Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
is 645z an FF we all were waiting for?

Or should we still for FF?

04-29-2014, 12:48 AM   #2

Good question and I now believe the answer is an emphatic YES !

I've read several threads on here (and other forums) recently that have been suggesting that a Pentax FF may never arrive and in my opinion they are right. The Ricoh management have to be cautious with their words as technological change could be bring about a change in strategy at any point, but as things stand today I don't believe there is a place (or need) for FF. The current line-up is very strong, the introduction of the "Zed" is really the icing on the cake - a top class MF digital camera that is likely to outperform its direct competitors in many ways at a price that's within reach for many pro's and semi-pro's. The K3 (and near future variants), the K5's, K50 and K500 cover virtually the whole market (apart from Full-pro) in APS-C, the Q range is pretty impressive for the mirror-less compact market so from a Pentax/Ricoh perspective why would they introduce FF (and the associated lens range required) to fullfil the wants of a relatively small number of users?

Having said all that, I'm FF ready with my FA*'s - so I won't complain if it does arrive
04-29-2014, 12:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

When you can buy a new 645Z for near the price of a D800, then we can say it's competitive with a 35FF. Regardless of price, it's a difficult comparison, because there are things that 35FF cameras can do that the 645Z can't do as well, and vice versa.

This question has already been posed in other threads, BTW.

It's not just a matter of technical capability and IQ. If you don't factor in price, at least, it's a pointless comparison.
04-29-2014, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me it doesn't really make any difference that the 645z is a Pentax. I can't afford one and it won't take my Pentax lenses. So the answer is a clear no.

04-29-2014, 01:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
When you can buy a new 645Z for near the price of a D800, then we can say it's competitive with a 35FF. Regardless of price, it's a difficult comparison, because there are things that 35FF cameras can do that the 645Z can't do as well, and vice versa.

It's not just a matter of technical capability and IQ. If you don't factor in price, at least, it's a pointless comparison.
If you comparing 645z with ff cameres you shoud compeer it with Sony a7s.
04-29-2014, 01:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote

I have two D800e's and that adds up to less than one 645Z pricewise. At the Australian price the 645Z is definitely not a 35mm FF replacement IMO.
04-29-2014, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #7

Absolutely, 9000€ body that use 4000€ lenses, in which I cannot reuse no K mount lense, is 3 times as big and twice heavy is totally what the people wanted. Do not be fooled by the fact there was already a pentax digital 645 before this one.
04-29-2014, 02:52 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Probably not. Price aside, people want a camera that can mount k mount lenses and use their full image circle. 645 just doesn't fit that bill.

04-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Five years ago, things weren't as clearly-in-favor of FF as they are now.

Sensor resolution was lower, Sensor prices were higher, improvement in sensors was dramatic from year to year. We haven't had an improvement in sensor technology for four years now!!

The previous paradigm was that APS-C sensors were far cheaper, had higher pixel density but were still below the lens resolving limit, and were a generation-of-sensor-technology better. Now APS-C sensors are cheaper (instead of far cheaper), have pixel density at or beyond 'common lens' resolving limit, and have the same generation of sensor technology.

Ricoh will go FF.
04-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If the 645Z was multi-mount system then I would be more likely to say yes to your original question. However, it is clearly a MF body designed for studio or slow and deliberate shots. A FF body and system would be more applicable to field shots whether your field is sports, weddings, vacation trips, etc.
04-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
If the 645Z was multi-mount system then I would be more likely to say yes to your original question. However, it is clearly a MF body designed for studio or slow and deliberate shots. A FF body and system would be more applicable to field shots whether your field is sports, weddings, vacation trips, etc.
digital FPS speeds spoiled photographs. Hit/miss rate now is relay on miss side. People shot sport, weddings and news on film, not wasting it. 3FPS is good.
04-29-2014, 01:21 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The 645Z is not FF. Long-time owners of the 645 film camera will still be faced with a crop factor with the lenses they are familiar with. NOObs to medium format will not know the difference much like people starting out APS-C for their first camera.
04-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
If you comparing 645z with ff cameres you shoud compeer it with Sony a7s.
In terms of price, the comparison could only be with Leica's M series.
04-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The 645Z is not FF. Long-time owners of the 645 film camera will still be faced with a crop factor with the lenses they are familiar with. NOObs to medium format will not know the difference much like people starting out APS-C for their first camera.
Yes itís not MF FF, but itís bigger than 35mm FF
04-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Yes itís not MF FF, but itís bigger than 35mm FF
But the current lens selection is largely based on the 645 film camera. And people whine and cry for smaller cameras not bigger ones. Just look how the typical PF member trashes the size and weight of Canikon DSLRs.