Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2014, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #76
Veteran Member

I hope/expect that it will be price competitive for the market it is in.

6d : $1600
D800: $3000

06-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unfortunately a new Pentax FF DSLR will be limited to K-mount and M42 lenses. I really like a camera that will accept any lens from any manufacture. It is just a tool and it should be made to be versatile. Pentax needs a FF mirrorless camera with a small flange reference distance. Of course a EVF would be required.
06-21-2014, 11:31 PM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think that if they (Pentax/Ricoh) does it right, they only need to release one FF camera and can make it sell well, and not have 3 or so FF cameras out all at the same time like Canon/Nikon/Sony.
06-22-2014, 02:10 AM - 1 Like   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
Unfortunately a new Pentax FF DSLR will be limited to K-mount and M42 lenses. I really like a camera that will accept any lens from any manufacture. It is just a tool and it should be made to be versatile. Pentax needs a FF mirrorless camera with a small flange reference distance. Of course a EVF would be required.
Nope, Pentax doesn't need that thing. It's you who would like it; that's a huge difference.

Even more, there's a difference between "I would like" and "I would buy"; there are already 3 cameras meeting your requirement (the Sony trio). I'd guess people only caring about using "any lens from any manufacture" would just go for the cheaper one, and we'll be talking about MSRP (Pentax) vs. street prices (Sony) - we already know who would "win"

By the way, I would buy a Pentax "full frame" DSLR, to be used with modern K-mount lenses.

06-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
Yes, i my ideal camera too but we are likely a minority on PF :-)

I'd go a step further and suggest that Pentax build a fully electronic compatible adapter that would go on this new small registration mount, that enable full AF use of existing DA and F lenses. That could either go in a package with the new mirrorless FF, or it could be purchased as an accessory, whatever. Sony has built a total of 4 mount adapters for the E and FE mounts for various lens configurations.

Secondly, its nice that the K3 has focus peaking in it, but they need to upgrade it so one can use peaking and magnify simultaneously and have various colors for peaking to boot. The only thing holding Sony back is its lens selection - still not as good as Pentax IMO.

@Kunzite: I not only would like the camera that Big Dave described, but would buy it as well. I'm not interested in buying a Pentax FF that shoots only Pentax lenses, If thats my only choice, then i'll simply buy the next generation A7 or similar. No big deal in changing systems, the image is the thing that matters to me.

Last edited by philbaum; 06-22-2014 at 12:16 PM.
06-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
@Kunzite: I not only would like the camera that Big Dave described, but would buy it as well. I'm not interested in buying a Pentax FF that shoots only Pentax lenses, If thats my only choice, then i'll simply buy the next generation A7 or similar. No big deal in changing systems, the image is the thing that matters to me.
I agree, but for most of the Pentax apologists on the board the only thing that matters is that is says Pentax on it.
06-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #82
Veteran Member

I'd go a step further and suggest that Pentax build a fully electronic compatible adapter that would go on this new small registration mount, that enable full AF use of existing DA and F lenses.
The more electronics we put into lenses, the harder it will be to mix and match systems. IMO, lenses should just be glass, not computers in their own right.

No big deal in changing systems
It is most definitely a big deal when you have a large investment in glass!

06-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #83
Pentaxian

I understand and accept that not everyone has the same preferences as me.
But think about this: Pentax is a SLR brand. And, with their user base (naturally) formed from SLR users, with the SLR market still several times the size of the MILC one (yet with fewer camera makers) - how would you justify this change of direction? Why should Pentax go MILC, when that market is already well-covered?
When someone's preferences changed, it makes no sense to ask for an entire company to follow them. Usually, that someone should look to another brand, one that makes the products he now want.

By the way, I'd say for most people with some modern K-mount lenses and a liking to Pentax DSLRs, changing systems is a big deal. If we'd have to change systems because Pentax would go MILC, for sure not everyone would stay with Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I agree, but for most of the Pentax apologists on the board the only thing that matters is that is says Pentax on it.
I'm glad you understand; indeed, what I care about are true Pentax products - the kind of cameras and lenses only Pentax is making - as opposed to products carrying the Pentax label. I would not want a "Pentax" A7, otherwise I'd have the original. I don't care as much about the ability of using non-Pentax lenses, because I'm so fond of my Limiteds. But others are asking exactly for this, they want Sony, Olympus, Fuji, Samsung, Kodak clones labeled Pentax, because it's the label that matters

Last edited by Kunzite; 06-22-2014 at 02:18 PM.
06-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #84

