Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
In terms of price, the comparison could only be with Leica's M series.
but Leica’s M series hi-iso is so so. I think it’s better compered in price and hi-iso possibilities with Sony a7s

---------- Post added 04-29-14 at 23:32 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
But the current lens selection is largely based on the 645 film camera. And people whine and cry for smaller cameras not bigger ones. Just look how the typical PF member trashes the size and weight of Canikon DSLRs.
fair enough

04-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
but Leica’s M series hi-iso is so so. I think it’s better compered in price and hi-iso possibilities with Sony a7s
In respect of high ISO, I'd have to agree with you, but the A7s body price is a lot lower than that of the 645Z, even if it is higher than a K-3's. The fact that you can make different selective comparisons on the basis of individual characteristics is why I said it's a difficult thing to do.

---------- Post added 30th Apr 2014 at 06:46 AM ----------

But the current lens selection is largely based on the 645 film camera. And people whine and cry for smaller cameras not bigger ones. Just look how the typical PF member trashes the size and weight of Canikon DSLRs.
I wouldn't want to walk around carrying a 645Z with lenses any more than I would any of the current Nikon or Canon 35FF cameras. Even the K-3/5 with several of the heftier FA*s or DA*s is too much for my back, these days, but the DA Limiteds are a different story. That's why I'd stick with the Pentax APS-C system for travel without a car or a native bearer!
04-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In respect of high ISO, I'd have to agree with you, but the A7s body price is a lot lower than that of the 645Z, even if it is higher than a K-3's. The fact that you can make different selective comparisons on the basis of individual characteristics is why I said it's a difficult thing to do.
a7s only two thousand dollars/euros cheeper(by rumors) than 645z.
04-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Seems unlikely.

On the other hand, not much use for a 12MP sensor, so perhaps given the very limited beneficiaries of high frame rates, perhaps the sensor will be quite expensive.

04-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hadn't seen that pricing rumour. In terms of video capability, on which it is being largely differentiated, the A7s looks like being squeezed between the GH4 (on capture and lens systems and much lower price) and the 645Z (on resolution and lens system).
04-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Can it use K-mount lenses? No. Can it use any 35mm lenses from any current system? No.

What does it offer to Pentax users wanting a 35mm camera who don't already own a large collection of 645 glass? A Pentax logo? Pentax menus?

If what you want is 35mm, moving to a Canon/Nikon 35mm system gives you a more versatile system with a lot more glass and body selection, at a substantially lower overall price.
04-29-2014, 02:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Can it use K-mount lenses? No. Can it use any 35mm lenses from any current system? No.

What does it offer to Pentax users wanting a 35mm camera who don't already own a large collection of 645 glass? A Pentax logo? Pentax menus?

If what you want is 35mm, moving to a Canon/Nikon 35mm system gives you a more versatile system with a lot more glass and body selection, at a substantially lower overall price.
Sums it up for me.

If you are happy with APS-C, pentax is hard to beat.
If you are looking for a FF DSLR, this 645Z will not be that replacement.

The price point is much higher for the 645Z than a comperable canikon FF system.
Not only that, their mission is much different.
In my opinion, Ricoh's advertising on their website that the 645Z is a FF substitute is very tone deaf and a bit of an insult to saavy customers.

04-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I wouldn't want to walk around carrying a 645Z with lenses any more than I would any of the current Nikon or Canon 35FF cameras.
Just to be clear, the Nikon Df is lighter than a K-3 and Nikon's f1.8 G-lenses are reasonable both in size and weight. Arguing over size/weight differences with this camera and a K-3 is splitting hairs.
04-29-2014, 04:21 PM   #24
Veteran Member

If I could afford the 645Z body I would sell off all the APS gear I own, minus the K-5, and never look back.
04-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to be clear, the Nikon Df is lighter than a K-3 and Nikon's f1.8 G-lenses are reasonable both in size and weight. Arguing over size/weight differences with this camera and a K-3 is splitting hairs.
Argument? No. This is mere contention!

OK. I'd be just as happy carrying a Nikon Df and a couple of lightweight lenses, as I would my K-3 and a couple of DA Limiteds (provided I could grow my designer stubble and find my leather jacket in time ).
04-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Heck, the D610+24-85 is lighter than the K-3+ 16-50 (and faster, longer, wider, cheaper, and sharper).

You have to get down to the F/6 range (FF) before commercially available APS-C lenses are generally better than FF.
04-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #27
Veteran Member

OK. I'd be just as happy carrying a Nikon Df and a couple of lightweight lenses, as I would my K-3 and a couple of DA Limiteds (provided I could grow my designer stubble and find my leather jacket in time ).
You'd be behind the times, it's apparently all sportcoat and stubble now

Ashton does aps-c
04-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
You'd be behind the times, it's apparently all sportcoat and stubble now

Ashton does aps-c
Damnit! I shouldn't have thrown out that tweed jacket…
04-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As a medium format film shooter (645, 6x6 & 6x7), I'd be happy with 'just' a P&S (MX-1) and a 645Z & three prime lenses (but wouldn't sell my P6x7 gear). 645's look and feel bigger than DSLRs, but unless you're only carrying one body & one lens, the bag you'll end up carrying is almost certainly going to be a similar size and similar weight. You may be more restricted in the lenses you carry (e.g. primes instead of zooms), but I got much better results with medium format without using a tripod or mirror lock-up.

For a number of years I only shot with various 35mm P&S's and my 645 film SLR outfit (not Pentax) and didn't miss my 35mm SLR gear at all.
04-30-2014, 05:12 PM   #30
Veteran Member

is 645z an FF we all were waiting for?
No .