates just like a 135 that other companies offer.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have 645, but it is 8500 still.
04-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

It is possible that this is the way they are thinking. To say that 645 is Pentax's FF. And the presentation of 645z looks like this. But this will be a big mistake IMHO. Because any other firm use for their FF camera the same lens system as for APS-C, not a totally different one, with only expensive, slow lenses, and no super tele lenses, which is the case for 645 system.

IMHO, 645 is good for studio and landscape. Not for sport, for action, for events where you need speed and long range.

I wood like to see Pentax making a series of cameras on K-3 structure for different usage, like Sony with the A7 system. And also a FF system like this.
04-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do not agree. They are working on the 2 main zooms and rationalizing the primes. 645z success require extraordinary production effort, which will push things out another year - is the only change.

Read asahi man's Posts. These are only two indicative posts - there are many more direct statements.

Posted By asahi man Replies: 343
Views: 37,697

Bigfatzoom should be next.
150- > 400mm,fullframe lens.

Posted By asahi man
Replies: 279
Views: 28,213

Thatīs correct ;-)
FF Patents are DA* 2,8 200 + DA* 4,0 300.
The DA*200 is using the same optical formula like the FA*.
Only the coating is new,the inner parts are new and the ED glas in the middle is new,cause the old ED Type is not exist anymore.
So this element is a new glasmixture.
The converter is also optical fullframe.
The 560 is also working very good with fullframe sensor.
Best regards

Posted By asahi man Replies: 46
Views: 4,217

Yes,this is right.
I know the old K-3 specs under Hoya,lot of differents to the Ricoh Pentax K-3 today.
The old Plan was to bring the K-3 beginning of 2013,than Summer and now we have Autumn/Winter.
Now,the better K-3 is a Ricoh/Pentax baby.
Same the new lenses and Converter,Hoya stopped lot of thing and/or Ricoh is starting it again or bring it in a new/better variation.
Same the 560mm,i know about a different version of this lens.
Beginns before Hoya,than changed under Hoya and the next was Ricoh with the current version.
Pentax had a lot of good projects before Hoya.......and now,Ricoh will bring the most of them.
2014 will be very interesting,like the the known end of 2013.
Look to the great K-3,Flashes,new Limited HD Line and Limited zoom.
And...this is only the beginning of a new Pentax Time
EVERY Size will be in the Program,from APS-C to 645.

Best regards
04-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery
Ran whois on the domain, which is strangely not the usual ricoh-imaging.co.jp, too many things seems fishy :
  • registrant is "PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.", while ricoh famously dropped pentax from the company name
  • contact email is isp@mark-i.jp (what?)
Is this a real site?
04-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mazhe Quote
Ran whois on the domain, which is strangely not the usual ricoh-imaging.co.jp, too many things seems fishy :
  • registrant is "PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.", while ricoh famously dropped pentax from the company name
  • contact email is isp@mark-i.jp (what?)
Is this a real site?
What is the date of registration? I believe that Ricoh Imaging was doing business under that name immediately after the purchase. The contact e-mail appears to be that of the hosting site. That is not unusual.

Steve
Closed Thread