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Hmm, maybe for some. I bought the K1 because it was a great camera for the money, and I bought the K3 because it was a beast (which it is!). And I bought them both for the K mount. There are only a few mounts I'd commit to at this point—mounts with a history and a contemporary presence—and the K mount is one of them. With the rapid advances in camera bodies, the mount is the most critical decision in buying a camera body. In three years, any camera body you have will be greatly outstripped by a newer camera in the same market sector (or whatever that market has become). The lenses you have, however, will probably be compatible for quite a while. A Pentax FA from the mid 90s is still fully functional on a new camera. Personally, if I don't want the mount, I won't want the camera. It doesn't matter to me if it says Pentax on it. On the flip side, if it is a camera I want, I don't care what it's called. How about Ricoh?
06-23-2014, 03:34 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by easyreeder Quote
Hmm, maybe for some. I bought the K1 because it was a great camera for the money, and I bought the K3 because it was a beast (which it is!). And I bought them both for the K mount. There are only a few mounts I'd commit to at this point—mounts with a history and a contemporary presence—and the K mount is one of them. With the rapid advances in camera bodies, the mount is the most critical decision in buying a camera body. In three years, any camera body you have will be greatly outstripped by a newer camera in the same market sector (or whatever that market has become). The lenses you have, however, will probably be compatible for quite a while. A Pentax FA from the mid 90s is still fully functional on a new camera. Personally, if I don't want the mount, I won't want the camera. It doesn't matter to me if it says Pentax on it. On the flip side, if it is a camera I want, I don't care what it's called. How about Ricoh?
I agree... So what if the mount is exactly the thing that's holding back those rapid advances? Remember the K-01 was a giant amongst the mirrorless cameras, with its empty useless mirrorbox.
06-23-2014, 05:23 AM   #86

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
So what if the mount is exactly the thing that's holding back those rapid advances? Remember the K-01 was a giant amongst the mirrorless cameras, with its empty useless mirrorbox.
Ha, do I detect a bit of sarcasm? Sony found a solution. The K1 also had in camera image stabilization. I don't mind a bigger mirrorless if it has more functions and controls. I do like the K1, but I can see the argument that it was the worst of two worlds: too much mirroless and not enough DSLR. The K Mount may have posed a design problem, but it was also the only reason to make the camera. Maybe you're right on the mirrorless though. Some kind of Sony A Mount / E Mount situation?

Last edited by easyreeder; 06-23-2014 at 08:21 AM.
06-23-2014, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #87
Pentaxian

I don't believe that "rapid advances" means "mirrorless"; that sounds too much like hype.

For a SLR mount, the K-mount is no more restricting than Nikon's F mount... while in theory a larger diameter, electronic mount would be preferable, backwards compatibility is far more important - and the mount is working quite well. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

The K-01 was... interesting. It was supposed to have its own line of modified-K-mount lenses, that would protrude inside the mount (at least, they had a prototype). It appears to me they just couldn't afford to put much effort behind it, perhaps Hoya wasn't convinced by the project?
06-23-2014, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by easyreeder Quote
Some kind of Sony A Mount / E Mount situation?
Ugh. With adapters that are bulky, ugly and expensive if you want AF.

Seriously, if Pentax went both mirrorless AND dropped the K-mount in any new camera (let alone a new FF), people would leave the brand in droves. Suddenly you may as well have a Sony or something.
06-23-2014, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #89
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The more I think about it, the more a K-3 with a FF sensor just makes sense. That and a 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 lenses and we're good for a launch.
Who says Pentax needs to have a complete system when it comes out. Get the basics out first. Rename some DA primes to DFA (55 1.4, 100 2.8, 300 4), re-release some classics like the 20/2.8, 24/2, 28/2.8, 35/2, and the 85 1.4 (haters are gonna hate, who cares) with HD coatings and we're good! Maybe even re-release the 50 1.2 as a manual focus, A-setting lens with the latest and greatest coatings, sell it for $1,000 and call it a Zeiss alternative

But I can't help but question if Ricoh is in it for the long haul, lots of stuff has ceased with no replacements yet, like K-01, K-500 (reportedly out of production for a while now), MX-1... that leaves K-3, K-50 and 645Z.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 06-23-2014 at 10:35 AM.
06-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Ugh. With adapters that are bulky, ugly and expensive if you want AF.

Seriously, if Pentax went both mirrorless AND dropped the K-mount in any new camera (let alone a new FF), people would leave the brand in droves. Suddenly you may as well have a Sony or something.
A macro-tube-able K-mount (with screwdrive and aperture levers in the same place as the K-mount, but with registration distance decreased substantially) would maintain almost all the benefits of mirrorless (only negative is the aperture lever) while maintaining backwards compatibility.