Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2014, 03:07 AM   #331
Banned

I think I'm done guessing...and almost as done caring.

07-21-2014, 03:13 AM   #332
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I think they'll make a K-3 sized camera with SR in the body. It'll still be the smallest FF DSLR.
I think they would have to figure out how to get SR in the body. It is the one thing I can think of that would clearly separate them from Nikon/Canon full frame offerings. I don't buy that size alone would cut it, but if you could get K3 features (adjustable AA filter, SR) on a full frame camera that was even a hair bigger, that could be a decent seller (depending on what lenses were released with it).
07-21-2014, 03:43 AM   #333
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think they'll make a K-3 sized camera with SR in the body. It'll still be the smallest FF DSLR.
Might not be easy.

The Canon is smaller than the K3.
07-21-2014, 03:51 AM   #334
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Might not be easy.

The Canon is smaller than the K3.
Agree.
This have shifted over time.
The DF and the 6D are very competitive size wise.
A Pentax FF will have to go against these in terms of size.

But, then, Pentax has always offered far more on a like priced body.
So FF, no AA filter; peaking in LV, more generous -3ev AF points, better build, etc.
And of course Pentax got smaller lenses.
It can still be competitive w/o SR
If there was, and in a K3 body, then thats the icing on the cake.

07-21-2014, 03:56 AM   #335
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, I've just looked it up, the 60D is a bit lighter but a bit bigger.
07-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #336
Veteran Member

The asp-c SR sensor module is very large. A FF version would be much bigger and preclude a small body.

---------- Post added 07-21-14 at 11:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
The asp-c SR sensor module is very large. A FF version would be much bigger and preclude a small body.
A Nikon D610 sized body with SR would be doable. It could be the edge need with software AA filter.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D5000  Photo 
07-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #337
Veteran Member

The asp-c SR sensor module is very large.
I think long ago in this thread or another, someone measured the movement required for the SR. It was about 4mm all around. So add that to the dimensions of a FF sensor and I suspect there will still probably be room to fit SR in a compact FF body.

To my mind, looking at the layout and component spacing of the SR module above, they may have already made room for a FF sensor.

07-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #338
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
haha yes. However, I get the feeling this place will implode if we don't see a K mount digital full frame body within 2 months time. There is so much hullabaloo over it.

On the other hand, perhaps that means an abundance of Pentax gear in the Marketplace in a few months time too.. be it either way. Great for us second hand shoppers!
Good point. I think I might upgrade my K20D to a K-5II in a couple months. If Pentax releases a FF, they'll all flood the market and be selling for 300 dollars. If Pentax does not release the FF, everybody jumps ship and I'll get my upgrade for 300 anyway
07-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #339
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I think long ago in this thread or another, someone measured the movement required for the SR. It was about 4mm all around. So add that to the dimensions of a FF sensor and I suspect there will still probably be room to fit SR in a compact FF body.

To my mind, looking at the layout and component spacing of the SR module above, they may have already made room for a FF sensor.
Well they had issues with SR into the 645D since the system was to heavy. I think the weight in this one is very directing to succes or failure.
07-21-2014, 11:50 AM   #340
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Good point. I think I might upgrade my K20D to a K-5II in a couple months. If Pentax releases a FF, they'll all flood the market and be selling for 300 dollars. If Pentax does not release the FF, everybody jumps ship and I'll get my upgrade for 300 anyway
I upgraded from a K20D last Thanksgiving and I was surprised at how much they had improved. I got a great price on the K5 II, but I really wanted a S model. The price was to good to pass up.

---------- Post added 07-21-14 at 01:55 PM ----------

I think that there may be a space requirement between the sensor and the magnets. I don't think it is good to mix these technologies. Just an idle thought.
07-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #341
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Heat and noise would seem to mean you don't make an SR unit as small as possible - http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/03/14/ricoh-qa-ricoh-tech-into-pen...tax-full-frame
07-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #342
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Yep! I got the K-5 II during the B&H Blackfriday sale last year. 800 dollars for a new K-5 II with the 18-135 WR plus 4% extra in store credit.

You will find them for muuuch less than that this Autumn either way I suspect!

The K-5 II is such a nice camera.
07-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #343
Veteran Member

I think that there may be a space requirement between the sensor and the magnets. I don't think it is good to mix these technologies. Just an idle thought.
True.
I'm not an electronics engineer, or industrial designer, but I suspect that if they needed to Ricoh could likely overcome any interference (eg with some additional shielding or a slight redesign) between those electromagnets and the sensor, especially as all those components aren't likely to be pulling much power.

I suspect they could also shrink the SR design in various ways, if they needed to. Lots of lenses have electromagnetic stabilisation systems in them too (even some Pentax 645 lenses), crammed very compactly around the edges of the rear lens group.
07-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #344
Veteran Member

True.
I'm not an electronics engineer, or industrial designer, but I suspect that if they needed to Ricoh could likely overcome any interference (eg with some additional shielding or a slight redesign) between those electromagnets and the sensor, especially as all those components aren't likely to be pulling much power.

I suspect they could also shrink the SR design in various ways, if they needed to. Lots of lenses have electromagnetic stabilisation systems in them too (even some Pentax 645 lenses), crammed very compactly around the edges of the rear lens group.
The Sony SLT-A99 is the only FF body that has in body SR that I know of. The assembly is quite large and is state of the art. It comes with a Xmor 24.3mp sensor. It would dictate a fairly large body. The A99 is currently at $2299, which make for serious competition for a Pentax FF. It would need even more space for a AA filter servo, if included.
Attached Images

07-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #345
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
I think I'm done guessing...and almost as done caring.

Does this mean I can almost have your DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 now? ..or too early?

---------- Post added 07-21-14 at 10:03 PM ----------

The Sony SLT-A99 is the only FF body that has in body SR that I know of. The assembly is quite large and is state of the art. It comes with a Xmor 24.3mp sensor. It would dictate a fairly large body. The A99 is currently at $2299, which make for serious competition for a Pentax FF. It would need even more space for a AA filter servo, if included.

Anytime I see 'is state of the art' I have to giggle thinking about reading this in 3 or 4 years from now much like I watch old commercials from the 50s or 60s today and see 'state of the art' televisions sets now with color.. and 'state of the art' microwave ovens. haha

Technology is moving so rapidly today.. almost feels exponential in advancement in places.

It seems anything 'Pentax' releases today is already outdated by the technology in their labs to be released 'tomorrow.' Perhaps also why they've been slow with releasing a FF digital body.. trying to figure out how to get what they want it to be with the limitations of the K mount ring and (at any time) current technology.
Closed Thread