Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2014, 10:43 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax FF plans stolen!

Revealed today on New Camera News, it looks like there will be a significant delay to the introduction of a Pentax FF camera:

SHOCKER! Aliens Eat Pentax Full Frame Cameras! | New Camera News

07-29-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
Banned

Haha.

That story couldn't be true, because they actually provided a reason for not having a full-frame camera!
07-29-2014, 11:16 PM - 6 Likes   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

All I'm going to say is the longer Pentax waits, the less exciting/successful their full-frame launch will be. If they decide not to pursue full-frame they should at least make it clear to their (loyal) customers.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-30-2014, 12:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

They should also make it clear that they will never release a camera with a 12cm by 1cm super-panoramic sensor, nor a 8x10 large format digital bellows camera.

Anything else Ricoh should make clear that they will not release ever?

07-30-2014, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
All I'm going to say is the longer Pentax waits, the less exciting/successful their full-frame launch will be. If they decide not to pursue full-frame they should at least make it clear to their (loyal) customers.
Can't you help us put this strong message across to Pentax during Photokina when Pentax Forums has the interview with them?

I mean.. its been many years of laughter and avoidance as an answer.
07-30-2014, 12:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm not sure about the aliens, but I'm quite sure that there's no such thing as a Pentax FF.
07-30-2014, 03:42 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know that this is true - especially since they used John Carlson's picture. It would have been better to have used the punchline - My dog ate the plans...

07-30-2014, 03:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Pentax need to hire Kirk!

07-30-2014, 03:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Yeh, the cult of secrecy is a cop out. However, Ricoh/Pentax should be given credit for the 645Z, which likely surpasses anything from Canon or Nikon.
07-30-2014, 04:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax is doomed!
07-30-2014, 05:01 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I'm with Adam on this one. With the Nikon and Sony both releasing.. 24MP entry cameras, 12 and 16 Mp high Sensitivity cameras, and 36 Mp High Res cameras... what? Now Pentax is going to release one FF? They'll still be two offerings short in the FF market.

I honestly don't understand why they haven't released a relatively barebones utilitarian K-3 guts with an FF sensor, just so folks can make use of the expensive FF glass Pentax still sells.

It would be unique...
K-mount
Selectable AA filter
Built in SR

The only thing I can think is their market share has gotten so small, and the competition offers so much more, their marketing department doesn't believe they can sell enough to recoup production costs.

The other possibility is, like myself, they just don't believe there is enough difference between APS-c and FF to justify the expense. The 645D and z have sensors double the physical size of the APS-c Pentax offerings, and in photographic terms, doubling the sensor size makes much more sense than a 1.5 increase. I know, with all the clamour, it's pretty far fetched, that they could actually think that way... but, a couple years ago, my question to a Pentax rep about an FF ended with a 645D being pushed into my hands. If that's their logic, you have to admire (or despise) the way they've stuck to their plan. By that logic, their next release should be 66x44, not 36x24. They could call it a 67z or something like that.
07-30-2014, 06:06 AM   #12

The difference between FF lenses and APS-C lenses is huge when comparing wideangles, in the longer end there is not so much difference.
I mostly use lenses with 20-28mm ff comparable focal lengths and very seldom longer than 100mm.
Pentax have a lot of nice lenses between 20mm and 100mm, so to get them to full usage would be worth to think more seriously by Ricoh, I could sell my LX, K2, KX, Spotmatic and other film bodies to get money for the new FF DSLR ;D
07-30-2014, 06:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I mostly use lenses with 20-28mm ff comparable focal lengths and very seldom longer than 100mm.
That makes you an excellent candidate for FF. The strength of APS-c is not wide angle.

QuoteOriginally posted by markku55 Quote
in the longer end there is not so much difference.
Wo... now you lost me. A 400mm lens on a K-3 gives you the same reach as a 600mm lens on a D610, how is that "not so much difference?"
07-30-2014, 06:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Wo... now you lost me. A 400mm lens on a K-3 gives you the same reach as a 600mm lens on a D610, how is that "not so much difference?"
Well, that is a question of pixel density and not sensor size.
07-30-2014, 06:35 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Well, that is a question of pixel density and not sensor size.
Ya, but practically, that's pretty much irrelevant, since K-3 pixel density is not available on an FF. The fact that an FF with the same pixel density would have the same reach, but more of it, will only become relevant when one becomes available. For right now, it's a theoretical concept with no practical application.

I could also say my wide angle needs are met by my Sigma 8-16 and DA 10-17, but I wouldn't want to muddy the waters with statements that would lead people to believe equivalence exists as more than an extremely imperfect guideline. I do find it annoying when people imply an FF can outperform an APS-c in the short end, but ignore the APS-c advantage in the long end. In real life, often when you get something, you lose something else something else.

Again, these are practical not theoretical limitations. You can discuss what's theoretically possible until you're blue in the face, and not learn single useful piece of information.

Last edited by normhead; 07-30-2014 at 06:44 AM.