Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will Pentax release a Full Frame Body in 2014?
YES 3139.24%
NO 4860.76%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
As someone who works in procurement for a large organisation, I would suggest that the pricing structure and overarching contract is most likely a little more involved / complicated than that. We know that Pentax currently procures all of their sensors from Sony, so if I was involved with the Pentax/Ricoh procurement division, I would be seeking discounts across a range of sensors based on total value of sales (ie if I buy $50mil worth of sensors from you I get an xyz discount structure). That way the 'pain' of a single sensor type is spread across all the sensor types you buy. The net result is that you may wear an increase in price for a popular sensor (APS-C) to make a new venture (FF) more viable.

Similarly, Pentax / Ricoh appear to be duplicating technology across platforms (if the 645z is anything to go by), hence reducing the costs of firmware and hardware development costs.

And finally (and perhaps slightly more speculative) Asahi Man, who appears to be 'in the know' to a certain extent, has suggested in the last few days that the Pentax FF will utilise the K-3 body, which again reduces cost of manufacture (and all the associated elements you raise). Which makes perfect sense from a cost perspective, if it's achievable. It's also very clever, as there is no reason apart from vanity and marketing (or the ultra-complex cameras with multiple processors) that Canon or Nikon couldn't do the same.

So, my assessment is slightly more positive than yours. I certainly think it would be to Pentax / Ricoh's advantage to have some skin in the FF game, even if it only means some street cred, and I don't think it needs to cost as much as you suggest (or risk the farm). Current signs are that they have been EXTREMELY clever in planning this, and cutting unnecessary costs. I'm sitting here smiling, in fact, reading back my own logic and realising how clever it all is
Well, i like your assessment better than mine :-) Come to think of it, there are many more sensors needed for Ricoh copiers, i'm sure. Whether those sensors could be used as a bargaining factor with Sony, i have no idea.

Never been against Pentax making a FF camera, but always suspected the decision was more involved than the potential customers (me) knew.

If they could fit the FF into the K3 body, that would be terrific. Even if they had to compromise on some existing features, i think it would be worth it to have a FF in the Pentax lineup - go Ricoh!

06-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Actually, I think the biggest cost and/or limiting factor (which I didn't mention), is the new lens line-up they would require.

I guess we will see in due course what they come up with.

Go Ricoh indeed!
06-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Not gonna touch this with a ten-foot Poll.
This is like asking.... Why do Americans want to own a Assualt rifle for?
06-14-2014, 06:18 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
This is like asking.... Why do Americans want to own a Assualt rifle for?
I can't believe you asked that... you're a brave man.

06-15-2014, 07:25 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Seems to be a pretty consistent ratio. 40% think a new Pentax FF will be announced.
06-15-2014, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #66
Veteran Member

I heard from a reliable source it is coming out for Photokina and will be available in standard black, Ltd Silver, and a very limited run of Gold that comes with all accessories (grip, focus screen, etc.) and a commemorative jar of honey shaped like the FA 31.
06-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
I heard from a reliable source it is coming out for Photokina and will be available in standard black, Ltd Silver, and a very limited run of Gold that comes with all accessories (grip, focus screen, etc.) and a commemorative jar of honey shaped like the FA 31.
Don't play with us Mr!

---------- Post added 06-16-14 at 10:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Seems to be a pretty consistent ratio. 40% think a new Pentax FF will be announced.
And 60% (myself included) are so jaded with previous disappointments that we dare not hope/believe.

An interesting experiment in how many people are 'glass half full', or 'glass half empty' types
06-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I think there is a very good chance we see a K-1 announced with the 70-200 F/2.8 and the new FA LTD HD lenses at Photokina.
That would be a sweet lineup! 24-70mm needed as well. I know there are 3rd party options, but there's zero chance that Pentax releases a 135 body and says/implies/hints or otherwise intimates that users should avail themselves of a Sigma/Tamron for their main lens. Can't see it being a 3.5-5.6, personally, especially since the ~70-200 is a * lens.

This is all conjecture for fun.

06-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
24-70mm needed as well.
I'm sure Pentax will release one, but the 3 Ltd lenses can be updated and released to help cover that range until Pentax can produce a lens. The new Tamron version is very good, and Sigma is rumored to have a new 24-70 coming soon. Sigma already has the 24-105 F/4 Art lens that could be produced in K-mount if there was a market. Canon sells a lot of its 24-105L.
06-17-2014, 01:48 AM   #70
Veteran Member

If a FF will come, I expect the most popular lenses to be presented at the same time. There is no money in introducing a camera without lenses and every third party lens sold is a loss if a similar lens later on will be made by Pentax.
06-17-2014, 02:24 AM   #71
Pentaxian

The reason Tamron and Sigma have not released some of their new lenses more recently in K mount is because they are contracted to Ricoh as part of the new (but yet unannounced) full frame pentax range.

Last edited by noelpolar; 06-17-2014 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Can't spelů.ha ha
06-17-2014, 03:13 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
The reason Tamron and Sigma have not released some of their new lenses more recently in K mount is because they are contracted to Ricoh as part of the new (but yet unanownced) full frame pentax range.
This could be so true
06-17-2014, 03:48 AM   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax has missed each and every golden oppertunity to release an FF camera up untill now. What makes anybody think they're going to do it now? Now that it makes the least sense? Then they would have to try and break into a market that's already been conquered and saturated by te big boys. Even the tiniest niche holes have been plugged. What is left for Pentax?
06-17-2014, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Pentax has missed each and every golden oppertunity to release an FF camera up untill now. What makes anybody think they're going to do it now? Now that it makes the least sense? Then they would have to try and break into a market that's already been conquered and saturated by te big boys. Even the tiniest niche holes have been plugged. What is left for Pentax?
Because I have stated clearly, I'm not buying one. Now that I don't want one anymore, they'll release it. That's the way these things work. The only fly in the ointment would be that I'm not sure they know I'm not saying this just to trick them into releasing it. I have a reputation for devious posts of dubious sincerity. No one at Pentax takes me seriously.

(This is when my sister usually says "It's not all about you ya know Norm?")

Although when I met the Canadian reps at EXPOsure a few years ago, I'm pretty sure I saw some smirking after I introduced myself. Maybe it was just my imagination, I should have captured the moment on tape for analysis. But I wasn't expecting smirking, so if I thought I saw smirking it was probably there. I'm not sure it was smirking or just joy. One of the older guys ran over to me and made me take a few images with a 645D , they know sucker when they see one. They just over-estimated my bank account. I bet they thought I could sell 645Ds like I sell DA 18-135s. Well little did they know I have scruples. I won't sell 645Ds for them unless they give me one. And even then I'll have to think about my approach.

Not that I really care, those smirkers are doomed.

Last edited by normhead; 06-17-2014 at 06:14 AM.
06-17-2014, 04:27 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
There is a niche, made by those Pentax users who left the system or who will leave, is Pentax will not release a FF. Made by maybe more than 10% of current users. If you are not in here, OK, you can ignore it, but that doesn't mean that this market don't exist. Read the comment of yesterday column.

More than this. if Pentax want to gain a bigger market share, they must come with better, more professional camera. In the last six month, I've seen some people coming to Pentax from other systems, specially Canon. If, or when Pentax will have a FF camera, more people will come, because Pentax have some advantages over Canikon.

1. internal stabilisation, and by consequence,

2. cheaper lenses.

3. a more rugged body for less money.