Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2014, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Full frame comments

This forum must be up there with discussions of Bigfoot for number of comments on something that does not exist.

07-03-2014, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Impressive, isn't it? But imagine how many posts it would get it Pentax actually release a full-frame camera!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-03-2014, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Impressive, isn't it? But imagine how many posts it would get it Pentax actually release a full-frame camera!
And they should. I decided not to wait any longer and got a Sony A7r just this week, quite a different beast then the Pentax FF would have been, but still: FF.
Ever since stepping into digital I have had the experience of 28mm lens on a 35mm film camera in the back of my mind. FF is simply different and the IQ is tremendous on top of that.
I really don't know if it would be a commercial success, but it's just an essential part of the catalogue of a serious camera brand.

Chris
07-03-2014, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
it's just an essential part of the catalogue of a serious camera brand.
Nah, if Pentax wants to get serious, they can't accept anything less than Medium Format. Oh wait...

07-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I got to handle an A7 and A7R while on a trip to the Grand Tetons. Didn't have a Pentax adapter to try my lenses, but the image files were amazing. The EVF was much better than I thought it would be as well. I'm holding out till October but may pick one up barring a surprise from Pentax.
07-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
This forum must be up there with discussions of Bigfoot for number of comments on something that does not exist.
I missed the news story: when is Bigfoot being released?
07-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just missed it: Sasquatch Brewfest in Eugene, Oregon presented by the Northwest Legends Foundation

07-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I missed the news story: when is Bigfoot being released?
Bigfoot will be a flop if released. Canon and Nikon are putting all their efforts into Sasquatch, but the smart money knows the Loch Ness monster is the real future.
07-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just missed it: Sasquatch Brewfest in Eugene, Oregon presented by the Northwest Legends Foundation
I'd wager some of them even saw him before the day was over!
07-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Impressive, isn't it?
I do hope that, after all the recent years of a Pentax FF being enthusiastically discussed here and elsewhere, that some marketing or product development exec in Ricoh sees all this online activity, has a 'lightbulb over the head' moment, and realises that Ricoh may have an opportunity to make a product that lots of people will want to buy, and they can charge good money for. Maybe that's a forlorn hope.

The amount of discussion and enthusiasm before, during and after the Theta launch must measure about zero, yet they made one, and it wasn't cheap. Meanwhile, on FF, it's been a stony silence and inertia for years, despite significant, prolonged user interest in FF. Very very puzzling.
07-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Even Bigfoot already has a full frame.
07-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Even Bigfoot already has a full frame.
No, I think he is Large Format...............
07-03-2014, 04:42 PM - 6 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bigfoot, and photography

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
I have a Bigfoot story, of sorts, twice-removed though...

There was an anthropology professor where I went to school named Tim Dunnigan. I once saw Tim give a lecture where he mentioned that the idea of a species of large hominid living unseen in remote areas of the world today wasn't actually that impossible - but what was far-fetched was that we would find no fossil evidence of this species.

As he put it, and I'm paraphrasing from memory, "For this to be true, this creature would have to be relatively intelligent and in combination with that have evolved a unique hiding skill - to remain absolutely motionless when other hominids are present and in line of sight (like Neandertal or Cro Magnon or Homo Sapiens Sapiens) and to be able to find places to hide and live in the wilderness that are free from this other-hominid traffic. If it evolved these skills and attributes over hundreds of thousands or millions of years - it could remain hidden indefinitely, right up to modern times. The problem is that it's bones can't do this intelligent, instinctual, active hiding - and we would have found some bones by now, and carbon-dated them to near this era. We haven't done that."

He then said, "but...... If these hominids had developed a rudimentary burial mythology - or even an instinctual, non-abstract burial practice - in which the dead bodies are gathered into something like a cave, chamber or hidden crevice in each localized area they inhabit - we may never find those bones either."

He went on to describe the following account given by a CCC-employed surveyor from the 1930's:

The surveyor was walking down a loose shale slope by Black Peak in Washington state. The slope was extremely dangerous, with the face made up almost entirely of broken pieces of shale, leading all the way to a precipice. He moved very carefully and extremely slowly down the slope until he got to the cliff, which looked down on a small creek gorge - the creek came out of the mountain to his right, and the gorge formed a tight curl, where the inner part of the curl was completely unviewable from the creek bed below or the slope he was on, and there was no opposing slope that could provide a vista into the curl of the gorge.

As he got to the precipice and set up his Abney level, he noticed that the precipice itself formed a small shelf about two feet deep. It curled around the edge of the gorge - and was free of the loose shale.

He left the level in position and proceeded to walk along this precipice, to where it followed the curl. As he moved around the bend of the slope, with a vertical shale cliff on his right and a long drop to his left, the gorge opened up and he could see what was there - a level plateau in the side of the mountain, broken in half by the stream which then plunged down into the gorge below. The plateau was hidden from the top of the mountain by stands of forest, from below by the bend of the gorge and a treeline that stood in front of the plateau from a level area below. It was a completely hidden area - and he was sure no-one living had seen it before, because he knew it was unmapped, and the danger of that shale slope would have kept any casual hikers - and probably, indians, natives before them - from making such a foolish hike.

He was about 150 yards from the plateau. The plateau itself was perhaps 20 yards deep, and about 200 yards long, with grasses, a few large grey dead tree trunks and what looked like some depressions or perhaps caves in the shale wall facing the plateau... But he wasn't able to get a good description of the depressions, because as he was looking at them, one of the large grey tree trunks moved.

He realized that he had been looking right at a bear, and didn't recognize it as such. Then, as he described it: "I knew it wasn't a bear when I saw them all start to walk."

They began to move quickly without running behind a stand of trees that intersected the plateau - there was an open area behind the trees, but he couldn't see it from where he stood. He described them as "large, grey people, four or five. They had people faces and eyes but they were not people."

As they were walking out of his view he had turned and quickly began to make his way back - later describing a sense of panic. He looked over his shoulder several times to see if he was being pursued, but they had moved out of sight. He couldn't tell where, exactly, they had gone.

As he turned back to move to the shale slope, he immediately saw another one of the creatures about five yards in front of him, barring his exit onto the slope. He was terror stricken, and described looking in that instant for a place to jump off the precipice where he might be able to land on a tree below...

As he stood, shaking, the creature opened it's lips and mouth, and uttered a gutteral sound that sounded like the word, "Smile."

It then hit the shutter of the Pentax MZ-D it was holding at it's waist, and took his picture.

It's said that the man never recovered from that experience... and, to this day, waits for that prototype MZ-D to make it's way out of the hidden forest, in one evolved form or another... so Homo Sapiens Sapiens can use it as well.

07-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did everyone forget the easter bunny? He will bring the FF camera in basket.
07-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm happy there's no Pentax FF. That way there's more speculation.