Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hahahahahaha im lovin it you guys

07-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Perhaps 11x14 sheet film shooters may take exception to that. I have never seen a camera manufacture sell a 10x8 or 5x4 camera and I have never seen sheet film for sale in the 10x8 or 5x4 size from the manufacturer. Have you? So why are you trying to redefine 4x5 and 8x10?
HA! I bet he's left handed... we always see things reversed..
07-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #18
Site Supporter

A friend and professional photographer recently told me the best investment he ever made in photography was the Scott Kelby videos on post processing. I started working thru these and am learning a hell of a lot I wish I'd known a long time ago, things that no camera could have helped me thru. It's definitely changed how I think about gear. Your take on it I think is pretty close. Some could take a FF camera and actually do things they can't with APSC. I'm not one of those yet, but hope to be one day. Still too much to learn for now, and my guess is that many who want FF are like me.
07-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Perhaps 11x14 sheet film shooters may take exception to that. I have never seen a camera manufacture sell a 10x8 or 5x4 camera and I have never seen sheet film for sale in the 10x8 or 5x4 size from the manufacturer. Have you? So why are you trying to redefine 4x5 and 8x10?
11X14 are just shy of full frame, our IAMS pinhole camera can take 14X17 and perhaps even larger. And the dog model of IAMS would likely take two sheets of 14X17. They are single shot cameras and you have to unload the cat or dog food first

07-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think some folks feel FF is needed as a competitive thing.
I feel that. I've come across teenagers locally at gigs shooting full-frame - one girl recently upgraded to a D600 (after only having a camera for a year), and I've seen another local teen photog now using a D800. Shooting alongside them sometimes at gigs, their easy access to such camera upgrades has triggered some frustration in me as a Pentax shooter, I must confess.
07-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

What does it matter that these people have a full size 36mm sensor camera.

The images are the product of the photographer not the camera.

Thy will be producing rubbish compared to your images, and blaming the camera.

A good photographer doesn't need good equipment to produce great images, it just makes his task easier.

A bad photographer produces trash whatever he has.

As ive often said, if you want to upgrade and produce better images, upgrade the photographer not the equipment.

In other words learn to take better pictures.
07-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wilton, I agree with your original post pretty much 100%... It's not a need for me. The APS-C sensor renders beautifully, I don't print anything, and I'm not a stickler against digital noise. There's really no reason that I need a full-frame.

However, I have found myself in love with the hobby, and when my K-30 dies (hopefully years and years from now!) I will buy whatever top-of-the-line K-mount is available, because having a fine picture-taking machine is valuable to me. I don't care if it's "full-frame" or APS-C, I've proven to myself that it's a hobby that's worth my time and money.

---------- Post added 07-22-14 at 05:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I feel that. I've come across teenagers locally at gigs shooting full-frame - one girl recently upgraded to a D600 (after only having a camera for a year), and I've seen another local teen photog now using a D800. Shooting alongside them sometimes at gigs, their easy access to such camera upgrades has triggered some frustration in me as a Pentax shooter, I must confess.
I pretty much want nothing to do with what a teenage girl thinks is cool.
07-22-2014, 03:48 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
The images are the product of the photographer not the camera.
Thy will be producing rubbish compared to your images, and blaming the camera.
A good photographer doesn't need good equipment to produce great images, it just makes his task easier.
I know, I know, I know. But it's hard to fight that feeling. It's the same sort of social anxiety one might get from being poor but hanging around with rich friends.

07-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
A Civic? Pure luxury. I drive a Fit.
Then you only need a "Q"
07-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Then you only need a "Q"
Q7 is the new medium format

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 07-22-2014 at 07:53 PM.
07-23-2014, 05:44 AM   #26
Banned

Full Frame? what a worthless and pointless expression.

There is only one Full Frame camera that's a 10x8 sheet film camera.

Any other camera including my 5x4 Large Format camera, my 6x6 TLR, my 35mm miniature camera, yes that's the name for a 35mm film camera a miniature camera, my digital aps camera, and my digital point and shoot. These are all small frame cameras or miniature or sub miniature cameras.

Pentax make a range of digital cameras none of which come close to 10 inches by 8 inches in sensor size and nobody will ever make a 10 inch by 8 inch digital sensor, so lets stop using this ridiculous and misleading description of "Full Frame".

Pentax make a high resolution digital camera and its larger than "Full Frame" 36mmx24mm, but not by much.

Whats that you say, larger than Full Frame, how can that be? Full Frame means as big as you can get doesn't it, it must be a Over-Full Frame to be bigger than Full, or shall we call a 645D sensor a Full Frame and a 36x24 sensor a Nearly Full Frame.

Or should 645D or 645Z users go down to a smaller sensor to move up to using Full Frame.

If you want a large sensor buy a 645D and stop pining for a smaller more crappy less capable "Full Frame" sensor.

Ive decided to call a Fiat 500 a Full Speed automobile, and all USA made vehicles shall no longer be proper automobiles, as the Fiat is a full speed vehicle, the faster USA vehicles are merely Over -Speed vehicles and can be ignored.
Then what do you call an 11x14 view camera ?
Kodak 11 x 14" Portra 160 Color Film (10 Sheets) B&H Photo

Or a 20x24" view camera ?
07-23-2014, 06:15 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I want a FF with Pentax ergonomics, so I can still use my FA/DA* lenses in autofocus mode; not just any FF...
07-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

90% of the people using Pentax don't need a FF body. They don't even need APS-C. M4/3 would be more than enough or even a bridge camera.
07-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As ive often said, if you want to upgrade and produce better images, upgrade the photographer not the equipment..
The resale value of a used photographer is far too low to change now. I'm afraid I'm stuck with me until I win the lottery
07-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
90% of the people using Pentax don't need a FF body. They don't even need APS-C. M4/3 would be more than enough or even a bridge camera.
A cell phone camera is enough, with a thumb over one half of the sensor.

---------- Post added 07-23-14 at 08:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
The resale value of a used photographer is far too low to change now. I'm afraid I'm stuck with me until I win the lottery

$0.50/lb down at the knacker's. I suggest lots of cheese.