Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do I have the money ?
Not really if it were this year. When Photokina 2014 is on (16-21 Sept), I will have already spent that money on my holidays in the UK / France - I will be out taking pictures

Do I have the Lenses ?
Well FA31, FA43, DA70(works?), 100macro, FA135 & DA*300 so am lacking something on the wider end, and any zoom for that matter.
How about FA20 / 2.8 ? or FA20-35 /4 both of which you'd expect to be pretty impossible to find if FF was announced without any new FF wide lenses.

Do I have the need ?
Nope, not really but that hasn't stopped me before. we'll have to wait and see

Would I want it?
Of course.

07-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If I was Ricoh I wouldn't... I mean if everyone can just use their large collection of Full Frameable DA lenses, how are we (Ricoh) going to sell them new lenses? That is where we're making money. Otherwise we're just selling a camera body and that is all. where is the fun (read: money) in that? hehehe

I mean if I can use my plastic DA 35 f/2.4, DA 50 f/1.8, and 105 f/2.8 macro lenses on this potential digital FF body in FF mode.. then I'm not buying any new lenses from Pentax for awhile.. you posted a much more impressive array of lenses in anticipation. We're not doing Ricoh many favors here doing so.

This is something I've thought about too but, they can always list these lenses (as well as FA, F, M, A M42 or any non Pentax DFA) as incompatible and remove things like distortion correction and CA correction for them from the firmware. One can still get the shot but would have to sort it out in post, the convinience of new lenses with new features (distortion control, CA control, Sharpness etc) would keep a steady line marching to the Pentax lens counter. It would serve them to ensure a crop mode on a FF camera though, it would serve as an upgrade path for the financially circumspect or cautious amongst us.
07-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ready?
I have the dough and these great classic Pentax glasses which I still use (but can't utilize their full potential)... If I have a digital Pentax full frame, I would still be buying all the modern Pentax HD glasses I need and want...

Left to right are: A 28mm f/2.8, M 50mm f/1.4, M 85mm f/2, K 135mm f/2.5, A 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro
I would like to replace all these lenses with modern and HD versions, and I would like it to be WR too...

Last edited by richard balonglong; 07-23-2014 at 11:00 AM.
07-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Lenses and bodies drive sales of each other. It's a virtuous circle (or a vicious circle, if you look at it from the point of view of your wallet).

If Pentax released some great new FF lenses, people would buy a camera body able to make full use of them. If Pentax released a great new FF body, people would buy new FF lenses to take advantage of the capabilties of the new body.

07-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #50

I am totally ready for the FF to come out...and have been since 2008. Can't remember that last time I waited 6 years for a piece of tech. There have been 3 or 4 times where we (my wife and I) have thought about switching over to Canon but then a new Pentax body comes out and we stay. First the K5, then K5II and K5IIs and recently the K3. Yep we keep updating. Even ventured to use the K5II and K3 in video production for my company on a few shoots, but have pretty much abandoned that approach since buying an adaptor that allows us to use Pentax glass on Panasonic GH4 bodies. Still, if the Pentax FF came out I am sure we would get it for the wedding photography business..It would be a miracle if it had comparable setup on the video side like the Panasonic GH4 or Sony A7s.

Last edited by Parallax; 07-24-2014 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Multiple personal links removed
07-25-2014, 01:58 AM - 2 Likes   #51
Pentaxian

Someone ask me again, whether I'm ready for FF...

Name:  FA-Limiteds.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  187.7 KB

Last edited by Class A; 07-25-2014 at 02:08 AM.
07-25-2014, 03:44 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
But if any new FF came out only in black (or gunmetal), looks like you will have to turn it down. Or get out the spray paint.

07-25-2014, 03:51 AM   #53
Banned

Maybe that's why we never get a full frame. No lenses are expected to be sold to customers.
07-25-2014, 04:13 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But if any new FF came out only in black (or gunmetal), looks like you will have to turn it down. Or get out the spray paint.
I think a silver lens goes really well together with a black body.

A silver lens on a "silver" (never looks real to me) body is too much for me personally.
07-25-2014, 04:16 AM   #55
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Do you have money? Do you have lenses?
Yes and yes (provided the K lens mount is still in use).

What a joy it would be, to have the lenses do what they used to do, back in the good old days.
07-25-2014, 04:22 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Maybe that's why we never get a full frame. No lenses are expected to be sold to customers.
You have a point, but my collection is not complete in terms of zooms and I'm not buying the Sigma 18-35/1.8 even though it is a terrific lens because it is an APS-C lens only.

In other words, I'm in the market for FF-zooms and if Pentax will be offering high-quality zooms with reasonable pricing, I'm interested. Primes are great for many applications, but for some applications zooms are better.

Other counterarguments to your statement include:
  • not everyone has a complete collection of FF lenses yet.
  • Pentax earns money by selling cameras as well.
  • People accumulate complete APS-C lens line-ups over time as well. This is not an FF-only challenge.
  • People may leave Pentax for other brands, if all that Pentax offers between a K-3 and a 645Z is a big gaping hole.
  • People may never become Pentax users in the first place, if they are told that there is no upgrade path.
  • Pentax will find it very hard to sell high-end APS-C bodies in the future, given there is pressure from below (highly specced entry level DSLRs) and above (budget FF).
I'm sure the list can be continued...
07-25-2014, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

I think a silver lens goes really well together with a black body.
correct

and

Last edited by Transit; 07-25-2014 at 05:10 AM.
07-25-2014, 05:24 AM   #58
Veteran Member

I don't have many lenses, but most are FF compatible. For me its more of a question of functions and need. If the new camera would really provide something new that I wanted.. but I don't have a plan to upgrade this year, so it would really have to be spectacular. And simply being FF is not enough, for me
07-25-2014, 05:25 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If I was Ricoh I wouldn't... I mean if everyone can just use their large collection of Full Frameable DA lenses, how are we (Ricoh) going to sell them new lenses? That is where we're making money. Otherwise we're just selling a camera body and that is all. where is the fun (read: money) in that? hehehe

I mean if I can use my plastic DA 35 f/2.4, DA 50 f/1.8, and 105 f/2.8 macro lenses on this potential digital FF body in FF mode.. then I'm not buying any new lenses from Pentax for awhile.. you posted a much more impressive array of lenses in anticipation. We're not doing Ricoh many favors here doing so.
Good point. I once met a guy with 42 50mm lenses, 62 35mm lenses, 23 85mm, and so on... He ensured me he wasn't the only one. He knew several personally with which he traded, and many more online. I even wonder how many of such people have collected such amounts just for the purpose of selling them when that PK-FF-DSLR finally arrives. You know, those are the ones that go into a frantic seizure when they hear the words "mount change".
09-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What FF?

I recently figured out I wouldn't have bought it anyway.