Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will Pentax release a Full Frame Body in 2014?
YES 3139.24%
NO 4860.76%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think they will show a 24Mp aps-c mirrorless to use the limiteds! Yeeeah!

06-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #17
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd vote yes, but . . . .

Yes, but it will be a mirrorless Ricoh, so I can't really answer the Poll.
06-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think it will be mirrorless FF with new mount under Ricoh brand and K mount under Pentax will be a bit later. Or if they have been working hard, introduce both and a K mount adapter for the new mount at the same time.
06-02-2014, 12:02 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
So, will not be this year. Not bad. At least I have time to raise the money for it.
Well, I can't really say for sure it will happen; but the latest lens on the roadmap seems to point in that direction.
Fingers crossed.

06-02-2014, 12:15 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
I hope Pentax never relases a FF camera. I had a loaned a friends D610 with the 24-120 lens and it was super-duper heavy. Lugging around such a monster for a wedding or any event is a back breaking experience. Not that I am old but it becomes prohibitive to carry around such a bulky item. And what for? Low light performance? Well cameras like K3,D7100 et all can deliver upto 80% performance of any FF camera for 50% price and weight of the FF gear
Plus Pentax today has one of the most extensive APSC screw driven lens line up on the market. At the coming photokina pentax is gonna annouce successors to K50,K500 and a few DC motor driven lenses.
cereal is tasty enough, lets not produce any other food as they are difficult to digest. cereal is light, and reasonably priced, why make more food?

JK.
06-02-2014, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Why do people upgrades their cameras?

Because most of them, if not all, wants to be better, wants to be like a professional photographer, even if they concede or not. And, to have a better gear for this is absolutely normal. To say no, is to say no to a good life, to a good home, to a good car. And in photography, the best, excepting the more expensive MF, is FF.

And every manufacturer knows this. FF cameras are the best marketing product, like concept cars for auto industry. Sony, Fuji and Samsung, makes or plans to make FF cameras. And I would be really surprised if Ricoh don't.
06-02-2014, 06:35 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I will not say what I voted for...it would be amazing if FF would come up. Looking at, let's say Sony a7 concept, it looks like good way to go now a days.
But I must doubt it.
New 645 will eat a lot of resources. And Ricoh needs to be competitive on that sector too. Not alone to try to keep up with other things too.
06-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
i say no. They won't.

Unless they can bring to the market something different than what's existing. But i don't think they will.

06-02-2014, 10:34 AM   #24
Site Supporter

The k3 is on the market.

What is the threshold for 'diiferent enough' I aps-c? Is the threshold higher for ff?
06-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #25
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
i say no. They won't.

Unless they can bring to the market something different than what's existing. But i don't think they will.
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The k3 is on the market.

What is the threshold for 'diiferent enough' I aps-c? Is the threshold higher for ff?
The K3 is also on the market in a 645z box (with dual processors and some other speed increments). Why shouldn't a K3 appear in an APSc MILC box and a FF dSLR box too? That makes perfect business sense.

In fact, why shouldn't they release a 645z (dual processors and other speed increments) in a FF box? That would make it different enough.

They've already sold out the 645z production for the rest of 2014 (according to the German-speaking Forum here) so they're not cannibalizing their own 645z sales if they do..
06-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The K3 is also on the market in a 645z box (with dual processors and some other speed increments). Why shouldn't a K3 appear in an APSc MILC box and a FF dSLR box too? That makes perfect business sense.

In fact, why shouldn't they release a 645z (dual processors and other speed increments) in a FF box? That would make it different enough.

They've already sold out the 645z production for the rest of 2014 (according to the German-speaking Forum here) so they're not cannibalizing their own 645z sales if they do..
Thats good news about the rest of 2014 being sold out. Go Pentax!!!

What i don't know about is what the manufacturing constraints are for a FF model. For example, does Sony Sensor Div. require XX,XXX number of FF sensors to be sold at a time. I doubt that Sony Sensor will sell FF sensors in one increment. Also, what does it cost to order an initial supply of parts for a FF camera, and what manufacturing lines are available to Pentax. If manufacturing an FF camera means disabling the 645Z line, perhaps that is not a good thing for payback costs.
06-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Thats good news about the rest of 2014 being sold out. Go Pentax!!!

What i don't know about is what the manufacturing constraints are for a FF model. For example, does Sony Sensor Div. require XX,XXX number of FF sensors to be sold at a time. I doubt that Sony Sensor will sell FF sensors in one increment. Also, what does it cost to order an initial supply of parts for a FF camera, and what manufacturing lines are available to Pentax. If manufacturing an FF camera means disabling the 645Z line, perhaps that is not a good thing for payback costs.
They don't have any problem providing sensors for the 645z. Why would it be an issue for the 24MP FF?
06-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
They don't have any problem providing sensors for the 645z. Why would it be an issue for the 24MP FF?
Maybe it could be a problem if Pentax will want to make a series of DSLR FF, with 36, 24, and 12Mp, like Sony's A7 series. But this could be really great for Pentax and Pentaxians.
06-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I'm not sure it would be so great... it's difficult to make even one camera, but 3 models? I'd say this would put them back in red. Sony is an expert at losing money, Ricoh OTOH not so much so they would be at a disadvantage
06-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't see Pentax making more than 1 FF body for a couple of years. They need one top quality body that will attract new users to the customer base. The single largest segment is wedding and portrait, so that is where they should focus. Once the user base is establish they can look at alternate bodies that appeal to more specialized users.