Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2014, 06:36 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe Ricoh's marketing vision starts and ends within Japan. Obviously their goal is to make money and possibly they make way more money selling their mirrorless cameras than their DSLR's? Maybe their marketing folks aren't photographers or camera buffs but copier folks??

07-30-2014, 06:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Maybe Ricoh's marketing vision starts and ends within Japan. Obviously their goal is to make money and possibly they make way more money selling their mirrorless cameras than their DSLR's? Maybe their marketing folks aren't photographers or camera buffs but copier folks??
Possibly.... maybe.... quit being so wishy washy, what are you trying to say?
07-30-2014, 07:01 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Possibly.... maybe.... quit being so wishy washy, what are you trying to say?
Ah well... I'm neither hot or cold on a full frame camera. I'd be happy for those who desire it but for me I'll probably never master or surpass the capabilities of the K3. And Ricoh does come out with some very nice products for which I'm grateful but I get the feeling that Pentax is a tiny little piece of their operation and that it could disappear in a flash.
07-30-2014, 07:08 AM   #19
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well however funny also a little embarassing.

07-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Wo... now you lost me. A 400mm lens on a K-3 gives you the same reach as a 600mm lens on a D610, how is that "not so much difference?"
He's right if he's talking about lens design, as the image circle of longer lenses is more likely to cover both APS and FF.
07-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #21
Veteran Member

it's OK.

FUJI is spending money hiring Pros to tell consumer that they "Don't need FF".
Ricoh is smart.

Ricoh FF GR is more realistic than Pentax FF DSLR.
07-30-2014, 08:56 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
He's right if he's talking about lens design, as the image circle of longer lenses is more likely to cover both APS and FF.
How does that change the fact that you use a 400mm lens on a K-3 to get what you would with a 600mm lens on a D610? Regardless of the image circle, the 600mm lens is still huge and a lot more expensive.

Last edited by normhead; 07-30-2014 at 09:03 AM.
07-30-2014, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Ya, but practically, that's pretty much irrelevant, since K-3 pixel density is not available on an FF. The fact that an FF with the same pixel density would have the same reach, but more of it, will only become relevant when one becomes available. For right now, it's a theoretical concept with no practical application.
So true. Even on a 36mp d800, the DX crop mode is a paltry 15mp. That's good enough for posting to Facebook, and even then you're pushing it.
07-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Ya, but practically, that's pretty much irrelevant, since K-3 pixel density is not available on an FF. The fact that an FF with the same pixel density would have the same reach, but more of it, will only become relevant when one becomes available. For right now, it's a theoretical concept with no practical application.

I could also say my wide angle needs are met by my Sigma 8-16 and DA 10-17, but I wouldn't want to muddy the waters with statements that would lead people to believe equivalence exists as more than an extremely imperfect guideline. I do find it annoying when people imply an FF can outperform an APS-c in the short end, but ignore the APS-c advantage in the long end. In real life, often when you get something, you lose something else something else.

Again, these are practical not theoretical limitations. You can discuss what's theoretically possible until you're blue in the face, and not learn single useful piece of information.
Well, the gap is pretty close and for quite a while D800 had a crop mode roughly equal to what Pentax flagship brought. That is why the tele side is harder to make statements for than the wide end.
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Ricoh FF GR is more realistic than Pentax FF DSLR.
Well, Sony tested the waters with the RX1. The fixed lens road is safer as you don't have to gamble a complete system.
07-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #25
Veteran Member

How does that change the fact that you use a 400mm lens on a K-3 to get what you would with a 600mm lens on a D610? Regardless of the image circle, the 600mm lens is still huge and a lot more expensive.
It doesn't. I wasn't disagreeing with you, just pointing out that the OP may have been referencing something other than 'reach'. But, since we're here, that 400mm lens doesn't give you the same depth compression that a true 600mm lens would, so it's not really an apples to apples comparison.
07-30-2014, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

The plans were delicious.

Buuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrp.
07-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The plans were delicious.

Buuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrp.
I knew there were FF Alien trolls on the boards!
07-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I don't know how those secretive people from Ricoh are felling if they are reading this article, but I, as a Pentax user, I don't laugh. And I can't blame NCN for this.

And I remember what those Ricoh people saying, that they will have a complete line of cameras. I hope that they remember too.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 07-31-2014 at 03:19 AM.
07-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
So true. Even on a 36mp d800, the DX crop mode is a paltry 15mp. That's good enough for posting to Facebook, and even then you're pushing it.
Indeed. It's pretty much the exact same output the K-5 was capable of, and we all know you can't get good results from that camera
07-31-2014, 12:47 AM   #30

Because the "100% K-3 crops" are so worth posting... The art of cropping a SLR result until it reaches cellphone levels is beyond me.