Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will Pentax release a Full Frame Body in 2014?
YES 3139.24%
NO 4860.76%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-1 Speculation

We are a little over 3 months away from Photokina.

Pentax announced the 645z already. The K-3II won't be due for a replacement for 2 years. What's in the bag for Photokina?

Sony has 4 FF bodies (A99, A7, A7r, A7s) A99II is rumored to be announced.
Nikon has 6 FF bodies (Df, D610, D800, D800E, D4, D4s)
Canon has 3 FF bodies (5DIII, 1DX, 6D)

The 70-200 is on the road map and rumor is that the FA Limited lenses are getting updated. Pentax appears to be getting ready to launch a FF body and Photokina is going to be the best time to do it.

The lowest risk option is to match the K-3 specs, but with a FF sensor.
24MP Sony sensor with hardware based AA filter?
14-bit RAW/DNG
Do they keep the 27 AF points and spread them out? Keep them the same? New AF sensor array with more points?
8 fps
1/8000 max shutter
Do they improve the flash system?

Does Pentax take the same wafers used for the 24MP APS-C sensor and produce a 54MP FF sensor? Drop the frame rate down to 4 fps?
Do they go to 36MP with a 16MP APS-C crop mode?

06-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I say they won't.
Don't ask me why.
06-01-2014, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not gonna touch this with a ten-foot Poll.
06-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I believe Pentax will eventually release a FF camera... and I base that on absolutely nothing!

There is really no official info for a constructive discussion.
And when the only info that is available are rumors, there is a little value in such a discussion.

I believe a thread like this isn't bad by itself, it is just too early for such a discussion

P.S. K1 sounds really awesome!

06-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Would a FF be designated as a 'K' model anyway?
Personally I don't think they need to have a FF.
06-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I voted "No". I'm with Steve on this. How many times since becoming a member here have I seen thoughts that Pentax is right on the cusp of launching FF? The economics of FF may change at some point, but I don't see it for several years. For me personally a really good APS-C is about the optimum compromise of cost, convenience, and IQ.

Photokina - hmmmm? Is an option for Pentax (excuse me, make that RICOH) to show up empty-handed? Play up the RICOH products? K-3 is still pretty new, K-50 also. Product life cycles appear to be increasing.
06-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Would a FF be designated as a 'K' model anyway?
I'm sure it would be a K-mount. The 70-200 shown on the road map is a FF lens. With the DA* 60-250 already available, it doesn't make any sense to release a DA* 70-200. I expect the new lens to be a D-FA* 70-200 F/2.8.

---------- Post added 06-01-14 at 04:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Photokina - hmmmm? Is an option for Pentax (excuse me, make that RICOH) to show up empty-handed? Play up the RICOH products? K-3 is still pretty new, K-50 also. Product life cycles appear to be increasing.
Why show up with nothing to show? That's the point of these shows. New products and press coverage. Its pretty expensive to attend these shows, so why bother if you have nothing new?

---------- Post added 06-01-14 at 04:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
I believe a thread like this isn't bad by itself, it is just too early for such a discussion
Its only 3 months away.

06-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I voted yes, because I have two very, very small clues.

First, the repeated declarations of Ricoh representative that they make studies for FF camera.

Second. The time needed for R&D for a lens is smaller than for a camera. Still, Ricoh has launch only one new lens in almost 3 years. The 20-40mm Limited. I didn't count the 560mm 5.6 because this is in fact a telescope with AF. And some new lenses in Pentax system are needed.

So, I think that they focused their research efforts for FF camera and a set of lenses for it, to make a big launch in the near future.
06-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I hope Pentax never relases a FF camera. I had a loaned a friends D610 with the 24-120 lens and it was super-duper heavy. Lugging around such a monster for a wedding or any event is a back breaking experience. Not that I am old but it becomes prohibitive to carry around such a bulky item. And what for? Low light performance? Well cameras like K3,D7100 et all can deliver upto 80% performance of any FF camera for 50% price and weight of the FF gear
Plus Pentax today has one of the most extensive APSC screw driven lens line up on the market. At the coming photokina pentax is gonna annouce successors to K50,K500 and a few DC motor driven lenses.
06-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Best to come in last, that why they have seen where everyone is going. When they come with one, it will be the best FF that any one has come with, at the best price for your hard earned $$$, remember this Pentax we are talking about!
06-01-2014, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Not gonna touch this with a ten-foot Poll.
I see what you did here
06-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I voted no.

Nikon is at a 3 year low in their stock price: Nikon Stock Hits Three Year Low, Prompts Company to Restructure

Yet, they have more FF models out than anyone else, if i counted right So how is that strategy working for Nikon???

I'd rather see Pentax rework some of their zoom lenses for faster focusing speed and start working on some mirrorless plans. Its going to happen sooner or later, i.e. fully competitive mirrorless models. Fuji is headed in the right direction, IMO. For the record i own no Fuji equipment, just Sony and Pentax.
06-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by neil1 Quote
Best to come in last, that why they have seen where everyone is going. When they come with one, it will be the best FF that any one has come with, at the best price for your hard earned $$$, remember this Pentax we are talking about!
Nikon has done a good job of being the test mule with 6 different bodies on the market. I would hope Pentax has been taking notes.
06-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I'm expecting a Pentax K-mount "full frame" DSLR, but not this year. Sorry.
06-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm expecting a Pentax K-mount "full frame" DSLR, but not this year. Sorry.
So, will not be this year. Not bad. At least I have time to raise the money for it.