Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will Pentax release a Full Frame Body in 2014?
YES 3139.24%
NO 4860.76%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2014, 05:26 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Each and every time I think of a possible FF camera that Pentax should make I always come up with something that is already offered, supported and widely available from one or more of the other brands. Even when I'm thinking outside of my own personal preferences. What can Pentax possibly offer that the others haven't marketed yet?

06-17-2014, 05:33 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Each and every time I think of a possible FF camera that Pentax should make I always come up with something that is already offered, supported and widely available from one or more of the other brands. Even when I'm thinking outside of my own personal preferences. What can Pentax possibly offer that the others haven't marketed yet?
The others don't have a Pentax.
06-17-2014, 06:08 AM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
It makes sense if Ricoh have concluded that there is no longer a future in selling premium APS-C equipment such as all-metal Limited lenses and DA*-level zooms....
but it's not that hard to see the economic argument along the lines of "We used to make a lot of money from our higher-priced APS-C DSLR equipment but the folks who want that level of quality are migrating to FF or upscale mirrorless, and our remaining customers aren't prepared to pay anything like that money.
I have to ask... why does any of this make sense? What indication is there that there's a shred of truth to it?
06-17-2014, 06:14 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What can Pentax possibly offer that the others haven't marketed yet?
I think the concept often introduced in these FF discussions - that Pentax will have to introduce some sort of secret space alien technology into any FF they develop in order for a FF to even be viable, let alone sell well enough to justify the effort of developing it - is bunk.

If Pentax introduced tomorrow what was essentially a decent camera like the D800 or D610 with a Pentax logo on it, it would do good business, it would fit well alongside their existing products, and many in the camera world (including Pentaxians, of course) would be very happy. That's all, really, they need to do, IMHO. No futuristic tech, amazing, innovative design or a full line up of 25 FF lenses required. Just a good, solid, well performing FF.

06-17-2014, 06:21 AM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I think the concept often introduced in these FF discussions - that Pentax will have to introduce some sort of secret space alien technology into any FF they develop in order for a FF to even be viable, let alone sell well enough to justify the effort of developing it - is bunk.

If Pentax introduced tomorrow what was essentially a decent camera like the D800 or D610 with a Pentax logo on it, it would do good business, it would fit well alongside their existing products, and many in the camera world (including Pentaxians, of course) would be very happy. That's all, really, they need to do, IMHO. No futuristic tech, amazing, innovative design or a full line up of 25 FF lenses required. Just a good, solid, well performing FF.
I wonder if people would start posting FF pictures in things like "Show your bokeh" etc. instead of starting their own clubs for FF images. And they did, I wonder if anyone would be able to pick out the FF images without knowing which were which. I've noticed on other sites, you pretty much have to hope the guy posts what camera he/she shot with, with FF and APS-c often in the same areas. I've often been surprised by who was shooting FF and who wasn't.
06-17-2014, 06:26 AM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have to ask... why does any of this make sense? What indication is there that there's a shred of truth to it?
In fact I've removed this post before seeing your response. I thought it a bit nerdulent rather than incorrect since I am tiring of so many threads ending in arguments on this board. I said that the post was "just speculation" (like almost all posts here, in fact). If Ricoh see profitable business leaching out of Pentax's traditional haunts and into FF or new-generation mirrorless cameras, because what consumers want is changing, then one would expect Ricoh to consider moving after it rather than staying put where they are and having to exist on short rations. Makes sense to me. The things to remember are "if" and "consider".

Last edited by mecrox; 06-17-2014 at 07:18 AM.
06-17-2014, 06:58 AM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Then what's the difference with just sticking a Pentax logo on your FF from another brand? People who need FF and can afford it already have it, so how is it going to entice those people to go for the Pentax FF if it's similar? It should have some very interesting pricing then?
06-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #83

That's simple. A dSLR with a ground glass, split/micro prism viewfinder. The biggest and the best in the Industry.
Noone makes it, many people want it :-)

06-17-2014, 07:37 AM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eyeswideshut Quote
That's simple. A dSLR with a ground glass, split/micro prism viewfinder. The biggest and the best in the Industry.
Noone makes it, many people want it :-)
How would that fit in a K3 shell?
06-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
How would that fit in a K3 shell?
Why would that be a requirement?
06-17-2014, 07:46 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
There is a niche, made by those Pentax users who left the system or who will leave, is Pentax will not release a FF. Made by maybe more than 10% of current users. If you are not in here, OK, you can ignore it, but that doesn't mean that this market don't exist. Read the comment of yesterday column.

More than this. if Pentax want to gain a bigger market share, they must come with better, more professional camera. In the last six month, I've seen some people coming to Pentax from other systems, specially Canon. If, or when Pentax will have a FF camera, more people will come, because Pentax have some advantages over Canikon.

1. internal stabilisation, and by consequence,

2. cheaper lenses.

3. a more rugged body for less money.
They used to have cheaper lenses. Now they don't.
06-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #87
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
how is it going to entice those people to go for the Pentax FF if it's similar?
The same way, I guess, people are enticed to buy Pentax APS-C's.
06-17-2014, 07:58 AM   #88
Pentaxian

Pentax lenses are not cheaper than Canon L lenses?
06-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Pentax lenses are not cheaper than Canon L lenses?
Dunno, you tell me.

When I compare Pentax lenses to Nikon lenses of similar specification, the Nikons are basically always cheaper. When I compare bodies, the Pentax seems to be a hair cheaper. That paradigm should be reversed if it was truly based on manufacturing costs - Pentax has stabilization and faster-motors in the body, Nikon has faster motors in the lens and stabilization in the lens.

Pentax doesn't have full frame zooms out yet but I expect them to be at least as expensive as the competition.
06-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
FA Limited lenses are getting updated
Let it be with WR, please.

Do they keep the 27 AF points and spread them out?
That would be nice.

Does Pentax take the same wafers used for the 24MP APS-C sensor and produce a 54MP FF sensor?
It doesn't work that way I'm afraid. There's much much more to making a sensor than just cutting the wafer. Look at the Sony sensor, and pick your best bet from there.

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
When I compare Pentax lenses to Nikon lenses of similar specification, the Nikons are basically always cheaper.
Examples? I don't think you can just pick a few specs to compare. Are you comparing a limited with an entry-level lens? Nikon has much duplication in their lineup, often with a "cheap" and "expensive" model overlap.

Take for instance the FA77 (1050$) and Nikon 85mm lenses. The entry-level is 500$, granted, but is nowhere near Limited quality. Their top 85mm lens is 1600$, almost 50% more expensive than the 77.