Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2014, 05:53 AM   #31

This topic reminds me of a famous quote by Winston Churchill:

"Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but usually manages to pick himself up, walk over or around it, and carry on."

R

06-16-2014, 06:08 AM   #32
Pentaxian

"What is truth?"
06-16-2014, 06:39 AM   #33

The "truth" is that some people are "believers" by "nature" and don't care for technicalities, more so if they question their "beliefs"…"Eppur si muove".

R
06-16-2014, 07:06 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Is that really The Truth, or your truth?

"Understanding is like a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth".

06-16-2014, 07:20 AM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That graph says nothing about SNR, and what on Earth is "the best DOF possible"?
It seems like you read half of my post. Which 2 or 3 cameras should I investigate further?

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And I can't help but notice how such "equivalence uses" are somewhat disconnected from photography. Talking about SNR, not about e.g. "acceptable noise levels and quality even in low light". Would you like a camera with better SNR but visible banding?
It seems like you read half of my post. Which 2 or 3 cameras should I investigate further?

---------- Post added 06-16-14 at 07:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Does this graph mention SNR?

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Based on equivalence, most of them are running at f8 on the long end, where, in my opinion, you really need the faster aperture.
At the short end there's a difference of two stops, and at the long end there's a difference of four stops. It seems as if you've already been able to exclude some cameras!!! How did you exclude them from the comparison?

For the record, there were two cameras at about f/8, three cameras at about f/11, and one camera at about f/22.
06-16-2014, 07:47 AM   #36
Pentaxian

From that chart, you cannot know which 2 or 3 cameras you should investigate further, investigate further, investigate further. If SNR measurements are so important, I would suggest you should go to DXOMark and select the first 2 or 3 entries.
I would also recommend to go with larger sensor-equipped cameras as potential candidates.
06-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote

---------- Post added 06-16-14 at 07:20 AM ----------

At the short end there's a difference of two stops, and at the long end there's a difference of four stops. It seems as if you've already been able to exclude some cameras!!! How did you exclude them from the comparison?

For the record, there were two cameras at about f/8, three cameras at about f/11, and one camera at about f/22.
In the end, the only thing these graphs do is explain why point and shoots aren't usable in low light. None of them probably is going to be usable over iso 400 and f8 is a tough place to be shooting (wide open). So you'll use flash and at that point, it doesn't really matter. Depth of field is going to be really high with all of these as well.

I just don't think equivalence separates these cameras a whole lot.

I don't know. I don't even think it makes a whole lot of sense to beat yourself up over DXO Mark scores, or MTF scores or things like that. They do give some information, but it just doesn't feel like it is that useful information with regard to the real art of photography.
06-16-2014, 08:07 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The truth is, we are not wading through this mud hole again!
I closed the other two threads on the same subject for a reason. The same reason I'm closing this one. You guys refuse to keep it civil. "you're wrong, no you're wrong" Oh yeah?! Yeah! You can't read, no you can't read...........................

Last edited by Parallax; 06-16-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Closed Thread