Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will Pentax release a Full Frame Body in 2014?
YES 3139.24%
NO 4860.76%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Let it be with WR, please.

That would be nice.

It doesn't work that way I'm afraid. There's much much more to making a sensor than just cutting the wafer. Look at the Sony sensor, and pick your best bet from there.

Examples? I don't think you can just pick a few specs to compare. Are you comparing a limited with an entry-level lens? Nikon has much duplication in their lineup, often with a "cheap" and "expensive" model overlap.

Take for instance the FA77 (1050$) and Nikon 85mm lenses. The entry-level is 500$, granted, but is nowhere near Limited quality. Their top 85mm lens is 1600$, almost 50% more expensive than the 77.

I was thinking about the 16-50 vs 17-55, but it looks like NIkon raised their price and they're about the same now.
The 85mm F/1.8 and the 77mm F/1.8 is another good example. The 85mm is sharper than the 77, has great bokeh, and has excellent build quality with WR. I have the 77, it's a nice lens, but it's really only 'better' than the Nikon in terms of smallness and 'joy of use'. Is that worth $500? I don't know, but the Nikon is definitely cheaper.

You can dismiss the Nikon as an 'entry level' lens but in fact it's one of the best lenses on the market right now, regardless of price.

06-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This discussion, like other on this subject, turns in to an endless argument between the same small number of members who, from reasons I cannot understand, consider that their preference - no Pentax FF - must be imposed and accepted by everyone, and the others. Others, who want or don't want a FF camera for themselves, but consider that this kind of camera is a logical step in the development of Pentax system. Or, at least this is my impression.

So, excuse me, but I think that I'd better quit.
06-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #93
Pentaxian

To enhance my enjoyment and pleasure that photography gives me (nothing to do with need) I would purchase a FF Pentax to augment my APC Pentax (which I'd keep mostly for longer lenses or compactness at times). If Pentax was not to release one in the next 12 months or so my urge for something to "tinker with" would probally see me get an A7 equivalent.

It will be interesting to see what they do, especially how they position a FF offering in the market place against their APC range (I would expect it will have to be on price as per FA's V's DA's.)

I'd be very happy if it was a K3 based version (size, battery type).....

Last edited by noelpolar; 06-18-2014 at 03:41 AM.
06-17-2014, 10:57 PM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Then what's the difference with just sticking a Pentax logo on your FF from another brand? People who need FF and can afford it already have it, so how is it going to entice those people to go for the Pentax FF if it's similar? It should have some very interesting pricing then?
I think there are a large number of people who start with Pentax, progress as photographers, and feel like they are hitting a wall with the Pentax offering. These people then move on to other brands. Pentax needs to fill the gap between APS-C and the 645z. It doesn't need to be revolutionary. It just needs to be like the K-3 in that its a very refined, and well built body. Pentax needs to stick with the line of high quality unique lenses like the FA limiteds and continue to improve and develop.

06-18-2014, 01:37 AM   #95

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I was thinking about the 16-50 vs 17-55, but it looks like NIkon raised their price and they're about the same now.
The 85mm F/1.8 and the 77mm F/1.8 is another good example. The 85mm is sharper than the 77, has great bokeh, and has excellent build quality with WR. I have the 77, it's a nice lens, but it's really only 'better' than the Nikon in terms of smallness and 'joy of use'. Is that worth $500? I don't know, but the Nikon is definitely cheaper.

You can dismiss the Nikon as an 'entry level' lens but in fact it's one of the best lenses on the market right now, regardless of price.
...but the argument was that you can get a stabilised system with cheaper lenses. The 77 on k-3 is stabilised, the 85 as most nikon primes not.
06-18-2014, 01:47 AM   #96
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I think there are a large number of people who start with Pentax, progress as photographers, and feel like they are hitting a wall with the Pentax offering. These people then move on to other brands.
I think there's not many of those around. Because if I knew that I may be wanting to upgrade later, the system without the upgrade path would be the very last of my choices. That's why I think that the newer Pentaxians are either not interested in FF at all. Or at least not interested enough to inform themselves properly prior to jumping in a system. So, I'm guessing the majority of those eagurly aticipating a K-mount FF DSLR are from the film era.

Hopefully Pentax will do something that shouts: "We're back!!" for a change. Focussed new customers. Like for example building a Pentax A7/r/s, but better and even smaller then the Sony, with better ergonomics, and from the same metal as the limited lenses. And a few new really flat pancakes to go with it. Oh, and no rubber grips that peel after a while, just knurl the metal at the grips. I bet that would get some attention.
06-18-2014, 02:39 AM   #97

Hopefully Pentax will do something that shouts: "We're back!!" for a change. Focussed new customers.
So that's the plan. You can get it in FF...

Sony's curved sensors may allow for simpler lenses and better images: Digital Photography Review

;-)
06-18-2014, 02:47 AM   #98

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Yes, but only with one lens... :-(

06-18-2014, 04:38 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eyeswideshut Quote
Yes, but only with one lens... :-(
Just one lens? Or does it require a new range of lenses built with the same curved focal plane?
06-18-2014, 05:05 AM   #100

Just one lens? Or does it require a new range of lenses built with the same curved focal plane?
For the moment apparently Sony are planning on a fixed 35/1.8 for the successor to the RX1

Sony RX2 Reported to Sport a Faster 35mm f1.8 Lens and a Curved Sensor - The Phoblographer

If they will expand that to an entire lens lineup for som ILC like the A7 is unknown at this point (but likely I should think).
06-18-2014, 05:11 AM   #101
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Or does it require a new range of lenses built with the same curved focal plane?
Maybe the curved sensor tech will find its way into a Theta II ?
06-18-2014, 05:25 AM   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
mall number of members who, from reasons I cannot understand, consider that their preference - no Pentax FF - must be imposed and accepted by everyone
You could argue that those people would prefer Pentax to focus its energy on developping the system they have now instead of slipping resources between two systems. That's not unreasonable.
06-18-2014, 07:14 AM   #103
Veteran Member

It would work great on an interchangeable lens camera, too... but moreso on wide angle and normal lenses I think.

A fast normal lens would be trivial.
06-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think there's not many of those around. Because if I knew that I may be wanting to upgrade later, the system without the upgrade path would be the very last of my choices.
I see several just on this board who have bought the Nikon D800/610 or the Sony A7/A7r. There are quite a few people who start out with the expectation that APS-C is all they will ever need, and whether that is true or not I don't know, but many of them eventually want to move on to a FF body.
06-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I see several just on this board who have bought the Nikon D800/610 or the Sony A7/A7r. There are quite a few people who start out with the expectation that APS-C is all they will ever need, and whether that is true or not I don't know, but many of them eventually want to move on to a FF body.
Yeah....but but but...there's also a lot that are moving from FF and aps dslrs down to smaller mirrorless models like i did. I read the Sony forum on dpreview, and there's any number of stories recounting people selling off their FF and going to mirrorless and smaller. It all depends on forums you go to and which threads you read

Which is the larger trend - I don't know - i don't have the numbers to compare and it doesn't sound like you do either.