Veteran Member

Pentax once anounced a FF camera

Interesting, Pentax once announced a FF camera at Photokina

Pentax MZ-D - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

08-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not.

To conclude, we would like to ask, on behalf the members of both our of forums, if there have been any developments concerning the Pentax full-frame since your letter to us, especially considering the fact that other major brands have just announced “enthusiast” full-frame DSLRs?

Ok, well you know the letter was telling you that although we did not have specific plans of development, we were following and analyzing the possibilities to use full-frame. I would say that we even analyze this more now. But I still cannot tell you about any concrete plan, but definitely it's of course something which is "in the air for the moment", I would say.
08-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Interesting, Pentax once announced a FF camera at Photokina

Pentax MZ-D - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes. That would have been their first DSLR, but the sensor (a 6MP Philips sensor as I recall) could not be made work to their satisfaction, so they never released the camera. Later we then got the *istD with an APS-C sensor.

Contax did release a DSLR with that sensor, the Contax N Digital. It was no success and Contax disappeared from the market.

The topic was previously discussed here.
08-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Not.
???

The onetime existence of the MZ-D is a historic fact that has nothing to do with the text of your comment. The original MZ-D functional prototype (digital variant of the MZ-S film camera) was built around a 6 megapixel Phillips sensor. This was big news at the time and it was a disappointment when development efforts were shifted to the APS-C *ist D (digital variant of the *ist film body) instead.

Steve

08-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think this horse is about as dead as it can get.

closed
08-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I think this horse is about as dead as it can get.

deadhorse
Closed Thread