Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will Pentax release a Full Frame Body in 2014?
YES 3139.24%
NO 4860.76%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2014, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #106
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the time when every first-time digital camera buyer wanted a traditional body and interchangeable lens (or thought that's what she wanted; or was sold that kit at the camera store; or bought the box at Sam's Club or Costco) - I think those glory days are behind us.

First-time camera buyers (those that actually want to use something other than a phone) are more discerning and can choose from many paths to their goal - sexy mirrorless, traditional dSLR kits (APSc and FF), small, medium and large sized.

The distinction OUTSIDE FORUMS like this one or dpreview seems to be how much time and trouble and money the user wants to spend toting around and changing lenses, and whether the user EVER envisions printing an image.

Virtually ANY device will produce a suitable screen-display capture these days and virtually any well-cared=for dSLR purchased in the last ten years is likely to still be in working condition. I mean, I was perfectly happy with a K10D, K-01 and Q. If it wasn't for Christmas I wouldn't have a K-3 at all.

That's just NEW BUYERS, which doesn't take into account the gearhead types who populate these Forums and the pros who actually evaluate their gear based on its effectiveness to perform a specific task.

06-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #107
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The K-3II
Did I miss something? K-3II?

Steve
06-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #108
Veteran Member

It was awesome. Medium format sensor with 12-dimension stability and post-adjustable focus. The included waistlevel optical viewfinder really worked well with the mirrorless design.

Sadly, at $200 Pentax decided to quit producing them after I got the only publicly sold copy.
06-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Did I miss something? K-3II?

Steve
You haven't seen the new K-3II?

06-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #110
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
You haven't seen the new K-3II?
No

I am so out of touch...

Steve
06-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No

I am so out of touch...

Steve
I thought you waited so long that you got the K-3 II.
06-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think the time when every first-time digital camera buyer wanted a traditional body and interchangeable lens (or thought that's what she wanted; or was sold that kit at the camera store; or bought the box at Sam's Club or Costco) - I think those glory days are behind us.

First-time camera buyers (those that actually want to use something other than a phone) are more discerning and can choose from many paths to their goal - sexy mirrorless, traditional dSLR kits (APSc and FF), small, medium and large sized.

The distinction OUTSIDE FORUMS like this one or dpreview seems to be how much time and trouble and money the user wants to spend toting around and changing lenses, and whether the user EVER envisions printing an image.

Virtually ANY device will produce a suitable screen-display capture these days and virtually any well-cared=for dSLR purchased in the last ten years is likely to still be in working condition. I mean, I was perfectly happy with a K10D, K-01 and Q. If it wasn't for Christmas I wouldn't have a K-3 at all.

That's just NEW BUYERS, which doesn't take into account the gearhead types who populate these Forums and the pros who actually evaluate their gear based on its effectiveness to perform a specific task.
Really good comments there, i think. There seems to be a common idea in our country of what DSLRs look like. The many times i've had my K5 and K3 down at the local theatre taking rehearsal and head shots - not one comment on the camera. The first time i had my Sony Nex 5n down in the theatre lobby taking opening night shots, i get several comments like: oh what kind of camera is that - and on and on. Its sort of discouraging after all the use i put into the K5 and K3, and its a Nex camera that people want to talk about. Oh well - its a different world out there.
06-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
and whether the user EVER envisions printing an image
It doesn't exist until it's printed.

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
The many times i've had my K5 and K3 down at the local theatre taking rehearsal and head shots - not one comment on the camera.
I would consider that a GOOD thing. Better to not be noticed!

06-19-2014, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #114
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Who needs a mirror?

Full frame mirrorless is the way to go. If you haven't tried a hi-res EVF, you are really missing something special. Focus peeking with image zoom in the finder is incredible, you even get to see depth of field in real time, before shooting. If you ever tried to view your shots in bright sunlight, you will appreciate viewing them in the EVF. The production costs are way down, due to only one moving part, the shutter. I paid less then a $1000 for my Sony A7 FF 24mp with 28-70 kit lens. The employee discount helped a bunch and they didn't lose money either. The cost of making a conventional DSLR is much higher. It takes all of my lenses with inexpensive adapters and it is small too. Whats not to like. The K5 II is still on hand for birding.
06-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #115
Veteran Member

Mirrorless is the future, I think... for better or worse.

EVF's are good and getting better.

I'll still miss OVF's.
06-20-2014, 01:13 AM   #116
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
Full frame mirrorless is the way to go. If you haven't tried a hi-res EVF, you are really missing something special. Focus peeking with image zoom in the finder is incredible, you even get to see depth of field in real time, before shooting. If you ever tried to view your shots in bright sunlight, you will appreciate viewing them in the EVF. The production costs are way down, due to only one moving part, the shutter. I paid less then a $1000 for my Sony A7 FF 24mp with 28-70 kit lens. The employee discount helped a bunch and they didn't lose money either. The cost of making a conventional DSLR is much higher. It takes all of my lenses with inexpensive adapters and it is small too. Whats not to like. The K5 II is still on hand for birding.
As soon as the electronic shutter technology advances there will be no moving parts (or sound) at all. The A7s already has a silent mode in which it only uses an elecctronic shutter.

Same here though. Got the A7r, but still can't part with my trusty K-5. For action I can't do without that machine-gun setting.
06-20-2014, 04:27 PM   #117

Photos: Albums
I have a sony a7 and owned a canon system previously. (I had to sell my canon gear after a move last year).

My impression is that the a7 with reasonably priced older primes produces great images. I really enjoy manual focusing with the peaking in the viewfinder. I don't care for the EVF in bright sunlight, but I prefer it now to OVF in general. The small size is also great.

That being said, I am going to be getting a k5 iis and DA 300 for wildlife.

I prefer full frame for my general shooting and crop for wildlife or sports. For action shots mirror less still has a ways to go in my opinion.
06-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
Full frame mirrorless is the way to go. If you haven't tried a hi-res EVF, you are really missing something special.
I tried hi-res EVFs; they're nothing special - just a miniature TV centimeters from your eye, now with more pixels.
And yes, I need mirrors; when I'm shaving, when I'm driving (several, in that case), in my camera... the electronic versions just don't work the same
06-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I need mirrors; when I'm shaving, when I'm driving
Yes shaving in the car is a real time saver……...
06-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #120
Pentaxian

Those are separate situation, unless you can think of a way to shave while driving in a camera...